Sign in to follow this  
Afterburner

Night Darkness

I have just finished watching the following VFR Night Flying video by Squirrel:

Is it just me who finds the sky/cloud darkness too bright?  Or is the sim time set such that it is not completely dark yet?  But that can't be, because if you keep watching the video to the end, the night sky remains milky and doesn't get genuinely dark.

If this doesn't get corrected, then this doesn't look very realistic. While P3D exaggerates with the brightness of the stars, the milky way and the clouds, in this video it looks like the sun hasn't completely set.

Of all Microsoft Flight Simulators, FS2004 is the one who got the night lighting done right in my opinion. If MS won't correct it, at least I hope that there will be shader add-ons available that will do it.

• Like 1

For the purposes of a flight simulator, I think the darkness of the sky is appropriate.  The clouds are a little brighter than we might expect, but some of that is reflecting the lights from the ground.

I didn't notice what phase the moon was in, and a full moon would easily give the effect we're seeing.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

In the old KSAN to KLAS video the pilot flew 200 ft over mountains that you couldn't see at all. The ground and sky were the exact same color of black.

Must be the location of the moon and nearby ground lights, in this video.

We will find out Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

"It's well past sunset but hopefully we'll have a little bit of night light just so we can see things, look a bit nicer."

Astronomical twilight?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Not heard of Astronomical twilight? Is it in reference to light from the moon? I remember civil twilight from my night rating, 30 mins after sunset if I remember right? Has been a few years sadly! 

Anthony Milner

Looks like light pollution and moonlight, and I really like it.
No night is pitch black like we used to see in previous sims, you actually can see much more than what you think in the woods after your night vision kicks in.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Totally agree night over all is not right - sky maybe his monitor settings or time of night because I saw Gibraltar at night and it was very dark

That said its to dark and lifeless to me and why no headlights on vehicles

Light poles with no light poles lol just suspended in air - I think x-plane's night representation is amazing 

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

40 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Is it just me who finds the sky/cloud darkness too bright?  Or is the sim time set such that it is not completely dark yet?  But that can't be, because if you keep watching the video to the end, the night sky remains milky and doesn't get genuinely dark.

That's reflected light from cities and such. When you're out in the middle of nowhere, it can get almost pitch black. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, antic81 said:

Not heard of Astronomical twilight? Is it in reference to light from the moon?

Ever hear the expression, "It is always darkest just before it becomes pitch black"? 😄 (that's a joke btw).  That's Astronomical Twilight.  It goes from Night to Astronomical Twilight to Nautical Twilight to Civil Twilight to Dawn.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

At 33:00 mins live stream pretty dark skies again night to me is subpar - the land lights - signage and components is what I am referring to - well see - prob never be an xplane representation oh well

Rich Sennett

8 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

At 33:00 mins live stream pretty dark skies again night to me is subpar - the land lights and components is what I am referring to - well see - prob never be an xplane representation oh well

why is this so different from the other video? Which one is the most recent version of the sim?

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Heres one just posted - you really notice no physical light poles - not impressed just my opinion of course as I compare it to xplane and thats a tough act to beat

Rich Sennett

In the VFR above London video, it looks like the ambient light (or should I say night) illuminates the cockpit, for there is no contrast between the cockpit- and ambient brightness. Are the panel lights even on? If the panel lights are off, you would not have it as bright in reality with or without light pollution above the city. If the panel lights were on, you would see a light spot inside the plane and a much darker ambient scenery.

I don't see a night flight in that gibraltar video. The clock in the ICON is showing 21:52 towards the end of the video. At the current date that means this is nautical twilight not night.

The night begins about an hour later.

Edited by Farlis