Sign in to follow this  
AntillesFlyer

What are the best new simmers planes?

Hi guys,

What would you recommend for a person who's never done a flight simulator before? I'm planning on doing a lot of island hoping around the Caribbean, but figure the first few planes should be fairly user friendly. Fancy airports aren't much use for me if I can't land on them.. 😊

I've watched a lot of you-tube video's, read forums etc, but very little of it seems to talk about which planes, suit the level of the user.  

At this stage I've also picked up the Thrustmaster TCA sidestick, is there anything else that I should consider getting in the near future.

Many thanks

Brendon

Brendon Isaac

1 hour ago, AntillesFlyer said:

Hi guys,

What would you recommend for a person who's never done a flight simulator before? I'm planning on doing a lot of island hoping around the Caribbean, but figure the first few planes should be fairly user friendly. Fancy airports aren't much use for me if I can't land on them.. 😊

I've watched a lot of you-tube video's, read forums etc, but very little of it seems to talk about which planes, suit the level of the user.  

At this stage I've also picked up the Thrustmaster TCA sidestick, is there anything else that I should consider getting in the near future.

You'll start with the tutorial flight school lessons in the Cessna 152. This will teach you the basics about flying, navigating, landing in these simple single engine prop general aviation planes.

After that, a good next step might be to switch over to the Cessna 172. It flies generally similar to the 152, with more speed, payload, and range. It also has the G1000 avionics suite by Garmin, which will introduce you to more complex navigation systems and has robust IFR capabilities. A lot of the other airplanes in the sim use avionics systems that are broadly similar to the G1000.

• Like 3

Agree here 👍. Read and learn about tips from others on the various forums like this forum here for examples and other flightsim forums. It can also be useful to learn a lot by watching good training videos that go step by step on Youtube. One must absolutely be patient and realize that one does not learn everything in one day and accept that there will be lots of mistakes and trials that are a natural part of the whole learning curve.

Edited by bernhardsen74

1 hour ago, AntillesFlyer said:

At this stage I've also picked up the Thrustmaster TCA sidestick, is there anything else that I should consider getting in the near future?

Oh, I almost forgot:

That stick should be just fine for the beginning. It's precise, has twist-action for your rudder, and there's a simple throttle on it.

If you like it, you can buy a dedicated throttle later, and then a next step would be dedicated rudder pedals. But right now you're all set with the joystick.

The less complex, the best experience you will have. C152 and the steam gauge C172 would be my recommendations. This is also valid for experienced simmers by the way...

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Yep, Cessna 152 and 172 respectively. Great starter aircraft and ones I like to fly a lot. Pay attention to speed when you branch out once your comfortable with those. The faster you go the quicker things can happen and get away from you. Its one reason I'm going to start with the 172 myself and work myself up to other, faster aircraft.

3 hours ago, AntillesFlyer said:

Hi guys,

Many thanks

Brendon

Tutorials and the C152 🙂

André

Squirrel on YouTube has produced 4 videos on just your needs. In his forth one he does a first flight in a Cessna 152

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Thanks guys. I'll def' stick to the 2 Cessnas for a bit then to get some confidence. 

I'll have to go through Squirrels video's as they look really good. 

I'm wondering if I should stick to the future Thrustmaster that throttle or the future honeycomb throttle, for just on case I get there yoke. (I guess the good thing is neither have been released yet, so I've lots of time to mul on it. Lol)

Thanks again 

Brendon

Brendon Isaac