Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

How is everyone's performance and FPS so far?

I have a full AMD system Ryzen 5 3600, and a RX 5700 and the most I can get on any setting at 1440p is about 27fps inside of a 747, 50fps+ outside in the exterior view I don't quite understand why I can't hit 30 but even people with worse hardware are doing just fine on 30+ FPS which I don't quite understand. Is there anyone with a similair setup having such issues? This really is regardless what settings I use, low, medium, even on high at HD or 1440p. I've noticed the first 6 cores on my task manager are nearly pegged, the remaning SMT or hyperthreaded cores are doing nothing and the GPU usage seems to drop inside of the cockpit, and seems to be used outside of it.

Can someone explain why this is happening, or give me some direction? Thanks

Edited by Foxhawk
Changed ryzen 3 3600 to Ryzen 5 3600, more info added

3 hours ago, AviationEnthusiast said:

I have to agree with Colonel X here, something is definitely wrong and needs to be fixed by Asobo.

Upon launch, MSFS automatically defaults to High but I'm getting insane micro and macro stutters, lasting anywhere from a couple of seconds to minutes. They are there from start to finish. FPS is high (but unflyable) regardless of what settings I choose.

Specs

• i7-7700K
  • GTX 1080
  • 32 GB RAM
  • SSD
  • 1920x1080

Screenshot below was taken using the following settings

• Preset set to Low
  • AI off
  • Multiplayer off
  • Vehicles and boats off
  • Rolling cache on/off (tried both)
  • HT on/off (tried both)
  • HAGS on/off (tried both)
  • Vsync on/off (tried both)
  • Half resync rate using both Nvidia Control Panel and Rivatuner
  • Antivirus, antispyware and antimalware completely shut off

MkbqrcZ.png

Two days in with extensive testing and I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. Again, settings appear to make no difference whatsoever.. the crazy stutters remain. My system is stable with zero issues outside of MSFS.

Asobo, please fix this. Your simulator is gorgeous but it is literally unusable right now. That being said, any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for writing that. The fastest processor I can update to is the 7700. I think there’s a lot of CPU bottenecking when drawing the many objects.

i have older specs so it’s my fault at the same time minimum specs are barely functional.

time to upgrade the entire system.

I'm using a i7 4790K and GTX 1070, so by far not a current high end system. I started with High settings and then lowered buildings, trees and grass one notch to medium. I'm currently at 40-70 fps on a 1080p monitor, 40fps over Los Angeles and 70fps in the desert in a GA plane.

I had terrible stutters in the beginning when using Little Nav Map and there has been a problem identified that is being worked on. That leads me to believe that some of the stutters might come from the outside of the actual sim. Since MSFS2020 uses SimConnect there is a potential that background programs (moving maps, AI, weather engines, etc) from FSX or P3D could inject data from into sim and possibly cause some stuttering. So, make sure you know what else is running on your computer and see if closing apps (and also services) will resolve that.

Besides that, look at your performance meters to find the bottleneck. If your CPU is at 100% make sure it's again actually the Sim and not the system or a AntiVirus or other program taking away some cycles. If it's the CPU then try lowering some autogen. It reduces the fidelity a little, but at least brings the frame rate up. 

If it's the GPU, then play with texture resolution or AA settings.

Try different aircrafts to see what works and what doesn't. Don't throw in the towel just because you only fly a certain plane. Some fly better than other and it takes time to improve performance for every system. There are many reports of people getting good results with lower end systems. Performance tuning is a beast and requires a lot of knowledge of the system.

One thing I forgot is to try and manually pre-download the region you're in. Maybe your internet connection is not as fast as you think or not consistent. I'm not sure what the sim is doing when it can't load the scenery fast enough. I'm lucky enough to have fast internet and the rolling cache seems to be working fine for me, but yours could be different.

I have a very under-powered rig ( but a new one is coming in couple of days I hope) and I decided to star with a Game Pass version. My computer is AMD FX-6350 with 8Gb RAM and GF GTX750Ti (2Gb).

I get a warning when launching the sim, but it still runs.. I use the def Low End settings and well.. and nothing is especially charming visually. My FPS in A320N cockpit varies 13-18 and outside view in about 30 range.

Petteri

EFNU

Edited by petepawn

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

You can use Render Scaling to influence the fps very much, at least at 4K. Take a look at that, I'm sitting in the air above Stewart, Canada. I paused the sim so we can look at the same picture when I change Render Scaling:

https://vimeo.com/449755233

What does it do? Below 100% it renders at a lower resolution as your native one. Then the image is scaled up and shown. At 100% it renders the images at native resolution. Above 100% it renders at a higher resolution and scales it down.

I don't know what influence this has on fps when using a HD monitor. In 4K fps change is quite big.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

3 hours ago, Foxhawk said:

I have a full AMD system Ryzen 5 3600, and a RX 5700 and the most I can get on any setting at 1440p is about 27fps inside of a 747, 50fps+ outside in the exterior view I don't quite understand why I can't hit 30 but even people with worse hardware are doing just fine on 30+ FPS which I don't quite understand. Is there anyone with a similair setup having such issues? This really is regardless what settings I use, low, medium, even on high at HD or 1440p. I've noticed the first 6 cores on my task manager are nearly pegged, the remaning SMT or hyperthreaded cores are doing nothing and the GPU usage seems to drop inside of the cockpit, and seems to be used outside of it.

Can someone explain why this is happening, or give me some direction? Thanks

Everybody is getting lower FPS with the cockpit view of the airliners.  There is something with the code that gives you 10 to 15 FPS less in airliners.  Just wait for Asobo to optimize the code for the airliners and enjoy the better FPS for GA aircraft in the meantime.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

8 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Everybody is getting lower FPS with the cockpit view of the airliners.  There is something with the code that gives you 10 to 15 FPS less in airliners.  Just wait for Asobo to optimize the code for the airliners and enjoy the better FPS for GA aircraft in the meantime.

It's wishful thinking. Not everything we dislike  will be magically fixed by a patch.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

19 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

A what?! Are you from the future? 

Virgin Media Gig1

i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | 970 EVO M.2 Boot Drive | 870 EVO SSD Sim Drive | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | KINGSTON V300 SSD Boot Drive | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 551.86 WHQL | Oculus Runtime 29.0.0.54.528 | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | Xbox Series X | T.Flight Hotas One | Steam Deck | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

I've only skimmed through the first 10 pages of this thread, let alone looked at the dozens of threads added since download day. Too busy flying!😍

I began the download bang on midnight and it maxxed out my 38Mb/s connection most of the time. I had 2 hiccups where i had to stop and resume the download but it worked after that, taking a full 7 hours install. On start-up, it set me on High, so I was pretty pleased with that. Unfortunately, my Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner FF is crashing the sim, just as it does with DCS World! Yet it works with FSX.🤯 And so I have brought forward my plan to buy the Honeycomb Alpha as Amazon were pricing it at £228 instead of £240. Of course, it is sold out at that price, so it will be 4 to 6 weeks before I get it, but that's fine.

So what am I using for now? A Playstation DS4 controller (via USB)! And you know what, it's actually pretty usable!👍 Standard mapping uses buttons X and O for throttle, which is less instant than a proper throttle control, but it works all the same. I can see the Xbox console version working pretty well for gamers (like it or not!😁).

I had 3 CTDs and seem to have cured those by using my mobo's default setting rather than having the RAM use the XMP profile. I may retry that in the future to confirm that was the actual reason.

I have had a steady 30 fps pretty much everywhere I've tried so far. I was intrigued to see what I could manage if I upped the main slider to Ultra and guess what? Still 30fps most places.👍 Even when it's dropped to 20 fps I've found that the actual presentation remained smooth for the most part (to my eyes at least). I have had as low as 17 fps (airliner, external view), but even that only introduced the odd stutter, and I could simply lower the slider if I'm going to fly over an area that dense. To be capable of 30 fps on Ultra with a PC at the upper end of the Recommended/Ideal spec crossover is testament to the work of Asobo. Screen resolution is 1080p

My GPU certainly take a huge hit to get Ultra though - 90-95% load. CPU will occasionally hit 65%+ and RAM can be 50%, but you don't buy components to be barely tested unless you've only bought them to last for 30 years.😁

There are negatives in other areas, but nothing so far that compares with FSX - it really is a quantum leap in design and implementation.

Edited by 109Sqn
added screen resolution

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

OK so I spent most of yesterday dicking about with the A320 being thoroughly disappointed and today had a proper go at setting up the sim. I followed a really good video by Squirrel on YT and got some decent results so decided to jump in various GA starting with the 152.

OMG I just spent the last 4 hour buzzing around my local area (Toronto up to Muskoka) around 2,000 ft and just in freakin awe at what I witnessed. Admittedly I had a few real slow downs but I think that is probably the 7200 RPM WD Black I installed it on for now as I did not have enough SSD space. Once the sim settled I got a solid 60 FPS and it was pure magic. For the 1st time in my long sim career I really didn't care for Airliners. It was a euphoric moment for me that's for sure !!

Even when PMDG do release for MSFS 2020 I don't know I'll bother. Tonight was I think the closest and most realistic experience I have ever had in a simulator. I honestly believe I now know what it is like to fly a real aircraft and let me tell you my new Honeycomb yoke is just sublime. I did an entire flight in the 152 from Kincardine on the shores of Lake Huron to Brampton Flying club, no autopilot just tweaking the trim every now and then, it flew so well I could take my hands off the yoke and use the mouse to marvel at the scenery.

I don't want to go to bed lol

Blue skies everyone and be patient, I know the bugs will be ironed out leaving this sim truly what we all want it to be

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I never cared airliners. I was forced to learn flying those monsters in FSX/P3D because VFR was no fun. Now I can stick with GA planes for years to see around the wonderful world in MSFS.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I've found having the game run in windowed mode helps me ALOT with performance compared to full screen.  If people having a lot of issues with stuttering etc try that.

I agree with a lot that has been said about flying Airliners to GA aircraft -  GA is by far more fun in MS2020 at the moment.  You can't really see much flying Airliners due to the haze/glare going on but when I'm climbing and in cruise I set the camera to showcase and just look out the window - amazing views.

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Here's am A320 flight out of YVR I flew earlier tonight. Live weather, overcast skies with rain. Render scaling is 130 and I changed volumetric clouds to high instead of ultra. I find with ultra my FPS get choppy if I'm panning around, on high it's fluid.

If you have the stutters along with changing the graphics settings doing nothing to help, you have the weird bug that no-one can figure out. I have been there done that on launch day. Check task manager, make sure there is nothing taxing the CPU, nothing! I have a theory that some applications are just not playing nice with MSFS, it may also have a connection with windows firewall. I ended the stutter problem magically after hours of banging my head by killing the task 'lightingservice.exe' (ASUS RGB lighting app) A google search showed that this app has had problems with windows firewall before. 

I get awesome performance with a i5-7600K, 1070ti, 16GB RAM. I do have to cap my frames at 30 to keep great visuals (med-high, 1440p) without my GPU getting hot, its a small price to pay though. 

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case