Sign in to follow this  
jellisampvo

750 Erroneous Gear Warning and Visual Approach Not Working

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for getting back to me.  So let me take each point one at a time.

1. I have looked at the config file for the RXP GTN and the airspeeds are correct for the airplane I have it installed in.  I prefer to use the TAWS A setting since that is what I use in real life. Also, the RXP Sandel 3400 TAWS unit that I own and use works perfectly in all the aircraft.  A great little unit I have flown with both on the sim from RXP and in real life. - Does this setting not work correctly with the RXP GTN 750 unit?  It is working fine in the Garmin Training Simulator.
  2. As to the Visual Approaches, as I stated in a previous post, these approaches work fine in the Garmin Training Simulator.  I have tried 30 different airports located in the USA on the Garmin Training Simulator and all worked fine.  However, when I try them in FS9 using the GTN 750 they do not work.  All the other types of approaches work correctly, but not the Visual ones.  I would love to work with you to ascertain why. 
  3. As to the Checklist issue, I have read everything available on this forum site about the customer issues.  However, in each case no one mentions Not Having a Checklist Button in the Service Menu Screen.  My RXP GTN 750 unit Does Not even have a Checklist Button.  However, the Garmin Training Unit Does and works just fine.  Maybe you have some other suggestions as to what might be the cause, or perhaps we could work together to correct this issue as well.
  4. As to the Weather and Data Boxes, I would like to take those one at a time.  The Weather feature work on the Garmin Training Simulator just fine.  However, even though I have the RXP WX500 unit, it will not interface on the RXP GTN 750 unit.  Not sure why this is.  I do realize that the RXP did not ship with Weather, but I figured it would interface with the WX500.  Again, I would be happy to work on this with RXP if this was how it is supposed to work.  In addition, on some videos, it showed the RXP version displaying weather.  Not sure how they accomplished that.  Finally, on to the Music/Data button.  Again, I realize that it would not actually work without a real XM subscription.  However, also in videos that I have seen, that button accessed music files on someone's computer to simulate functionality.  Additionally, in the Garmin Training Simulator, the button does work and shows weather data as if it were hooked up to an actual XM data package.  This would be another area I would be happy to work with you guys on. 

Again let me state for the record that I have had really good luck with the RXP Legacy units.  I own all of them.  So I would love to get this unit working as well as those units do.  It not only helps me personally, but it helps everyone else that buys the unit and adds to the realism and training functionality of the unit.

Thanks again for your response and also to Bert for his help and support.

Jeff  

OK let's close the Wx and XM topic for now:

This is not a real GTN connected to a real GDL aggregating and sending Wx and XM data.
The standalone trainer buttons are just 'demos' of 'pre-recordereed data' only working when flying in a pre-determined area.

As for the checklist let's get back to this later, time we investigate a little more what could be the reason.

On 8/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, jellisampvo said:

The first issue I am having is that on any regular approach (I'm a PIRL) to any airport, even though the gear and the flaps are down, the unit give me a TAWS A "Too Low Gear" warning.  This happens at all airports (Tried over 30) and I have checked all settings, but can't get it to go away.  

Secondly, the Visual Approach mode lands short of the runway and doesn't display glideslope information on most EADI's.  If I change the gauge out to one that the glideslope information does display on, the aircraft still lands short. - about 300 to 400 feet short of the Threshold.  This happens at any airport also.  

The most 2 important topics right now are TAWS and Visual Approaches. Do you agree?

TAWS: can you please post the content of the RealityXP.GTN.ini file?

Visual Approach: can you please compare whether enabling Shadin Air Data makes any difference?

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Jean-Luc,

I agree the TAWS and Visual Approaches are the most important.  Here is the GTN.ini file in the rxp folder in my Documents folder. It is the only GTN ini file I find doing a search on my computer.  Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

[GTN_750_1]
; is the master device if true.
MasterDevice = true 
; aviation db: 0: nav_db2_grm, 1: nav_db2, 2: nav_heli_db2_grmn, 3: nav_heli_db2
NavDbType = 1
; connects to: 'PFC_GTN' or any '#PID' (#D067 for PFC_GTN)
; no value connects to first found, 'OFF' disables connection.
HardwareDevice = 
; hardware selector number or -1 to disable.
HardwareIdx = -1
UseRyanTcad = true 
LinkSimGps = true 
TawsMode = TAWS_A
TawsMinLength = 1200
; TAWS flap extension speed (knots) or -1 (auto detect Vfe: 250)
TawsFlapSpeed = 160
; TAWS gear extension speed (knots) or -1 (auto detect Vle: 0)
TawsGearSpeed = 160
RyanTcadVolume = 80
AutoSavePln = true 
LinkObs = true 
OwnshipIcon = TWIN_ENGINE
UseSimGpsCmds = true 

[GTN_750_1.DEFAULT]
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = false
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; display mouse tooltips if true.
tooltips = false
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false.
usemouse = true
; enable alternate click-spots (left CCW, right CW, middle Push) if true.
usealtmouse = false
; enable default 'hand' cursor over the touch screen (2D only).
usealtcursor = false
; enable touch beyond screen bounds if true (2D only), clip if false (GTN native).
extendtouch = true
; auto-resize dimension (width,height)
refsize = 
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225) (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = 
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window by ident (ex: GPS_PANEL or 225).
popright = 
; adjust brightness (0 to 100)
brightness.bezel = 100
; offset brightness (-100 to +100)
brightness.screen = 0

Thanks Again.

Jeff

Hi Jean-Luc,

I conducted the Visual Approach test with and without the Shadin Air Data.  The results are the same.  In FS9 (Only sim I have up and running), the aircraft flies the horizontal path to the runway perfectly, but the vertical path is consistently 400 to 700 feet short of the runway.  As I stated in a previous post, I did already compare the Garmin Trainer Airport Data for each airport to the FS9 Data using the paid version of ADE9 (v1.78).  The data matches up, but for some reason the Visual Approach just doesn't work in FS9.  It works fine in the Garmin Trainer.

I am wondering if the fact that My version of the RXP GTN 750 lacks a Checklist Button, might mean I have some type of corrupted download.  Is that possible?

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Jeff 

20 hours ago, jellisampvo said:

Here is the GTN.ini file in the rxp folder in my Documents folder.

The RealityXP.GTN.ini file for the aircraft you're flying with is located in the aircraft folder itself only.

TawsMode = TAWS_A
TawsMinLength = 1200
; TAWS flap extension speed (knots) or -1 (auto detect Vfe: 250)
TawsFlapSpeed = 160
; TAWS gear extension speed (knots) or -1 (auto detect Vle: 0)
TawsGearSpeed = 160

Nonetheless, the GTN has auto detected:

• Vfe of 250 kts, which you've manually override to 160 kts.
  • Vle of 0 kts (meaning fixed gear or ignore Vle) which you've manually override to 160 Kts.

If you're configuring the TAWS with a Vle it will certainly remind you "Too Low Gear" if this is not extended. You just have to use the default value of 0 for this one.

I conducted the Visual Approach test with and without the Shadin Air Data.  The results are the same [...] I am wondering if the fact that My version of the RXP GTN 750 lacks a Checklist Button, might mean I have some type of corrupted download.  Is that possible?

Thank you for the additional tests. Rest assured the checklist has nothing to do with this.

There are 3 different ways to activate visual approaches in the GTN, all documented in the GTN Pilot's Guide chap. 6.13.

• If you're using method 3, are the GPA and TCH consistent?
  • Are you using the DB included with the Trainer or another one?

Something else to cross check (with Shadin AirData enabled):

• When sitting on the runway, display the "GSL" user field on the map and note the value.
  • Go to Utilities > DALT/TAS/Winds and enable "Use Sensor Data", cross check BARO and IALT with the GSL value.
  • Are these consistent and expected values?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-luc,

Thanks for all your help.  I gave you the .ini file from the aircraft folder in FS9.  I just wanted to be sure you didn't need the one in the RXP Folder in the ProgramData section of the C: Drive.

So as to the TAWS issues,  

The aircraft I am flying is a Turbine Royal Duke which is a Twin Turbine powered aircraft that is Pressurized and has Retractable Gear.  I changed the values of the flaps and gear because the auto detect does not match real life or the aircraft config file and .air files of the aircraft in FS9. I also fly the real version of the plane and have a real GTN 750 in the plane with TAWS A active.  In the real plane and in the FS9 aircraft config files the values I inputted are the same as what you see in the RXP GTN 750 ini file.  The "Too Low Gear" warning happens even though the gear is extended once I get to 500' agl.  Also, it happens at every airport.  (Can't be an error in FS9 since I have used the RXP Sandel 3400TAWS gauge in this same aircraft with No Issues.)  Additionally, I only asked about the checklists again since My Downloaded Version of your RXP GTN 750 does NOT even show a checklist button, so I wondered if there was something corrupted in My files.  (The Garmin Trainer Database and System work fine in the TAWS A Mode.)

The Visual Approach mode steps I follow, are:

1. Go to Procedures Button
  2. Click on Approach Button
  3. Find "Visual to RWY" required
  4. Click on that RWY Number Button
  5. Then Click on Select and Activate the Approach Button

According to everything I have read in the manuals and observed in the training videos online for the RXP GTN 750 unit, this is the only way to ensure that it actually loads the approach correctly for the autopilot to fly it.  

Also, I am using the Garmin Data Base that was included in the download, and with the Shadin Airdata enabled, I do get the correct GSL values at the airport of choice.  These values also crosscheck with the Garmin Training Unit values at the same airport with the same Baro reading.

So in both cases (TAWS and Visual), I am at a loss as to what would allow the Garmin Trainer Unit to work correctly, but the RXP GTN 750 to have these errors.  I look forward to the next trouble shooting steps you suggest. 

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Jeff  

Ok there are many information here. Let's try to address this step by step only.

1) Can you please post the content of the entire [contact_points] and [flaps.0] sections found in the aircraft.cfg file so that I cross check?

The GTN has set Vle to 0 because there is no identifiable landing gear maximum speed, and it has detected the Vfe is 250 in this aircraft (FS wise), not 160.

2) What about setting the Vle to 159 instead of 160, just in case having both same values is causing a conflict in the GTN trainer?

The 'gear down' signal requires both a Vle and the gear lever down. You need to change the Vle value in the GTN settings wich you do.
Therefore, it might be this aircraft is not using the standard FS9 gear handle position variable. Otherwise this might be a bug somehow with the trainer.

3) Can you try the same TAWS-A with a stock aircraft, like the "Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\beech_baron_58" ?

If this is working with the Baron, this will narrow the causes to your specific FS9 aircraft, otherwise, this would be a GTN bug most likely.

Edited by RXP

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the efforts.  I will address the items in order.

1. As to Number 1, here is the aircraft file:

[flaps.0]
type             = 1                                    // 1 - tail, 2 - lead
span-outboard    = 0.5                                  // 0.0 .. 1.0
extending-time   = 5                                    // seconds
flaps-position.0 = 0                                    // degrees
flaps-position.1 = 20                                   // degrees
flaps-position.2 = 40                                   // degrees
damaging-speed   = 180                                  // KIAS
blowout-speed    = 250                                  // KIAS

[contact_points]

point.0=1,  13.00,   0.00, -4.0, 1181, 0, 0.596, 39.9, 0.296, 2.5, 0.9516,  4.8,  4.8, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1=1,  -1.67,  -8.58, -4.7, 1574, 1, 0.596,  0.0, 0.642, 2.5, 0.8152,  4.5,  5.2, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2=1,  -1.67,   8.58, -4.7, 1574, 2, 0.596,  0.0, 0.642, 2.5, 0.8152,  4.8,  4.9, 3, 0.0, 0.0
point.3=2,  -3.33, -23.92, -3.00,  787, 0, 0.000,  0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0000,  0.0,  0.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0
point.4=2,  -3.33,  23.92, -3.00,  787, 0, 0.000,  0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0000,  0.0,  0.0, 6, 0.0, 0.0
point.5=2, -22.67,   0.00,  0.00,  787, 0, 0.000,  0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0000,  0.0,  0.0, 9, 0.0, 0.0
point.6=2,  23.08,   0.00, -1.50,  787, 0, 0.000,  0.0, 0.000, 0.0, 0.0000,  0.0,  0.0, 4, 0.0, 0.0

1. As to Number 2 listed above, I will give that a try shortly and let you know the outcome.
  2. As to Number 3 listed above, I tried that before starting this thread and encountered the same results.  By the same results, I mean that neither the TAWS A worked or the Visual Approaches worked correctly.

Just a reminder, that the Garmin Trainer in the TAWS A mode, and the RXP Sandel 3400TAWS unit when installed in this aircraft, both work just fine.

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Jeff

Hi Jean-Luc,

I have now also tried what you suggested in Number 2 of your post.  This has had no effect in the RXP GTN 750 unit.  As I previously stated in all my posts, the Garmin Trainer Unit is working perfectly in All TAWS Modes and in all Aircraft Modes Available.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jeff

Hi Jean-Luc,

Just checking to see if you were able to look at the files posted above?  I have checked them against other FS9 stock retractable gear aircraft and do not see anything out of place.  Please let me know what you find.

Also, please notice I tried all your previous suggestions and posted the results above.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you for the additional information.

A few questions to help me troubleshoot something I've spotted in your setting/.cfg:

1) The GTN auto-detects Vfe = 250, however, it is supposed to read get the value from reading this line:

" damaging-speed   = 180                                  // KIAS"

Is there any other [flaps.#] section with a "damaging-speed" entry of 250?

2) The GTN auto-detect Vle = 0 because this is configured like this in all [contact_points] entries:

Ex: "point.0=1,  13.00,   0.00, -4.0, 1181, 0, 0.596, 39.9, 0.296, 2.5, 0.9516,  4.8,  4.8, 0, 0.0, 0.0"

As for the TAWS it is possible the GTN non-volatile memory is corrupted. I'd suggest you try this:

1) Open File Explorer and browse to:

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\nonvol"

2) Rename the GTN non-volatile memory for your device (list of file names in the RXP GTN User's Manual p21).

For example with the GTN 750 Unit#1: rename sys_nandi into sys_nandi.taws_not_working

3) Launch FS9 again and the GTN will re-create a default non-volatile memory file.

4) Check if the TAWS is working now.

Edited by RXP

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks again for your help. 

As to Item Number 1, there is not another Flaps setting area in the Aircraft Config File.

As to Item Number 2, I will try changing the last values to 160, and 200 , 200 and see if that makes a difference.

As for the TAWS, I will give that a try and report back.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Jeff

Hi Jean-Luc,

I tried changing the values in Item Number 2.  This had no effect on the Erroneous Gear Warning.  It still happens at about 500' AGL even though the flaps are full down and the gear shows 3 down and locked.

Also, I tried as you suggested for the TAWS and renamed the previous novol file and then Re-started FS9.  Sadly, this had no effect either.  

I await your further ideas to attempt to correct the issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by jellisampvo
misspelling

At this stage the only other probable cause is a 3rd party module interfering. This could be FSUIPC or another module which is always loaded with FS9 even if you don't use it (many airliner aircraft usually ship with a permanently loaded module for example). You might want to try on a 'clean' FS9 install to compare whether this is external or internal cause.

Otherwise we'll need more days prior getting back to testing and trying to find out what could be the reason TAWS is doing this on your system because we are right in the middle of another deeper change due to XP11.50 approaching release, along with a couple other enhancements and fixes already in the pipeline.

Hi Jean-Juc,

I have now tried that last thing you requested, which was a fresh install of FS9, insuring that NO other 3rd Party Modules were installed.  Even disconnected All Flight Controllers.

As I had suspected, the results are exactly the same.  The Gear Warning is still erroneous and the TAWS does not function correctly in either mode.

As I stated before, I still do not understand how my downloaded gauge can look differently from the ones on the You tube videos for the FS9 Sim or the Garmin Trainer, and still be functioning correctly.  I realize you seem to want to ignore the possibility that there is something corrupted in the FS9 download version, but I am quite sure after all the research that I have performed, that this has to be the case.  As I stated in several previous posts, My Unit - The One on My Computer does not even have a Checklist Button anywhere, and since the Visual Approach System, the Auto Config Detection System, and the TAWS System Do Not Function Correctly, a person with average computer knowledge can only presume that there is something either corrupted in the downloader, or there are several bugs in the coding in the FS9 version of the Gauge.  

I realize that you are busy, with as you put it in your previous post, more important issues.  Also, I realize from your previous posts and the ones of Les O'Rilley, that since it is only 35 bucks, I should just go away.  However, I am quite sure that I am not the only person who is having these issues, and I did verify before I purchased this item, that it worked in FS9.

Perhaps, we can give this the attention it deserves and try to fix this for the betterment of all the users of this gauge in FS9.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Jeff