Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Curious about the 3000 series

Hi all,

Seeing the rumors that the new Nvidia 3000 series cards are around the corner, I am curious to ask if any of you using the upcoming MSFS can comment on how a 2080Ti handles. Is it actually GPU the limit?

I read the 3080Ti will have huge amount of ram besides the core count increase.

If these new 3080Ti are a game changer in MSFS I'll be hard to resist not selling my 2080Ti after some months. I guess in a week I'll know how to max out my 2080 Ti, just curious.

The other question is how much these will cost and how much 2080 Ti prices will drop. I bought my 2080 Ti on launch at 1600 EUR (!) so I would hesitate to lose 1/3 of its price and sell it. (Now that I think of it, maybe I should wait for 7nm CPU to pair it with the 4000 series). 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

it's become clear after watching several videos that the 2080ti @4k at least struggles to maintain 60fps - even with some settings turned down.

Regarding potential price drops for the 2080Ti, from what I've read you won't get massive bargains just because the new cards are coming out - remember Nvidia have now stopped manufacturing the 20 series - so stock will be limited anyway. 

Personally I'm holding out for a 3080Ti 

EDIT: to add, with your rig the GPU will be the limit.

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

2080ti struggled in 4k most certainly.  Chewy has a powerful rig and going into kennedy at a dip to 9 and avg's in the teens.  I'm hopefuly the newest 3000 card can get us the power we need to do 4k on MSFS.  I'll be upgrading to it for sure.  Though for now I'm guessing I'll be dropping from my usual 4k to 1440

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 8/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, hanhamreds said:

Personally I'm holding out for a 3080Ti 

Me too, but depending on the price. I am not gonna pay 1600 Euros for it. However, when the 2080TI was launched for that price, as ComSimPilot said,  probably 3080ti is gonna be the same. In that case I need to wait until it decreases or look that the 3070 has to offer.

4 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

just rumors

Yes it says that everything is until launch including performance.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, G-RFRY said:

Yes it says that everything is until launch including performance.

Maybe we'll get some more information on the 1st of Sept. I hope they will reveal the prices, I am just waiting for the new cards to decide on my new system. However, it looks like I won't be able to affort the new cards anyway.

Are there any benchmarks available yet for msfs according to AMD vs Intel? Would be nice if I could at least decide on if I get the 3900x vs 10700k.

7 hours ago, 737_800 said:

Maybe we'll get some more information on the 1st of Sept. I hope they will reveal the prices, I am just waiting for the new cards to decide on my new system. However, it looks like I won't be able to affort the new cards anyway.

Are there any benchmarks available yet for msfs according to AMD vs Intel? Would be nice if I could at least decide on if I get the 3900x vs 10700k.

Intel and AMD will be showing off the new product`s next month sometime, i intend to upgrade my MB and CPU but want to find out what`s in the pipeline, GPU next year 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

7 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Intel and AMD will be showing off the new product`s next month sometime, i intend to upgrade my MB and CPU but want to find out what`s in the pipeline, GPU next year 

That's probably a good solution for people with a good system, right now. Mine is eight years old and not useable for simming anymore. So, I really don't wanna wait for the AMD 4000 CPU series. Therefore it would be nice to find out if the 10900k or 3900x is better choise. I have the feeling intel is the better one for gaming. However, I will use it for recording games and video editing and for that AMD seems the better choise. When it comes to the GPU, maybe I should look out for something that covers me until the next gen GPU appair. Realisticly, we'll first see the 3090/3080ti, and these are gonna be really expensive. So I have to wait anyway for the 3070 Super or AMD Big Navi. So why not buy a 5700XT right now.

2 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

That's probably a good solution for people with a good system, right now. Mine is eight years old and not useable for simming anymore. So, I really don't wanna wait for the AMD 4000 CPU series. Therefore it would be nice to find out if the 10900k or 3900x is better choise. I have the feeling intel is the better one for gaming. However, I will use it for recording games and video editing and for that AMD seems the better choise. When it comes to the GPU, maybe I should look out for something that covers me until the next gen GPU appair. Realisticly, we'll first see the 3090/3080ti, and these are gonna be really expensive. So I have to wait anyway for the 3070 Super or AMD Big Navi. So why not buy a 5700XT right now.

Well you can find plenty on Benchmarks on YouTube for the CPUs from testers of the present CPU`s and GPU`s 

Raymond Fry.