Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Pay attention to your settings to avoid stutters

24 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

That's right, because 1440p won't divide exactly into 2160p (the result is 1.5, which means some rendered pixels get split across two physical pixels and thus you are reliant on the quality of the scaler in your display device to avoid horrible blur and jaggies).

Whereas 1080p will divide into 2160p perfectly, each rendered pixel is displayed across 4 physical pixels in the display.

I’m running 3840x1660 so god knows what that equates to then! 

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

That's right, because 1440p won't divide exactly into 2160p (the result is 1.5, which means some rendered pixels get split across two physical pixels and thus you are reliant on the quality of the scaler in your display device to avoid horrible blur and jaggies).

Whereas 1080p will divide into 2160p perfectly, each rendered pixel is displayed across 4 physical pixels in the display.

I thought I read that since MSFS uses integer scaling the divide by 2 thing doesn't really make a big difference anymore like in the past?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Ive set mine to 30GB, but it probably needs to be more like 100GB, but its not really clear how this is used.

I have 500GB of ssd space for this but as yet have no idea how to use it. I was hoping I would be able to download an area , say the UK for instance and use straight from disk. Hopefully it will become clear from the help files, although I have not heard of anyone referring to them.

Mick

33 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I thought I read that since MSFS uses integer scaling the divide by 2 thing doesn't really make a big difference anymore like in the past?

If you use the in-game scaler, that's right, assuming it's decent quality. Although you would still lose some sharpness on instrumentation like any resolution reduction.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, mickatmian said:

I have 500GB of ssd space for this but as yet have no idea how to use it.

I did find in my testing that if you select Ultra, but you have low internet speed, mine is 20Mbps, it will throw a warning and eventually will freeze and send you back to start - i had to back down my graphics settings.  Im down to medium at the moment.  So for those spending on hardware, you better make sure you have the bandwidth to handle the load or you'll have to back down your settings....just FYI

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

44 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

I did find in my testing that if you select Ultra, but you have low internet speed, mine is 20Mbps, it will throw a warning and eventually will freeze and send you back to start - i had to back down my graphics settings.  Im down to medium at the moment.  So for those spending on hardware, you better make sure you have the bandwidth to handle the load or you'll have to back down your settings....just FYI

Very useful info, thanks.

10 hours ago, Slides said:

There's a slider in the graphics settings in the game. It will upscale back to 4K after rendering at a lower resolution. I hear 70% is near imperceptible when upscaled to 4K.

So do you set resolution to 4K then the slider to 70 percent?  Or 1440 and 70 percent if you have a 4k screen 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 minutes ago, micstatic said:

So do you set resolution to 4K then the slider to 70 percent?  Or 1440 and 70 percent if you have a 4k screen 

4K and slider to 70. It will render at 30% lower resolution and then upscale back to your native 4K res. The upscale algorithms have gotten really good. Should have a nice fps increase and be visually imperceptible. Anything lower you might start noticing the difference. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Only problem is once you've had a 4K monitor for a year everything lower is a blurry mess. 1080P movies seem to look great on a 4K display but not games from my experience 😞

Hopefully this improves over time

• Upvote 1

and we were led to believe FS2020 will be the end of having to tweak with cfg files and game settings to remove stutter.

Glad that the painful truth is starting to emerge as we go closer to the 18th.. 

I think stuttering is going to be the key topic of discussion for quite a while after the 18th.

Edited by molleh

Decreasing rendering scale ingame and increasing image sharpening in NVCP, and enabling HAGS in Windows 10 may help with the stutters. G-Sync also seems to be supported if your monitor has it.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

There seems to be such differing reports from people.  I'm trying to figure out how well my 3700x/2080/32GB DDR4 3600 will do on high at an ultrawide 3440x1440.

5 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Decreasing rendering scale ingame and increasing image sharpening in NVCP, and enabling HAGS in Windows 10 may help with the stutters. G-Sync also seems to be supported if your monitor has it.

That was my plan of attack as well - however what's HAGS?

Edit: Just googled it. Hardware Accelerated Scheduling. I don't look to have the option as my driver version isn't up to date. Wonder if it makes much of a difference 

Edited by DMojo

4 hours ago, vMambaaa said:

There seems to be such differing reports from people.  I'm trying to figure out how well my 3700x/2080/32GB DDR4 3600 will do on high at an ultrawide 3440x1440.

you'll be pleasantly surprised 

4 hours ago, vMambaaa said:

Semper Fi