Sign in to follow this  
Airmanf117

Touchscreen control of knobs/buttons on RXP GTN 650/750

XP11 user here. Thinking of making the jump to RXP for nav. I was hoping to "pop-out" the windows on the GTN and drag it to my second monitor which is touchscreen and displays instruments running off of Air Manager. I would like to know if the knobs and buttons on the bezel of the RXP GTN can be controlled by the touchscreen. Can the knobs be rotated to toggle through the menus? Second question is, is it possible to assign hardware (rotary encoder or even XP knobster) to control knobs on RXP bezel?

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Airmanf117 said:

XP11 user here. Thinking of making the jump to RXP for nav. I was hoping to "pop-out" the windows on the GTN and drag it to my second monitor which is touchscreen and displays instruments running off of Air Manager. I would like to know if the knobs and buttons on the bezel of the RXP GTN can be controlled by the touchscreen. Can the knobs be rotated to toggle through the menus? Second question is, is it possible to assign hardware (rotary encoder or even XP knobster) to control knobs on RXP bezel?

Thanks!

Yes to all of these.....

The RXP GTN units will work with the "sim" commands... when you enable that option after installation.  

Also the RealSimGear guys make a great set of Screen/Bezels for the GNS and GTN series that will also work with the RXP software.

However a GTN only has a couple of Buttons and a Knob so it's pretty easy to build a dual Encoder and some buttons connected to an Arduino Pro Micro..

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly

Thank you for the response. I will have to familiarize myself a bit more with the sim commands. I'm assuming this is how you assign home built instruments via Arduino etc. I am shying away from the RealSimGear option because each one is a dedicated screen which my PC would have to process. The 650/750 would add two monitors. I would like to create a virtual stack with the 650/750 and some radios and autopilot running off air manager on the same touch screen. I am concerned about operating the knob because those can be tricky on in touch screen.

Edited by Airmanf117
Typo

9 hours ago, Airmanf117 said:

Thank you for the response. I will have to familiarize myself a bit more with the sim commands. I'm assuming this is how you assign home built instruments via Arduino etc. I am shying away from the RealSimGear option because each one is a dedicated screen which my PC would have to process. The 650/750 would add two monitors. I would like to create a virtual stack with the 650/750 and some radios and autopilot running off air manager on the same touch screen. I am concerned about operating the knob because those can be tricky on in touch screen.

I use a realsimgear 750.  A GNS530 which I 3D printed and built, a FDS CDU, 2 side monitors for running weather charts and pop out gauges and finally a 43 inch 4K monitor for the main view of P3D......The extra monitors don't seem to do much to the sim....

any Virtual Knob is going to be at the mercy of you touch screen and how good it is....

Making some Knobs and Arduino is easy the "Sim commands" mean the commands that the simulator can send to the GPS....ie for bounding to buttons.

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly