Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Any Disadvantages buying MSFS from Steam?

Just curious with a few days to go, my plan was to buy the premium deluxe version from Steam. Would there be any disadvantages to buying from Steam vs. direct from Microsoft? I can’t think of any but did some searching and really couldn’t find anything.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

3 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Just curious with a few days to go, my plan was to buy the premium deluxe version from Steam. Would there be any disadvantages to buying from Steam vs. direct from Microsoft? I can’t think of any but did some searching and really couldn’t find anything.

Cheers, Pete

As far as I understand it, Steam only provides the interface for purchasing the title and the wrapper for launching it. Everything else happens inside the MSFS program itself, including the flight sim market and the whole multiplayer interface.

The one thing that has not been definitely confirmed is how VR will eventually be implemented, and if the Steam version will use the Steam VR interface for that (which would be great for VR users not using Windows Mixed Reality headsets). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just pre-ordered from Steam after much wondering about the same question.  In the livestream with the developers yesterday they said there is no difference to the user experience between the steam and windows store versions so that was enough for me to pull the trigger.

• Like 6

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thanks to both of you. I prefer Steam because I anticipate a much more trouble-free install. I will go with Steam as I had expected.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

Hey this is my first post but I’ve been lurking here in prep for the sim coming out. I remember hearing that if you care about Microsoft’s “play anywhere” where you get a copy on Xbox and Windows then you have to buy from the Microsoft Store but otherwise it doesn’t matter. 

I assume also that I can select the drive I want to install to as well? I have an SSD as my C drive but I don’t install any games to this drive. All the games I add go to my SATA drive which has 3gb of space.

Cheers, Pete

3 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

I prefer Steam because I anticipate a much more trouble-free instal

That was my reasoning too.  That plus no sales tax in Canada.

3 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

I assume also that I can select the drive I want to install to as well?

I would assume so too, every other steam program I have allows me to pick a steam library and I can create libraries on any drive.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Less of a cut for MS

• Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Can one of the testers verify the amount of used HD space MSFS takes up to get it installed initially? (is it 100GB, 104GB, 115GB?, whatever)> Im not referring to extra space for scenery cache. Just how much space I will need on a partition to get it installed and run it (I will appoint a different drive that I can use for about 400GB of scenery cache).

Steam says minimum is 150GB, but I'm thinking that likely includes extra scenery space that I can put on a 2nd drive?

Edited by hangar

17 minutes ago, hangar said:

Can one of the testers verify the amount of used HD space MSFS takes up to get it installed initially? (is it 100GB, 104GB, 115GB?, whatever)>

I have seen a couple of people that have received the release version for Premium Deluxe state that the install size is just under 110GB. I think Frooglesim mentioned that in a recent video. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

For now I just signed up for $1 / 1 month trial of Xbox Game Pass.  So after release we all will see which camp to go to as the Steam reports come.  

Does it enable VR automatically, now that will be cool.  I do not see why not only time will tell (few days).

Once the release date dust settles - I will make the move. 

PS - yes, I am on the closed beta. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

4 minutes ago, nerdv2 said:

Since this is first-party on Windows Store it could be eligible to receive Xbox Play Anywhere program, means whenever the console version released you don't have to buy them twice.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

They have confirmed that it is a Play Anywhere title in the FAQ on the official site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

I would assume so too, every other steam program I have allows me to pick a steam library and I can create libraries on any drive.

Can it also be installed outside a steam library?
I want full control over the folder I install it in.
(Well we soon know the answer)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11