Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Release time MS Store / Steam

Microsoft store just gave me a choice of which drive to use when I just finished ordering. Not exactly steam level of customization but good enough for me. 

• Like 1

How do we all feel about Drives and location to instal MSFS?

I was just going to bung it on the root of my primary SSD C/ drive where windows is.

I have two additional SSD's available though. . .

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

Those lucky Kiribatians.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just now, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I was just going to bung it on the root of my C/ drive where windows is.

I'm going for my fastest SSD which happens to be the C drive. 

1 minute ago, FlyingRoo said:

I'm going for my fastest SSD which happens to be the C drive. 

Well exactly - back in the day I researched putting FSX then P3D on a separate drive and deduced there was no real advantage to this in terms of 'quickness'.

Perhaps it's a space issue - I have 300 Gig free on the C drive so no need for that?

Answers please chaps - what do you know that we don't?

my main windows C drive is a 1TB nvme m2 SSD and my D is a 2TB SATA SSD. I plan to install mines on D. Do you think it would make any noticeable difference to have MFS2020 installed to my C drive instead?

My original plan was to keep C drive free from installing games and use D instead. and to purchase a 3rd dedicated SATA HDD for storage for the offline cache drive to hold all the data to places I fly frequently.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

48 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I didn't say universally. I said it was not optimal for launch specifically. I also added that after launch it doesn't matter. 

No you didn't ... but you did state, inexplicably, that MS Store is the better option, thereby generalising your own opinion as fact.

I just simply pointed out, that while you may think, that the MS Store purchase option is best, that doesn't mean, that it's necessary true as a general fact. It's highly subjective what's best for each individual. Now, Steam works best for me, as I have a huge amount of games on that platform already, and I really like the installation methods and the DRM.   

Personally, I disklike the Microsoft Store. It's (in my opinion) clunky and the installation methods are designed in a way, to leave every decision to the app itself - which means, that it restrict where to install files and put files in places, I don't think they should be. Again, this is my personal preference and experience with MS Store. 

• Upvote 2

🙂

Steam or MS Store doesn't matter that much. It's only downloading the launcher. In fact if there are future updates to the launcher, I bet they will come a bit quicker to the MS Store.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

33 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I was just going to bung it on the root of my primary SSD C/ drive where windows is.

I installed a dedicated brand new 450Gb SSD for it the other day. Might make no difference, but I figured I'd give it all the help it could get.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I bought the MS Game Pass yesterday.

When I tried to install the installer on the MSFS2020 standard it just gave me an error. Before that it tried to download a 22Mb file but gave error aswell.

I will try at midnight tonight again.

26 minutes ago, travelabroad said:

No you didn't ... but you did state, inexplicably, that MS Store is the better option, thereby generalising your own opinion as fact.

I just simply pointed out, that while you may think, that the MS Store purchase option is best, that doesn't mean, that it's necessary true as a general fact. It's highly subjective what's best for each individual. Now, Steam works best for me, as I have a huge amount of games on that platform already, and I really like the installation methods and the DRM.   

Personally, I disklike the Microsoft Store. It's (in my opinion) clunky and the installation methods are designed in a way, to leave every decision to the app itself - which means, that it restrict where to install files and put files in places, I don't think they should be. Again, this is my personal preference and experience with MS Store. 

Excuse me, but i most certainly DID point out that my point was for the release specifically, and after it doesnt matter. I edited my post with underline and bold, but didnt add any text to the main body of the post. I did add text in a separate edit part below afterwards. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

As of a couple of hours ago, Game Pass hadn’t started downloading anything, aside from the small (install?) app I got when I picked the game on the 13th. YMMV

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:00 UTC
Kiribati

11:00 UTC
American Samoa, The Marshall Islands, Mauru, Niue, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, The United States Minor Outlying Islands, Wallis and Futuna

12:00 UTC
Antarctica, Fiji, New Zealand 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's out in Kiribati in 25 minutes!

Anyone here from Avsim's Kiribati chapter?

Edit: apart from me, I mean.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10:00 UTC
Kiribati

11:00 UTC
American Samoa, The Marshall Islands, Mauru, Niue, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, The United States Minor Outlying Islands, Wallis and Futuna

12:00 UTC
Antarctica, Fiji, New Zealand 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's out in Kiribati in 25 minutes!

Anyone here from Avsim's Kiribati chapter?

Mine kicks off 2 hours after Kiribati, and a Digital rights install launcher just popped up on my screen, and it failed. I am on X Box Games pass, but have purchased on Steam.

Not sure what that was about, error did not give a reason, unless the engines are getting warmed up.

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.