Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

For those still not convinced by the clouds

3 minutes ago, armchair_pilot said:

This is beyond impressive. Just look at those beautiful fluffy clouds as soon as he breaks through them after 5:30.

They're a little bit 'mashed potato soft' compared to the real things at that range, but even so, it's way better than anything which has gone before in a mainstream sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hopefully when they update the FX they can work on the effects of going through clouds and rain as right now it doesn’t look like the wipers have any affect on the droplets

• Upvote 1

Just now, UAL4life said:

Hopefully when they update the FX they can work on the effects of going through clouds and rain as right now it doesn’t look like the wipers have any affect on the droplets

Yup, this is the start of the tweaking. Just think what a developer such as HiFi Simulations could do with this as a starting point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Actually the clouds look like the 512x512 res clouds back in the days of FSX.

And again too much grey!

Edited by ThomseN_inc

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

2 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I'd love to know what version of FSX you had which managed to look like that 15 years ago!

Edited by Chock
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 6

Alan Bradbury

That is just magnificent. 2020 is no longer the year of billboard clouds, the 'doughnut weather systems' and overcast with huge gaps in the clouds. Bring it on!

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'd love to know what version of FSX you had which managed to look like that 15 years ago!

I can remember there was an option to set cloud res in some 3rd Party programs. Additionally i edited some clouds myself.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

6 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

And again too much grey!

You might be happier if you cut out pieces of paper and stick it to your monitor. 

• Like 8

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

22 minutes ago, Chock said:

They're a little bit 'mashed potato soft' compared to the real things at that range, but even so, it's way better than anything which has gone before in a mainstream sim.

I agree that there is still room for improvement. I feel like this is just the beginning and they might look even more real in the future as soon as updates start dropping in. Considering how the 2D sprites in FSX/P3D look, this is a massive leap.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I can remember there was an option to set cloud res in some 3rd Party programs. Additionally i edited some clouds myself.

Got any videos or screenshots to back up these statements? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AKMGuru said:

Got any videos or screenshots to back up these statements? 

Nope....but you just needed to change the res of the texture using any paint program and copy them into the folder. I can also remember there was something like a "performance clouds" package downloadable either here on avsim or flightsim.com. Cant't remember which one it was.

37 minutes ago, Chock said:

What does that mean? 

37 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

And again too much grey!

Can you understand, that those are a full volumetric clouds depends on the real meteorogical conditions? Nothing comparable to cardboard pictures, as was in every other sims with use an ordinary textures in diverse resolutions. MSFS clouds don't use a flat textures, which can be repladec by better pictures.

Edited by ludekbrno
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ludekbrno said:

Can you understand, that those are a full volumetric clouds depends on the real meteorogical conditions? Nothing comparable to cardboard pictures, asi in every other sims with use an ordinary textures in diverse resolutions. MSFS clouds don't use a flat textures, which can be repladec by better pictures.

Yes i surely do understand that. But it doesn't change the fact that they look low res to me.

• Like 1