Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

3rd Party Add-ons and the Marketplace

One thing that has been appealing about a cloud based game and the DLC model is the easing reinstalls. 

At least in steam, you just click the game and the DLC to install and you’re done. I haven’t used Microsoft market place before, but expect similar. It would be amazing to not have to click dozens of exe files and manually edit files. 

So...is it going to matter if we buy software through the market place vs at the 3rd party site. For example, I see that FlightBeam has released KDEN with options to by from them or through the marketplace. Is it going to be a one click reinstall through the marketplace vs a separate file/install if through FlightBeam?  I’ve seen other places where the purchase is registered in a marketplace, even if bought from a 3rd party vendor too (thinking DCS world and Steam for a period of time). So not sure what to think. 

Eric Szczesniak

If you purchase from the Marketplace, it's a one click, quick install. (be sure to remove Asobo's KDEN if you have the Premium Deluxe version, you can do this from the Content Manager available in your profile).

If you purchase from our own store, you get an installer, which finds the sim automatically. The one advantage of purchasing in our store is that you can get much quicker updates for issues, whereas updates in the Marketplace are staggered.

Edited by Mir // Flightbeam
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the reply! Do you have any feedback about detriment to the developers of purchased through the marketplace? 

I try to support developers, but that one click install sure is appealing. 

Eric Szczesniak

I need to know the same. Already in doubt about buying from Steam or MS Store because that kind of stuff.

4 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Thank you for the reply! Do you have any feedback about detriment to the developers of purchased through the marketplace? 

I try to support developers, but that one click install sure is appealing. 

It's always better to buy directly from the developer of course 🙂 But ultimately the choice is yours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Are you going to make your content available through Steam as well?

At this time, I don't believe third party content will officially be on steam (as in, Steam DLC).. only in the MSFS Marketplace, and third party store of course.
If you have a steam version, you can get the same Marketplace content, the same way you can get it from the MS store version.

Edited by Mir // Flightbeam
  • Like 1

Ok, I wasn't thinking of the ingame market place, which of course is the same whether you buy the base simulator from steam or from microsoft. 

32 minutes ago, Mir // Flightbeam said:

If you purchase from our own store, you get an installer, which finds the sim automatically. The one advantage of purchasing in our store is that you can get much quicker updates for issues, whereas updates in the Marketplace are staggered.

Will the installer automatically remove the Asobo KDEN or do you expect the procedure for subsequent releases require removing the existing scenery. A little different than FSX/P3D.  🙂 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

One key difference for those interested in running on an Xbox console is that buying through the MS Store gets you the Xbox version as well, when it comes out. And related to this, add-ons bought through the in-sim Marketplace will likely be the only ones available on the console. If this is of interest to you, of course.

Just now, vgbaron said:

Will the installer automatically remove the Asobo KDEN or do you expect the procedure for subsequent releases require removing the existing scenery. A little different than FSX/P3D.  🙂 

At this time you'll need to go to the Content Manager from the Profile screen and remove Asobo's KDEN. We're hoping Asobo will automate this in the future. Note that you don't have to do this for "normal" airports, but to remove a Star, premium-deluxe airport this was a required step.

Hopefully our local Kiribati residents have already figured this out as it might not be obvious.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Hi Mir,

Will your addon be installed outside the sim.  I know I have bugged you guys for P3Dv4/P3Dv5 external addon support already (still no love for that approach)

I am hoping MS is making that requirement permanent as the updates will get pushed via their platform

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Hi Mir,

Will your addon be installed outside the sim.  I know I have bugged you guys for P3Dv4/P3Dv5 external addon support already (still no love for that approach)

I am hoping MS is making that requirement permanent as the updates will get pushed via their platform

MSFS is currently requiring addons to be installed within the sim files, in the AppData\Roaming folder. Currently it's not possible to install outside the sim folder. I'm sure this will be possible as the sim matures 🙂

3 minutes ago, Mir // Flightbeam said:

MSFS is currently requiring addons to be installed within the sim files, in the AppData\Roaming folder. Currently it's not possible to install outside the sim folder. I'm sure this will be possible as the sim matures 🙂

Thank you for letting me know. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)