Sign in to follow this  
Ian S

P3D scenery question

In the case of installing a P3Dv4 scenery into P3Dv5, where the developer has not provided a free update, it seems we have three options.

1) Pay the nominal upgrade fee to the developer with the peace of mind that you are getting a fully compatible product.

2) Download the inibuilds file. The upside is that it is free, the downside is that you obviously are restricted to airports they have worked on.

3) Do it yourself with ADE. The upside is that you can choose which airports to attend to, the downside is that it may require some faffing about and user knowledge, with no real guarantee of success.

So, my question is what is the difference? I understand that there are changes to the layout and default buildings may now appear through P3Dv4 scenery placed in P3DV5 but are there any other technical differences between v4 & v5 scenery.

To give an example, if we look at JustSim. They market Brussels v5 with a 5 Euro upgrade fee, yet several other JustSim airports have inibuilds files. So is the Brussels product somehow more complex, hence the reason for the upgrade fee and why inibuilds haven't been able to produce an update, or are just paying for the convenience of not having to wait for the inibuilds files or doing it ourselves? If I am not immediately planning to use Brussels, should I hold off paying for the upgrade and hope inibuilds release an update FOC, or is that not going to happen for some reason?

I appreciate 5 Euros isn't a lot, but this will add up over the course of a few airports to be converted. If it is just the convenience factor I am paying for, I'd be inclined to have a go with ADE first, then perhaps pay the upgrade fee if it doesn't work out, or am I overlooking something here?

Ian S

38.jpg

or ...

4) Just install v4 scenery into p3d v5 - you might miss out on some new features, but otherwise they do work (that is my experience)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Any advice on this?

Ian S

38.jpg

On 8/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, willy647 said:

or ...

4) Just install v4 scenery into p3d v5 - you might miss out on some new features, but otherwise they do work (that is my experience)

Not without some quirks. Exclusion files of 4.x don't work in v5 so you have double buildings from default scenery.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Log into your Central account at the top change the box from v4 to v5, then redownload the scenery`s you own that are V5 compatible like you do for v4.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Not on V5 yet, but my plan was to switch the base scenery, or probably just the object bgls, to those of V4.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

18 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Log into your Central account at the top change the box from v4 to v5, then redownload the scenery`s you own that are V5 compatible like you do for v4.

I think you are referring to Orbx here which is not what the question is about. 

Ian S

38.jpg

47 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I think you are referring to Orbx here which is not what the question is about. 

Well i purchased the upgrades better graphics no bleed through issues PBR looks better in DX12. 

If P3D users stop purchasing upgrades don`t be surprised if in a years time third party`s stop making product`s for P3D. 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 8/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, Ian S said:

So, my question is what is the difference? I understand that there are changes to the layout and default buildings may now appear through P3Dv4 scenery placed in P3DV5 but are there any other technical differences between v4 & v5 scenery.

Hi Ian,

I think the difference is that the paid upgrade may not only be making the original v4 version v5 compatible. While the exclusions are being fixed for v5, the developer may also update the texture files for buildings ,aprons, runways, signage and adjust the PBR materials since the lighting effects in v5 also changed.

The Inibuilds may not necessarily being doing all of the above. A few of the Inibuilds I have seen were focused on introducing dynamic lighting and AFCAD updates, but limited changes elsewhere.

Certainly if its scenery excludes that need to be altered and AFCAD updated for v5, you could revert to ADE and make those changes yourself, but if there's additional textures, new terminal buildings, new aprons, etc, then its likely the developer's update is going to contain more new features. Again best to review what the improvements are included from the developers upgrade notes and then decide if its worth a DIY effort or paying the extra few $AUD.

Regards

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On 8/22/2020 at 2:48 AM, aldridgem said:

Hi Ian,

I think the difference is that the paid upgrade may not only be making the original v4 version v5 compatible. While the exclusions are being fixed for v5, the developer may also update the texture files for buildings ,aprons, runways, signage and adjust the PBR materials since the lighting effects in v5 also changed.

The Inibuilds may not necessarily being doing all of the above. A few of the Inibuilds I have seen were focused on introducing dynamic lighting and AFCAD updates, but limited changes elsewhere.

Certainly if its scenery excludes that need to be altered and AFCAD updated for v5, you could revert to ADE and make those changes yourself, but if there's additional textures, new terminal buildings, new aprons, etc, then its likely the developer's update is going to contain more new features. Again best to review what the improvements are included from the developers upgrade notes and then decide if its worth a DIY effort or paying the extra few $AUD.

Regards

Thanks Mark. That's interesting reading, and a good point, I had overlooked the PBR materials and lighting etc, and was thinking purely of the issue of stock buildings and signage etc  being placed differently in the new sim.

Ian S

38.jpg

Hello Ian S,

I am part of the inibuilds team, (lighting and V5 compatibility) Know that you can ask us to anyone from the inibuilds team or forum, a scene you want to see in V5, we we will make you the exclusion file with great pleasure 😉
Regards,

Kevin

Broucker Kévin // MSFS