Sign in to follow this  
antic81

Historical Weather

Hi there,

I am wondering about the options for historical weather in the sim as the title suggests. I've only seen two options (again I may have missed it) but there appears to be an option for real time live weather, or custom weather.

The idea being that if there was some particular type of weather say on a Tuesday, but life gets in the way and you don't get a chance to go flying until say Wednesday, would historical weather be an option? Similar to how Active Sky can inject historical weather or tie into the date and time set in the sim? If I set sim date and time to my desired date and time would the weather be accurate?

Realistically I will likely be flying at night when the boss and the kiddie are asleep don't really want to set the time to daylight but then the weather still be live and therefore the temperatures and fronts etc to be out of sync.

Its not the end of the world if this isn't an option, just wondered if anyone knew?

Many thanks,

Anthony 

• Like 3

Anthony Milner

You will be like me, waiting for Active Sky for MSFS. 😄 

Currently no option for historical weather in the Beta.  Don't know what plans are for the future.  Don't know if the option will be in the release version, but I'm not optimistic.

Wait and see.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Have Active Sky mentioned jumping onboard? I mean I've been getting their products since they first rolled out who knows how long ago?! So yup, I am terrible. I already have a whole bunch lined up from Orbx! Someone's got to keep the economy going! 

• Like 1

Anthony Milner

Historical weather. Is that like when you want the same weather as at the Battle of Waterloo, Trafalgar, Agincourt or something? 🤣 Not sure Asobo would be down for those three in particular. Can't think why.

Then again, the Yanks named a Piper the Saratoga, which was a battle where us Brits got our asses handed to us, and it doesn't appear to have affected UK sales of the type.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, antic81 said:

I am wondering about the options for historical weather in the sim as the title suggests.

Has been brought up now and then:

On 8/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, RALF9636 said:

I agree, historic weather and traffic is a most essential feature for me.

Being limited to live weather and traffic is problematic if

- you want to fly at a certain time of day in the sim and/or in a certain time zone

- you want to fly at a certain time of year in the sim

- you want to train the same scenario repeatedly several times

- you want to relive the weather you experienced once in real live

- you need to pause the sim (at least if you pause for a prolongued time)

- you use time compression / accelerated sim rate

- you need to save the flight midflight and continue the flight another day

- etc.

In all these cases live weather and live traffic would just be plain wrong.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, RALF9636 said:

To get back on topic, I agree the weather depiction looks amazing and the user interface is quite handy as well. It still lacks an essential feature in its current state though:

If you change the time and date apparently only the position of the sun and thus the lighting changes, but the weather stays the same. It remains the live weather from the current real world time which will be completely unrealistic if you changed the time of day or the time of year in the sim. So you are forced to bother with manually changing the weather from the user interface which not only takes some effort but also takes away from the immersion a lot. I don't like flying with scripted weather I created myself, I'd rather have the variety and imponderability of real world weather - but realistically according to the time of day and time of year I chose in-sim.

What I want to see is the weather changing according to real world historic weather data in sync with the in-sim time and date. We have that in P3D with Active Sky for years and I use it all the time.

Given that Meteoblue offers a large archive of historic weather data I still can't believe MSFS will come without historic weather. I still hope it's just a limitation of the Alpha / Beta.

No word from them on this topic though so far.

Either we will be positively surprised on release day or it must be way down low on their agenda and we will have to set our hopes on HIFI / Active Sky.

Edited by RALF9636

Ah I missed that post Ralph. I guess it may be something to do with how Met Blue injects data into the sim, perhaps the only option is live currently. I’d be surprised if they didn’t have an archive going back to some point in time, perhaps a year or maybe more, again not sure! Also that raises an interesting point, would Hi-Fi not use them as a data source? 

Either way I’d expect a solution to pop up in the next 6 months or so! Again not even sure that Hi-Fi have announced their intentions? 

Anthony Milner

I seem to remember, way back at the end of last year, possibly beginning of this year that you could fly offline and use historical weather data then. 

Does anyone else remember this. 

12 minutes ago, antic81 said:

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have an archive going back to some point in time, perhaps a year or maybe more, again not sure!

Meteoblue have an archive going back 30 years in hourly resolution.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/historyplus

I don't know of course if these archive contains all the data that they provide in their live weather, probably not. But anyway it should be feasible to inject these historic data into the sim instead of the live data.

Since the Weather history+ feature of metoblue is a - quite expensive- fee based offer (only one year backwards is free - which would already be fine for me btw.), I can imagine that this might come as DLC. Pure speculation of course.

12 minutes ago, antic81 said:

Again not even sure that Hi-Fi have announced their intentions? 

As far as I am aware, they have not so far.

Edited by RALF9636