Sign in to follow this  
Lotharen

New Pilot Resources - Welcome Aboard!

12 hours ago, pmb said:

Jonathan Stern's Microsoft Flight Simulator Handbook (he knew MSFS would come 🙂)

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/flightsimhandbook/

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for the memory Michael. I wonder how relevant this page will be:

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/flightsimhandbook/keyboardcontrols.php 

Just to clarify for newcomers, this book covered the old MS Flight Simulator ver 5.0 (from the mid 90’s)

Edited by antonvs
  • Like 1

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

4 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Thanks for the memory Michael. I wonder how relevant this page will be:

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/flightsimhandbook/keyboardcontrols.php 

Unfortunately not too relevant. A lot of default key bindings have been changed (for whatever reason...?). I suppose you can reset some of them to their previous functions with some patience, but I didn't try this.

The Aerosoft DVD version comes with a printed keyboard layout for MSFS, but this edition has been available in Europe only and moreover is sold out already.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This is not a 'teaching' resource but one can learn from this guy anyway.  He's a private corporate jet pilot with really good quality videos showing how a real world pilot interacts with his aircraft AND real world ATC.

Books and guides may lead you to believe things are a certain way - like driving instruction that says keep your hands at ten and two...The real goal is safe operation of you vehicle in a real world environment and it has helped me as a non pilot to watch this guys videos.  Plus its great sightseeing.

Premier 1 Driver on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG4IsPelLNPJZrL7sqZmBPQ

• Like 3

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

6 minutes ago, sightseer said:

Books and guides may lead you to believe things are a certain way

One-Right-Way-ism.  There are more One Right Ways than there are people believing in them.

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way." -- Drill instructor whose name has been lost to time.

There is also the way you were originally taught, the way your current instructor wants you to do it, the way the FAA examiner expects you to do it, and the way you actually do it when no one is looking over your shoulder.

Some Right Ways are better than others.  Choose the one that is Right for you. 🙂

This is a simulator we can do things like that.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you want to learn how to fly a 737 using real world procedures search YouTube for flightdeck2sim, he's RL 737 captain and has done a lot of tutorials for flying the 737-800 as in real life, mainly the PMDG 738 and X-Plane Zibo mod 738.

His early videos are the main tutorials.

Real world charts.

Many countries' airport charts are available for free online. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort to get them, usually knowing where to look.

The usual place to look for is "AIP" Aeronautical Information Publication. This is broken down into sections, e.g en-route, airports. For airports look for AD2 within the AIP

Alternatively subscribe to Navigraph for monthly updates.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, flightsimfan912 said:

Dauntless Software has a pretty good pay-ware app which you can use to download Plates from any airport in the world, which will "up" that level of realism.

https://www.dauntless-soft.com/

The top review for this app says it's not a good buy... some of the charts are really old. They are not keeping it up to date.  I think you're better off finding plates online for free.

Cyndy Hollman on Youtube is a great resource for those who want to get a deeper understanding of flying. The production value is not the greatest but the depth of information is unparalleled compared to anything else that i have found.

Private Pilot Lessons Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTaK2N2T1t_dobZ_zpl70mIm7CsR9NgCn

VFR Cross Country Flight Planning Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTaK2N2T1t_fNmfuQpIig0GYJWgaiSZhu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Really appreciate people posting resources for newbies like me! I typically learn best when I have a bit of structure - is there any advice people could offer about how to approach learning for FS2020? I had it my head I would dedicate some time to reading/watching, and the rest of the time just having fun flying and practicing what I’ve been learning about. Is that reasonable? 

Jack 

• Like 1

All the learning resources are great. It's been years since I seriously simmed and besides an occasional foray back into FSX, I'm pretty rusty. What I'm also looking for though is a list of the top recommended companion apps, either (hopefully) free or pay. It may be a bit early for that yet with MSFS2020 but I already saw something called "FSX Follow" announce support. I have no idea what that is and I'll find out but I'm just using it as an example of what I mean. I'm wondering what other companion applications are out there as well. What do they do? What are considered the "must haves"? Is information like that available somewhere?