Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

Can anyone confirm how much cache you can store for offline?

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

So then are you saying that you have no control over that cached data, and that it will roll over?

To me that would say that if there's any scenery area that you want to save permanently to your drive then you MUST use the manual saving feature, is this correct?

from what it sounds, yes...the cache will rollover once it hits its limit...but you can also do a manual save at the same time so if you go offline for any reason, you can fly over the manually saved area with the nice scenery. 

3 minutes ago, hangar said:

To me that would say that if there's any scenery area that you want to save permanently to your drive then you MUST use the manual saving feature, is this correct?

but that would not be a good idea since even the scenery data will be continuously being updated.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Sorry if this has already been answered.

But does anyone know if I can save the cache to a separate drive than the install?

And if so, does anyone know if using an HDD for that data would result in poor performance?   

For example, in Xplane, I had all my ortho files on my 2TB HDD while the install was on my SSD.    No performance issues there.   This will likely be the same, yeah? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

but that would not be a good idea since even the scenery data will be continuously being updated.

While it wont get worthy updates nearly as often as you'd like...this is still a very good and valid question to add to the list, IMO.

How will we see/notice/be made aware of scenery updates if we are flying over cached/saved scenery?

2 minutes ago, JughedJones said:

Sorry if this has already been answered.

But does anyone know if I can save the cache to a separate drive than the install?

And if so, does anyone know if using an HDD for that data would result in poor performance?   

For example, in Xplane, I had all my ortho files on my 2TB HDD while the install was on my SSD.    No performance issues there.   This will likely be the same, yeah? 

Yes it can be saved in any folder you like. See the screenshot on page 1.

HDDs come in different speeds and 'poor performance' is subjective...but my subjective answer is that a 7200 rpm spinning HDD should provide satisfactory performance.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

While it wont get worthy updates nearly as often as you'd like...this is still a very good and valid question to add to the list, IMO.

How will we see/notice/be made aware of scenery updates if we are flying over cached/saved scenery?

For me personally, I live in a new subdivision that doesn't even show in Bing (even though first house was built in early 2019 and Google Maps has it). So my point of reference will be flying over the area waiting for my house to pop up.

• Like 1

Eric 

10 minutes ago, B777ER said:

For me personally, I live in a new subdivision that doesn't even show in Bing (even though first house was built in early 2019 and Google Maps has it). So my point of reference will be flying over the area waiting for my house to pop up.

But that's what I mean...will any updated aspects of a scenery area be drawn over the top of our cached scenery as we fly over it?

2 hours ago, espent said:

Default was 8GB. I changed it to 100GB. Just out of interest to see how quickly that will fill up.

The cache file is fixed in size. Pre-allocated from the size you set.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

The sim bombed when I set it to 88, said it was processing it, then a CTD.

Ahhhh Memories....I think that is the first reported CTD!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

so just to confirm...you can cache in any amount you want and it will overwrite and also set a manual cache to save?? If so , does the manual cache pull from the stremed cache? 

Well i have a 2 Tera SSD so I set the cache at 200 gb and its still processing and a message “this may take several minutes of dont switch your computer off”, but it has been like that for an hour...should i wait?

Edited by kapitan

4 minutes ago, kapitan said:

Well i have a 2 Tera SSD so I set the cache at 200 gb and its still processing and a message “this may take several minutes of dont switch your computer off”, but it has been like that for an hour...should i wait?

Yes,

It looks like it creates a file the same size as the cache size you have specified.

It then writes within that file.

So if you set the size to 200GB, it will create a 200GB file when you first set it up, and it will then write within that file, and manage the content of that file.
It wont grow or shrink in size automatically.
I created a 500GB cache on a 1 TB SSD, and it took quite some time to complete.

I'd be curious regarding the performance of the cache between SSD and HDD. I don't have much space on my SSD but I have a HDD with currently around 5 Tb of space but that has a relatively low read speed (only around 150 Mb/s tops, average 100).

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

Interesting discussion while I don't have the sim yet....Is there a manual?  Everyone is talking like they are just pressing buttons and moving sliders, surely there is a manual that "might" explain some of this.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3