Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

WALKING in MSFS2020

Wow! That's a very nice feature! Forget flying, i'm gonna walk, from New York to San Francisco...real time. And maybe i'm gonna cross the Alps...on an elephant.

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

15 minutes ago, Wildblue said:

And maybe i'm gonna cross the Alps...on an elephant.

I'll take a donkey...and the Army of the Reserve. We'll outflank the Austrians in Lombardy. That'll show them.

Oops, wrong game...

• Like 2

Watch out for agent Smith! 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

47 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Walking in a sim is not exactly new. P3D has had it for years now and Orbx introduced the concept before. 

Something stunning is to walk a scenery you doodle. Everything looks different, more real. Walking a runway you drew in a couple of minutes takes an eternity. A strange experience. Like watching a movie and then suddenly finding yourself IN the movie.

True, not a new concept at all, even in FS2004, you could walk, & even drive around. Going down the roads at Las Vegas was great fun.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I ve done this allready the last years in P3D in VR with a gamepad. Thanks to some ORBX addons it looked great.

isn't that great, flying to new airfields, taking a break, walking around, drinking coffee and then flying on again.

Its allready fun but it will be fantastic when VR arrives 😎👍

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Walking in a sim is not exactly new. P3D has had it for years now and Orbx introduced the concept before. 

Previous simulators also had planes and flying, doesn't mean people can't be excited 😉

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

It’s going to be fun to hunt down the caves with snoring bears inside. The environmental sounds will come into their own then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Like watching a movie and then suddenly finding yourself IN the movie.

"Last Action Hero"!!  Too cool!
(See how many intentional continuity errors you can spot.)

There is something slightly magical about being able to walk around in an area you previously could only see from the cockpit of your plane.  Not to mention the incredible screen shot opportunities.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, Bottle said:

It’s going to be fun to hunt down the caves with snoring bears inside. The environmental sounds will come into their own then.

Look!  Bear tracks.  You follow them to see where he went, I'll follow them the other way to see where he's been.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

It would be great to have a raft or kayak in the plane and be able to seamlessly go from flying to rafting. I could see developers adding fishing apps and the like. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bottle said:

What will happen when you accidentally walk into the spinning prop?

I don't know what happens in MSFS, but I once had it happen in the A2A Stratocruiser.  I wasn't watching at the time. 🙂 Hint:  Always shut down the engines on the left side of the plane before deplaning passengers.

I didn't have to refund his return ticket though.  Company policy is that all refunds must be requested in person. 😄 

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

I saw this and whilst it looked good, I think you have to keep in mind that there's likely little to no hit detection in that mode. The camera is completely free to move around as it pleases (horizontal and vertical). You notice that as he walks upstairs he is the one increasing the height rather than it being stuck to the floor. It's likely that it will keep the camera above the base ground level by a small margin, but not at a pre-configured height, say that of a person for example. It will be nice for a quick stroll around on flat surfaces, but you'll have to do most of the work yourself to keep things looking believable.

I do hope they add a person camera in the future though as I can't imagine it would be too hard since they've got all the basics there now.

9 minutes ago, tronied said:

You notice that as he walks upstairs he is the one increasing the height rather than it being stuck to the floor.

Ah, that's interesting that you say it because I actually had a different impression. Especially looking at those stair scenes. But I don't know for sure.

I think we can agree on this sim looking amazing at some places no matter if you explore it at 5 or 40000 feet.

WTH is that tree doing there tho? (and no, I am not referring to the size... 🙄)

Edited by badderjet