Sign in to follow this  
pwfsav

Move FS2020 Install directory

I pre-ordered FS2020 from the Microsoft Store. Some of the SIM has installed to a drive on my machine. This is my first digital download from Microsoft.

I was maybe a bit rash and the drive I installed to is a little on the small size capacity wise. How do I move the install directory to another drive without breaking the digital download?
I noticed that one of the directories is not readable, So when I tried to copy it sideways, it failed.

This is a new drive that I will eventually have FS on. So I will re-name the drive letter to be the same as the original one so that any registry links are not broken.

Or is that a better way to do this?

Thanks

Peter

Hi

I have had also the need to move the FS 2020 install to another HD, I did the following and it worked:

1. copy all the Download (about 100Gb) Package folder to the new destination and rename it

2. uninstall Fly simulator (right click on the FS2020 icon and choose uninstall)

3. reinstall FS 2020 to the new destination

4. start FS 2020 -> it will begin downloading the updates (about 100Gb) -> create a new Download Package folder and name it as you like (i.e. "FSDownloads")

5. pause the download after about 2 min and exit the game

6.  delete the new download folder (the FSDownload you created with the new install) and rename the old one with the new name "FSDownload"

7. restart the game -> it will keep also all your configuration settings, included the joystick controls

Have fun 

• Upvote 1

All you should have to do is go Windows Add or Remove Programs.  Go to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and click on it.  You should have a Move and an Uninstall button.  Click on Move and select the drive.  Wait for the progress bar to finish and you should be all set.

• Like 2

That's too bad. I was initially able to install it on the drive I wanted to install it on, but I don't like the directory I put it in 😞 .  Move doesn't allow you to move it to a different directory on the same drive it is already on...

Edited by FlyingsCool

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Hi Guys, I'm currently in the process of installing FS20 and I'm at the Install Packages Path and its 93 GBs worth of files so I want to install it in the final resting place on a dedicated SSD rather than have to move it after it installs in the location it's chosen, being C:\Users\****\APPDATA\ROAMING\MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR\PACKAGES. The Roaming folder is described as : 

"Roaming" This folder (%appdata%) contains data that can move with your user profile from PC to PC—like when you're on a domain—because this data has the ability to sync with a server. For example, if you sign in to a different PC on a domain, your web browser favorites or bookmarks will be available.

I downloaded my copy from Steam then when pressing play in Steam it went to the 2nd install process, it took me to the install Packages screen and that's where I've stalled. I don't want to do this process (download then move) twice, so I was wondering if anyone has a definitive answer on the Packages path to not be in the Roaming Folder and will I be able to redirect it to a dedicated SSD folder where the Steam FS20 folder already resides? There is already a Packages Folder within the FS20 initial download of 538MB from Steam and the packages folder size says 0.93GB so would this mean that the files will end up there or the software is circumventing/overriding  the Steam Install and choosing a separate path to take. I've cancelled the install until I can work this out.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, bmwRacer42 said:

All you should have to do is go Windows Add or Remove Programs.  Go to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and click on it.  You should have a Move and an Uninstall button.  Click on Move and select the drive.  Wait for the progress bar to finish and you should be all set.

Exactly! I did this yesterday and it worked. Even Orbx central is still working. This is the only way to do the move imho. On the original location all directories are now hyperlinked to your new drive letter. I had MSFS installed on my boot ssd but i bought a 2 tb intel ssd just for MSFS. Plus all your settings remain even your joystick settings.

OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit//Case: NZXT H7 Elite Black//CPU: i9 13900KS@6ghz//Mobo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX//AIO: Corsair H150i Elite LCD Capellix Black//RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5 6400Mhz - 64GB//GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC//Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 - 4TBx2 plus 1x Intel SSDPEKNW020T8-2TB//PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W//Monitor: LG 37,5 L 38WP85C-W//Joystick: Saitek X-52 Pro//Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy

On 8/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, bmwRacer42 said:

Glad I read the whole thread!  This worked like a dream

On 9/11/2020 at 5:37 AM, King_Air said:

Glad I read the whole thread!  This worked like a dream

I just tried the same thing and it did...nothing. The full game is still in my old install folder and nothing seems to have appeared in the new one. Strangely enough, when I try to do the move again, the system makes is look like the move was successful by only showing me the other drives as options. Do you have any tips?

I had to remove al entries with MSfs 2020 froma previous install that I quit flying last year. After removing the entries fromthe registry reboot, only then would it let me install