Sign in to follow this  
RIVASE1

MSFS 2020 UPDATE

11 minutes ago, robert young said:

But they've already shipped thousands of DVD versions to retailers, so I assume that when you install you have the option to download an update?

*lol* These days, day-one patches are bigger than the actual game. 😁

This is also why the DVD option always seemed kind of silly to me.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 3

With any luck the day-one patch won't be any bigger than the full download would have been without the patch.  Yeah, I'm an optimist. 🙂 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Oh Lordy, I just thought of something.  We could end up getting a full download PLUS a day-one patch.  <sigh>  Ok, less optimistic now.

Question: "What is the optimum download speed you need?"
Answer: "Do you mean to run the sim, or to download it?"

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

26 minutes ago, robert young said:

But they've already shipped thousands of DVD versions to retailers, so I assume that when you install you have the option to download an update?

My guess is that it isn't an option, you probably won't be able to play without downloading the update. At the very least none of the online features will work without it.

24 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

The point of the DVD version was for content rather than core, primarily to avoid a large world/map download. It was always expected it would need patching with some updates from day one - but it's still going to be a 1-4 GB instead of 80+ GB download which is a huge difference if you have limited connectivity.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

29 minutes ago, robert young said:

Yep, that's a common practise those days. The so called day 1 patches.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

I don't even have an optical drive in my -invisible-silent-pc-that-looks-like-a-desk-drawer-

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

1 hour ago, robert young said:

According to Aerosoft the DVDs do not even include the the simulator itself, just the content. It will have to be downloaded, and will automatically be updated to the latest build.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

According to Aerosoft the DVDs do not even include the the simulator itself, just the content. It will have to be downloaded, and will automatically be updated to the latest build.

Ah right. Thanks.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

These days, day-one patches are bigger than the actual game. 😁

Aerosoft did good market research if you ask me. There's a large customer base that's old men ossified in their ways and distrustful of anything new. Rumour has it there are some long beard hold outs in their mountain log cabins still playing FS95 by kerosine lamp light.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bottle said:

Aerosoft did good market research if you ask me. There's a large customer base that's old men ossified in their ways and distrustful of anything new. Rumour has it there are some long beard hold outs in their mountain log cabins still playing FS95 by kerosine lamp light.

Its just for collectors, i preffer to have a box at the shelf next to the old MS Flightsim boxes, nothing more or less, some people maybe find this silly, but compared to just a electrical key they have a value.

but i will play the steam version anyway 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

Oh Lordy, I just thought of something.  We could end up getting a full download PLUS a day-one patch.  <sigh>  Ok, less optimistic now.

Question: "What is the optimum download speed you need?"
Answer: "Do you mean to run the sim, or to download it?"

Hook

If there’s no pre-installs until launch day, the day one patch would be rolled into the initial install. Not two separate batches. Perhaps that’s why they are withholding pre-installs, which I still think is unwise, even if it is because they plan a day-one patch.