Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

MCE, blind pilot's and FS2020

Hi all,

I know that with the current version of MCE it is possible to control the sim via voice, FSX/P3D versions at least.

Unfortunately, while people love the FS2020 interface as it looks like a flight sim, complete with world map, from two blind beta testers that are in the closed alpha that I associate with, it looks as though the sim, at least at launch, will be completely inaccessible to screen readers, nor does it have an option in options for text to speech support, even though they said in an article they have a research group with people that have no eyesight at all, etc.

I wonder how the assists work, specifically with takeoff and landing. More interested in landing, but I'm not sure if you can have one phase or the other on. Apparently landing assist can basically do an autoland or make it very easy to do in props and the like.

More importantly though, would MCE, with the interface support, be able to add support to read the interface with the Narrator feature? The audio in this sim is pretty impressive and I'd love to try this.

Just for reference if anybody is wondering where the team said they were going to add accessibility for various disabilities, see:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/accessibility

All i hope is for MCE to come to fs 2020 some day.

It will make a huge difference for us

First, we'll see what kind of assistance Microsoft-Asobo provides to BVI pilots, then later on, we'll try to supplement it as best as we can.

Don't expect it immediately though.

Thanks guys. You've done amazing for us all these years

@Orinks

Is it possible to fly at the moment?

Edited by hadi

Yes Hadi, it's possible to fly with P3D/FSX. It's also possible to fly in FS2020, the hurdle is the user interface to create/load a flightplan, select the conditions etc, which Asobo didn't provide any assistance for as you know. I'm going to hopefully get FS2020 installed here and try to fly with FSTramp, after I see how the full AI assistance works. You may want to try and fly with Tramp as well, just use the FS2020 flightplanner to create your flight, as annoying as it is, and then Tramp should see and load it if it's anything like how it works in P3D.

I'd use MCE more if we had more assistance features, first starting with takeoff. The way that we get around stalling on takeoff is by having the autopilot on before takeoff roll, and turn on the airspeed hold after takeoff to bring the power back. You're supposed to turn on the autopilot in the air though a thousand or so feet AGL which MCE does fine, but by then I'm too fast for climb. I've tried to manually adjust throttle to bring back the power but I think the climb power etc commands are for when airspeed hold is on which only works when the AP is on.

Using ATC and if you know the nav course and nav1 frequencies of the ILS runway you're going to land on it's possible to land those with MCE now, mainly because approach mode brings you in, and FO will tell you when the glideslope/loc is alive.

Not sure about RNav approaches however which Tramp handles fine. I've gotten two feet from center once with RNav so it's possible.

I think visual approaches are obviously a lost cause for us. Apparently the FS2020 AI can autoland them though so I'd love to have the developers explain that tech. It can also autotaxi, but I'm not sure if it's Vatsim-ready autotaxi.

16 hours ago, Orinks said:

Yes Hadi, it's possible to fly with P3D/FSX. It's also possible to fly in FS2020, the hurdle is the user interface to create/load a flightplan, select the conditions etc, which Asobo didn't provide any assistance for as you know. I'm going to hopefully get FS2020 installed here and try to fly with FSTramp, after I see how the full AI assistance works. You may want to try and fly with Tramp as well, just use the FS2020 flightplanner to create your flight, as annoying as it is, and then Tramp should see and load it if it's anything like how it works in P3D.

I'd use MCE more if we had more assistance features, first starting with takeoff. The way that we get around stalling on takeoff is by having the autopilot on before takeoff roll, and turn on the airspeed hold after takeoff to bring the power back. You're supposed to turn on the autopilot in the air though a thousand or so feet AGL which MCE does fine, but by then I'm too fast for climb. I've tried to manually adjust throttle to bring back the power but I think the climb power etc commands are for when airspeed hold is on which only works when the AP is on.

Using ATC and if you know the nav course and nav1 frequencies of the ILS runway you're going to land on it's possible to land those with MCE now, mainly because approach mode brings you in, and FO will tell you when the glideslope/loc is alive.

Not sure about RNav approaches however which Tramp handles fine. I've gotten two feet from center once with RNav so it's possible.

I think visual approaches are obviously a lost cause for us. Apparently the FS2020 AI can autoland them though so I'd love to have the developers explain that tech. It can also autotaxi, but I'm not sure if it's Vatsim-ready autotaxi.

Heya, I'm the same Hadi from AG forum 🙂

First of all, i just can't  wait  for MCE to work with fs2020, We still don't know if all the features would be coming to the fs2020 version, e.g. pressing fmc buttons, scripting, and we don't know  if there will be any limitations to the software, but regardless MCE is my only hope, I'd like to run my checklists with my co pilot and be able to start the engines and shut them down myself  rather having to press ctrl+E.

Also what issues are you having with take off. With FSX, aerosoft a320 and MCE, i  would take off myself. When the auto throttle is ON, after you  put the nose UPWARD,  you can just bring the throttle back from full throttle to decrease it, now the a320 has different throttle modes, you have to bring it back until it makes two click sounds.

But usually after pulling the yoke back just bring your throttle back, you don't really have to switch the AP on before rolling, after a few practice you can roll,, bring the aircraft up after v1, gradually let the nose a little bit downwards, clean the aircraft and switch the AP and auto throttle on. depending on how your plane work.

Edited by hadi
SPELLING

I'm using freeware aircraft now and I don't think I could get the help required to set up the MCE 320 scripts.

In any case, it's probably not worth buying $80+ planes like that anyhow seeing as I'd rather have access to stuff like that in FS2020. Actually, I wonder if my freeware planes would work in FS2020 because goodness the A320 Neo default engine sounds in FS2020 do not sound like the real thing.

Second, I'm pretty certain that MCE's default engine start, when you say engine start, is the equivilent to pressing Control+E, even when you do the checklists.

12 hours ago, Orinks said:

I'm using freeware aircraft now and I don't think I could get the help required to set up the MCE 320 scripts.

In any case, it's probably not worth buying $80+ planes like that anyhow seeing as I'd rather have access to stuff like that in FS2020. Actually, I wonder if my freeware planes would work in FS2020 because goodness the A320 Neo default engine sounds in FS2020 do not sound like the real thing.

Second, I'm pretty certain that MCE's default engine start, when you say engine start, is the equivilent to pressing Control+E, even when you do the checklists.

Hey, there are projects that are converting fsx aircraft to fs2020 it wouldn't be long before your aircraft is also converted, what do you use to fly mostly?

Hello there.
So since we're on the subject, I've got a few questions. I'm not sure if anyone has tried these yet.
I'm a blind pilot here as well and with MCE, I'm curious just how much info we can get out of the FMC of each of these payware aircraft? In particular I'm looking at purchasing the Magestic dash 8 which I know cannot be started using the standard control plus e command. I thought the before engine flow and checklist would go through and get the plane ready for startup, then telling the copilot to start engines would do just that?
Similarly, is there no way to interface with the plane's autopilot on the ground? For instance if we can't get the autopilot on in the sim when we're on the ground is there a way we can do it using MCE? I know some of the planes, like the quality wings 787, for instance, has an autolanding feature. Can MCE interface with this?
I'm well aware that Microsoft fs2020 is now released but to be quite frank, it was such a huge disappointment and I can't see text to speech coming to it any time soon. The sounds are pretty horrific really, considering what Microsoft promissed.
How is the Aerosoft airbus series with MCE? I always thought control plus e would not work with them, either. How do you interface and use it with MCE successfully, in particular landing? How can one tell what the nav frequency is going to be when landing and set approach mode?
A video on this would be super, super helpful.
Thanks a ton!

On 8/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, hadi said:

All i hope is for MCE to come to fs 2020 some day.

It will make a huge difference for us

Hello,

I am new to using mce, and am not able to navigate the fs 2020 interface. Is there any way that you could do a couple of videos to show us how to navigate the fs2020 interface and to get started with mce?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glenn1212 said:

Hello,

I am new to using mce, and am not able to navigate the fs 2020 interface. Is there any way that you could do a couple of videos to show us how to navigate the fs2020 interface and to get started with mce?

Sure, But to be honest i don't interact with the interface at all. maybe once or twice before, but all the options are pretty good  at default, unless you want to tweak a few things.

The issue with the interface is that when it automatically collapses in a few seconds, up there you have a few buttons that you can't activate with NVDA. I used golden cursor to add a spot for it, perhaps we should ask  MCE support to see if there's a hotkey to expand the MCE window?

Once the window is open, i believe you can use object navigation or screen navigation to click on the things you want.

12 hours ago, hadi said:

perhaps we should ask  MCE support to see if there's a hotkey to expand the MCE window?

It's possible to control MCE UI via voice.

"display control panel" expands the window

"hide control panel" reduces it to a very narrow band.

For both Hadi and Orinks.

Ben, from MCE support wrote to me to ask you the following questions to get FS 2020 to work.

I'd like to know how you're gaining access to FS 202 from a fellow BVI Pilot's point of view.

Here's the letter that Ben shipped to me. 

Ron.

The issue isn't with your system.

Some BVI pilots have managed to get into FS2020

I believe they are using OCR software.

Ask Hadi and Orinks forum members how they do it in this forum thread.

It's worth pursuing because the difficulty is getting past the UI into flight mode.

Once there, MCE has new capability to warp the plane to any location and let you load flight plan from current location, without the need to go back to main menu.

Also, with built-in ASOBO AI, you could fly manually until destination and tell FO "you have control" and he should be able to land the plane. Soething that's not possible in FSX or Prepar3D.

Say "I have control" when you want to fly yourself. ASOBO AI isn't perfect either.

See pdf document "Using ulti Cew Experience with FS 2020" that comes with latest MCE version.

Ben

So, how can I as a fellow BVI pilot please get FS 2020 to work?

Also, is the rich playboy DF7X and or it's successor the DF8X in the FS 2020 fleet of aircraft to fly?

If not, would the DF7X from the free down load library from Fly away simulation work within fs2020?

Please, curious minds would like to know how to gain access to FS 2020.

I again can be reached at:

kolesar16417@roadrunner.com

P.S.

Besides MCE, which add on programs are you using to gain access to fs 2020?

Would you recommend the Runway Awareness and avoidance system or RAAS program from fs 2 crew, which you can also pick up from Just Flight?

Many thanks.

Ron who'd love to get back in the air.