Sign in to follow this  
Pepsimachine

Sunken Bridges

There is no issue, this is quite realistic: https://gfycat.com/weirdscaredhawaiianmonkseal

Edited by Paladin2005
  • Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

In that stream of London released the other day, I noted at least one bridge over the Thames completely submerged, one or two others with submerged ends, at least one with "drop down ends", and the Hungerford Rail Bridge (the one adjacent to Charing Cross Station) exhibited an increase in height on the north side :huh:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don't think it can fixed yet with a global setting. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1 hour ago, Slides said:

I don't think it can fixed yet with a global setting. 

Yes, it can be fixed, it just takes a lot of work and custom objects.

There's basically two cases here: Photogrammetry and autogen. In autogen areas, bridges either get placed as a generic bridge object, which looks, well, generic, or get ignored completely (this leads to sunken bridges, which are essentially the satellite image of the bridge on the ground texture, with the water mask on top of it). The fix here would be to introduce custom 3D objects in place of the autogen bridges. Examples of this can be seen in the OrbX London Landmarks scenery.

In photogrammetry areas, bridges mostly lead to solid "dam"-like structures, because photogrammetry is essentially an extension of the ground mesh within the sim. In some cases, Asobo have already replaced these "dams" with custom bridges, a few examples can be seen around New York and San Francisco.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

I’m sure it can be fixed. If the AI can identify what is water and what is land and what is road, it can easily identify when road completely crosses any water. Interpret that as a bridge. Remove the image from the underlying satellite image and then procedurally draw a bridge. It’s just a matter of training and some rules set up. I’m sure Blackshark can eventually crack it.

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Yes, it can be fixed, it just takes a lot of work and custom objects.

There's basically two cases here: Photogrammetry and autogen. In autogen areas, bridges either get placed as a generic bridge object, which looks, well, generic, or get ignored completely (this leads to sunken bridges, which are essentially the satellite image of the bridge on the ground texture, with the water mask on top of it). The fix here would be to introduce custom 3D objects in place of the autogen bridges. Examples of this can be seen in the OrbX London Landmarks scenery.

In photogrammetry areas, bridges mostly lead to solid "dam"-like structures, because photogrammetry is essentially an extension of the ground mesh within the sim. In some cases, Asobo have already replaced these "dams" with custom bridges, a few examples can be seen around New York and San Francisco.

Yes but it has to be manually fixed. The AI can't fix it on its own yet.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

I just watched a YT-clip from a Swedish guy streaming a flight over Siljan in Sweden and then over Stockholm (the capital of Sweden). He was using the release version. There was a thread here last week with a discussion about the fact that Stockholm looks a bit sub par in MSFS (yet). That was from the preview copy of MSFS and the Royal Palace was just a texture on the ground. In the release version it is now an autogen building instead. I still looks wrong and half sunken but only in this short period the AI routine has been improved so it is a building instead. So there is active work on improving the auto gen as we speak...

There was still a sunken bridge next to it, but I am confident they will get that fixed as well rather soon.

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games