Sign in to follow this  
jellisampvo

750 Erroneous Gear Warning and Visual Approach Not Working

I have purchased the GTN 750 and have it installed.  I use FS9 because I have extensive scenery and aircraft for that version. 

The first issue I am having is that on any regular approach (I'm a PIRL) to any airport, even though the gear and the flaps are down, the unit give me a TAWS A "Too Low Gear" warning.  This happens at all airports (Tried over 30) and I have checked all settings, but can't get it to go away.  

Secondly, the Visual Approach mode lands short of the runway and doesn't display glideslope information on most EADI's.  If I change the gauge out to one that the glideslope information does display on, the aircraft still lands short. - about 300 to 400 feet short of the Threshold.  This happens at any airport also.  

I would really appreciate any help.  I have all the settings for the GTN 750 set according to the forums here and the manual.  My system is a Windows 10 system AMD2950X, AMD Radeon VII, 128GB Ram.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

So I spent more time looking through the documentation for the GTN750 and I can't find any reason for the Erroneous Gear Warning.  I've opened the .CFG files for both the RXP side and the Garmin side of things and nothing is there to edit that would address this problem.  Please help. - I own every legacy RXP product.  What is wrong with the settings of the unit or the aircraft?

Secondly, I have tried the Visual Approach Mode into more than 30 airports.  The results are the same.  The aircraft flies below the PAPI or VASI and lands about 300 to 400 feet short of the Threshold of the Runway.  This does not happen if I use a Published LPV Approach to the same Runway.  For example, if you try KAPA Runway 28 and use the Visual 28 mode the aircraft lands short, but if I use the GPS 28 LPV mode, it follows the glide path directly to the correct altitude.  This makes no sense since I am using the same aircraft for both approaches. (Beech Royal Duke V2)  However, it also give the exact same results in any FS9 Stock Aircraft with the Exact Same Settings for the GTN750.  Is there a coding error in the GTN750 or does this feature not actually work correctly in FS9.  Please advise.- As I stated in the initial post I am a Pilot in real life and have used the GTN750 and the Garmin 600 series products in actual real world flying.  They do not have this issue.

Finally, I can upload video of both problems I am encountering if necessary.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who might be able to help.  I purchased this unit because I use one in the aircraft I fly, and felt it would be a great way to stay proficient when not flying.

Jeff

As for gear warnings.. select TAWS B in the GTN settings.

Now, you can turn off Terrain Warnings on the Terrain page.

As for RNAV landings, I believe you are running into differences between the FS9 airport scenery and the GTN Garmin map.  If the runway was extended at some point, the GTN map would reflect that, but the FS9 scenery would not have changed.  Luckily, that is why we have real pilots in the cockpits and a visual landing is just that.. 🙂

Lastly as for displaying GS info on the EADI, check the test page when powering up the GTN.  If the EADI does not correctly show the GS, try changing the settings, like Link VOR, until the GS appears.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Hi Bert, 

Thanks for the info.  Just a couple of questions.

1. Why would I need or want to turn off the terrain warnings?  They have worked perfectly in the RXP Sandel 3400 TAWS gauge for years.  Did RXP somehow change the coding in the GTN that it fails to work correctly.  As I stated in my previous post, I own all the RXP legacy products, and until the original Garmin Data Base for the G500w and G400w stopped working with Windows 10 all these products worked as advertised and actually just like the Real Thing in the aircraft that I have flown.  One of the reasons I purchased the GTN 750 was the upgrade from the Sandel TAWS that it provided.  I would not have made this purchase if the GTN750 is not going to work correctly.  Also, more to your point for the TAWS, obviously I could simply Push the Inhibit Button once the Gear Warning Sounds.
  2. To your point about the differences between the Garmin Map and FS9 scenery, I understand exactly what you are saying and agree.  However, I checked the FS9 airports and corresponding runways with ADE(Latest Paid Version) and the Charts in the Garmin Data Base being used.  They both match up.  That is why I am curious about what would cause the Visual Mode not to work on a runway that also have a Published GPS approach, and the GTN 750 Flies the Published GPS approach perfectly.  I took the time and tried this 30 different airports in various parts of the US to see if it was just an anomaly.  It is not.  For example, if you fly the Visual 28 approach into Centennial Airport (Kapa) in Denver, CO, the aircraft lands short.  But that same runway has a GPS RNAV LPV approach available and the GTN 750 F files right to the correct location on the runway, and if the plane were equipped with an Auto-Land feature, would execute the complete approach and landing with no issues.  What I am wondering, is there either a User Setting in the GTN 750 that can be adjusted to change the Threshold Crossing Height Value to help correct the issue or a Setting in the GTN 750 Config file that can be change to fix the problem?  In full discloser, I use the GTN 750 in real flying and both the Glideslope Degree Angle and the TCH values can be changed by the user.

Thanks again for all your help and I hope I can get this unit working like all the other great products that RXP created in the past.

Jeff 

Re 1... something changed with the latest update.. The GTN always defaulted to TAWS B, and now it defaults to TAWS A..  I have asked the question on the forum and not seen answer.

Re 2... I really do not know, I frequently fly LPV approaches in P3D V5, but rarely visual approaches, and if I did, I guess I would handfly the last bit anyway and correct as required..

Don't know about user settings.. sorry..

Bert

I am still looking for a solution to the issues that Bert and I have been discussing.  I would love to hear from someone at RXP on this issue.  It is really annoying that the TAWS does not work correctly.  Also, if the Visual Approach Mode does not work, I would appreciate someone at RXP letting me know.  I can't be the only person still using FS9.  Plus, FSX Accelerator will not even load in Windows 10 on my system.  Just an FYI, I do have all the original discs for all FS products from FS2000 through FSX Accelerator.  Very disappointing that someone spends good money on a product and it does not work as advertised.  I may consider contacting F1, the seller of the product currently for a refund!

Jeff

Edited by RXP

So EVEDENTLY - RXP IS NOT the company they once were. 

I am really disappointed that NO ONE at RXP seems to care that the Product is not working correctly. 

I will be contacting F1 customer service if I do not hear from someone  at RXP by tomorrow. 

I really can't understand the lack of support for this current product. 

Jeff

Edited by RXP

On 8/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, jellisampvo said:

So EVEDENTLY - RXP IS NOT the company they once were. 

I am really disappointed that NO ONE at RXP seems to care that the Product is not working correctly. 

I will be contacting F1 customer service if I do not hear from someone  at RXP by tomorrow. 

I really can't understand the lack of support for this current product. 

Jeff

So it is the summer time....people take vacations......and it's also the weekend......You are having a pretty entitled behaviour and are expecting that since you paid 35 dollars US you deserve to have instant reply and support even on a weekend?

Maybe just calm down a little....This is the garmin trainer.....so maybe if you fly a real GTN750 why not see if in the GARMIN trainer you load up the 750 and maybe a G3X touch and see what it will do if you load that same visual approach....and also see if you can access the same settings that you are looking for in the trainer....if not then there would be no way for the reality xp implementation either.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Les O'Reilly

Hi Les,

If you look at the previous posts, they certainly did not start on the weekend.  Also, as I stated in the previous posts, I am a Commercial Pilot in real life, and have used the Actual Real GTN750 from Garmin in planes that I fly.  

To your point about the Garmin Trainer and the Visual Approaches, it does fly them just fine, and I have tested my issue with the Visual Approaches in FS9 at 30 various airports.  Most of which also have some other published GPS or RNAV approach to the same runway as I tried the Visual Approaches too.  Alas, in every case, in the sim, the plane lands short.  Also, using ADE - The Paid Version - I checked that the actual runway lengths and they matched the Garmin Trainer Data Base Charts for these airports.  Secondly, regardless of the Visual Approach feature, the Gear Warning is also malfunctioning and that certainly does not happen in the Garmin Trainer.  So I am just trying to figure out what coding or config setting might be missing that I can fix to eliminate the issue.

Also, as I stated in the previous posts, I own all of the Legacy RXP products, and never had any issues before or currently with any of their products.  However, I do know that the company went out of business for a while.  I realize it is only $35.00.  But in my line of work, the cost of the part does not determine the level of attention I pay to my customers.  I truly hope to find a solution to the issues because I do like my previous RXP products and still use them today.

Jeff  

Hi all.  To further complicate matters, the checklist button does not even appear in my GTN750. I have loaded one of the default check lists from the Garmin zip file and renamed it Checklist.gtn  I am not sure if there was a download corruption of the file or not.  Also, the Weather Box and the Music/Data Box are both Grayed Out on my unit.  In the videos I have watched, those both look like they worked.  I can send a screenshot of each of the issues if that will be helpful.

Thanks again to anyone who has information that might be useful to address these issues.

Jeff

15 hours ago, jellisampvo said:

Hi Les,

If you look at the previous posts, they certainly did not start on the weekend.  Also, as I stated in the previous posts, I am a Commercial Pilot in real life, and have used the Actual Real GTN750 from Garmin in planes that I fly.  

To your point about the Garmin Trainer and the Visual Approaches, it does fly them just fine, and I have tested my issue with the Visual Approaches in FS9 at 30 various airports.  Most of which also have some other published GPS or RNAV approach to the same runway as I tried the Visual Approaches too.  Alas, in every case, in the sim, the plane lands short.  Also, using ADE - The Paid Version - I checked that the actual runway lengths and they matched the Garmin Trainer Data Base Charts for these airports.  Secondly, regardless of the Visual Approach feature, the Gear Warning is also malfunctioning and that certainly does not happen in the Garmin Trainer.  So I am just trying to figure out what coding or config setting might be missing that I can fix to eliminate the issue.

Also, as I stated in the previous posts, I own all of the Legacy RXP products, and never had any issues before or currently with any of their products.  However, I do know that the company went out of business for a while.  I realize it is only $35.00.  But in my line of work, the cost of the part does not determine the level of attention I pay to my customers.  I truly hope to find a solution to the issues because I do like my previous RXP products and still use them today.

Jeff  

Congratulations on being a Commercial Pilot in real life --- I am just a Lowly PPL with an IFR..... Your Professional association with being a Pilot does not make you special or have any added weight to your issue.....if anything it makes you come off as even more of an entitled complainer.  And SORRY but the cost does reflect the service ability and expectation.  When I pay 450 Dollars for a "Hinge" or 680 dollars for a parking brake cable on an airplane I expect service.  When I pay 35 dollars to attach an amazing Garmin trainer to my Sim I don't expect the same level of attention....More than 35 dollars has been spent on my time to respond to this.

Your first post is Thursday night at 7:12pm ... We have not seen any responses in over a week from RXP...again being that they are Canadian and with all that has been going on in our provinces regarding lock downs and return to some amount of "normal" I would make it a good bet people are on Vacation.......

I would suggest you also search for responses regarding your checklist issue.  It appears like others are having an issue as well with checklists and a search will find those threads and maybe give you some ideas on how to address your issues.

Les O'Reilly

Well Les, 

I didn't realize that you were so sensitive.  I didn't address the issue of pilot ratings for anything more than the context that I use the actual product from Garmin and therefore have intimate knowledge of how it operates outside of a simulated environment.  

As to your COVID reference, we here in the US have the same issues, but my company still strives to address all customer concerns in a professional and timely manner.  Perhaps rather than worrying about defending what RXP is doing, or attempting to disparage me personally, you could provided some constructive help or simply not post to this thread.  

As I stated in replies to Bert's Posts, I have done as much research as possible, including reading all available information here on this site, as well as watching approximately 15 hours of Youtube videos on the use and set-up of this product.  To that end, I have attempted every suggestion and followed closely the ideas proffered up to correct the issues.  But had any of those corrections solved my issues, I would not have started this thread in the first place.

Still hoping for some actual answers and resolutions to the issues.

Thanks for everything,

Jeff

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay, some might consider small and normal (august, covid, sun, familly, anything else), some others outrageously unacceptable.

The point is we're trying our best, and I thank you for your enduring patience and I'm glad to read you've enjoyed our products for so many years and they are still running fine on your FS9 installation. This shows value in the product is not just in its sole price, which in this case anyhow is not much.

NB: $35 dollars is about any of: 2 Mc Donalds meals, 1 sandwich + soda at an airport, a couple dozen minutes of fuel time in flight, half the toll price driving to the beach with the family etc...

Back to the topic:

1. The GTN auto-detects TAWS settings for your aircraft but it might have failed. Please review the TAWS extended settings in the GUI (Vspeeds) so that it takes in account your gear/flaps accordingly and let us know.

2. The Visual Approach guidance is just a guidance. I don't know why it is specifically and consistently getting you short though. The 'consistency' makes me think it is either:

• bug in the trainer (which could be)

• bug in the GTN (the real GTN thus the trainer as well).

There is one such bug another customer has helped Garmin finding out thanks to the RXP GTN implementation, one which makes real pilots with real GTN at risk of 'very bad think happening to their flight'. Scary it went unnoticed because it is fundamentally breaking the GTN SID guidance.

• bug in our gauge specific to FS9 (otherwise we'd get more reports in the forum).

I doubt in this case because there is really nothing FS9 specific that I know of which could be affecting the GPS positioning or the other data input to the GTN.

• bug specific to your FS9 installation (otherwise we'd also get more reports).

There could be a 'layer' in your installation which is altering some of the internal FS9 data which our gauge picks up wrong as a consequence. Usually this would come from a FS9 module and you might want to try disabling all 3rd party modules to try out.

It is inherently had to find the root cause without any further comparison with other customers and/or other simulators on your system. If you'd had the chance to compare with FSX or P3D on your system this might be helpful.

3. Checklists

There is another discussion about this and another customer is also having a similar problem. So far it seems rooted more to the OS than the GTN trainer or our add-on, we're still investigating.

4. Weather, Music icons.

This is normal and expected. The RXP GTN doesn't ship with a WX Radar simulation nor with a SirusXM subscription.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 8/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, jellisampvo said:

Also, the Weather Box and the Music/Data Box are both Grayed Out on my unit. 

These are not simulated, so what you see is correct.

• Like 1

Bert