Sign in to follow this  
Neonx95

AI Traffic halfs your fps

Seems like AI-Traffic is still a performance killer. When disabling just the AI-Planes his fps double and this is the first time I've seen someone that turned traffic off for performance tests everyone else seemed to ignore the traffic slider completely. Cars and boat traffic had also a massive impact on performance in FSX and P3D so this could even further improve fps.

Edited by Neonx95

1 minute ago, Neonx95 said:

https://youtu.be/QL4q_Tbv0jM?t=1519

Seems like AI-Traffic is still a performance killer. When disabling just the AI-Planes his fps double and this is the first time I've seen someone that turned traffic off for performance tests everyone else seemed to ignore the traffic slider completely. Cars and boat traffic had also a massive impact on performance in FSX and P3D so this could even further improve fps.

What a shame. In other sims, traffic has little to no impact. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

What a shame. In other sims, traffic has little to no impact. 

but not flightsims

Seems like a fixable bug. It shouldn't be that big of a hit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Well any other Traffic should have some sort of a performance hit, I mean you're rendering other Planes for starters so that's some GPU time and then the CPU calculations to take into effect for various things. Sure it probably shouldn't be a massive loss of performance depending on the scenario, for example if you have 30 of you all taking off at the same time then you need to fully expect the FPS to plummet like a stone, 1 or 2 visible it shouldn't - in theory - mean that much of a loss though.

Regardless no doubt there will be some optimisation of the Sims code along the way in it's 10+ year life cycle, a majority of that in the early part of its life as Asobo get more feedback from the Community who have a lot more differently configured PCs than they would ever get in Private Testing.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

41 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

but not flightsims

Yes, in another flight sim AI traffic has, at most, a 3fps hit. 

• Upvote 1

the older flightsims i know (no names here) AI traffic had allways an big impact, i mostly flew them completely turned off.

More than likely there will be an addon that has more FPS friendly models than the default AI traffic of MSFS. Just wait for it.

NAX669.png

52 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yes, in another flight sim AI traffic has, at most, a 3fps hit. 

Depends on the add-ons, for XP11 I use traffic global and it has very minimal impact but I think could be different for other add-ons 

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

22 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Depends on the add-ons, for XP11 I use traffic global and if has very minimal impact but I think could be different for other add-ons 

That is what I was referring to. 

I noticed the performance hit as well when watching the video. Its pretty significant. I probably will tone down the AI before I tone down the graphics.

2 hours ago, mwilk said:

More than likely there will be an addon that has more FPS friendly models than the default AI traffic of MSFS

True and that will be good...BUT, there's more to it than just the 3d model...its also the routing of the AI plane and also the fact that any AI plane needs to be controlled by the built in ATC system which is yet another AI system always in use as long as you have traffic turned on. So...there will always be a fairly significant fps hit when you have air traffic on.

Why, however, does the AI ground traffic use up so much proc resources I don't know. I mean other than routing I dont see what else could be causing a ground traffic hit.

What I intend to do, which is the same way I've always done this part...is to first make sure that all AI traffic (ground water & air) is all turned off. Configure my settings while at the busiest and most demanding places I fly (KJFK/KLGA/KBOS/KORD, etc) both in good and bead weather scenarios...turn down settings so that I have enough headroom for some traffic and then slowly turn up traffic but be careful to still leave in some headroom. Typically I leave air traffic off and only use ground traffic (just personal needs/wants)...but then sometimes Ill turn off ground and put in some air instead...I do NOT use both at same time because its too much of a hit (im talking FSX here btw).

Edited by hangar

In P3D, UTLive traffic had minimal impact on FPS as well. I'm assuming Asobo can / is doing some optimization on this