Sign in to follow this  
WestAir

Sensitive controls

16 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Or could it be that this 'sensitivity' curve actually is a timing curve, making control inputs come though at a lower pace and in the end it catches up? That's how it was / is in FSX.

Thats exactly what it is. It's like setting expo on a RC transmitter 

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Are your control inputs officially supported? If not this may be why.

The adjustments are part of the sim's core programming, so yes they are "officially supported."

There is a video in the Tips and Tricks forum that runs through the proper setup of the response curves from linear to logarithmic.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

9 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That's where alot of people get it wrong.  Never underestimate the value of a good quality controller for a desktop flightsim.   There is a huge difference between a $50 controller and a $500 controller for a general 'sense' of realism and immersion.  Most people under-invest in controller units..

Oh, I know. I have a VKB Gladiator K which MSFS doesn't know what to do with by default but it's one of the best sticks out there.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1st flight found the GA aircraft twitchy. Need to go & check/reset control inputs.

Also, naively, assumed the keyboard settings would be same as P3D.

Not so, some work, (G for U/C up & down),  but I need to reset quite a few or learn the MSFS settings.

T45

4 hours ago, WestAir said:

My Logitech Attack 3 joystick is not, but my thrustmaster pedals are. Both are equally squirrely and sensitive.

The controllers sensitivity settings do take a bit of time to get right, at least I had the Alpha/Beta to practice in first.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

First flight was well dodgy owing to the sensitivity, had to be really gentle to get it up to altitude then trim it carefully. Needed very aggressive drop in sensitivity curves in all controller axes to get the thing controllable (Cessna 152), but once I'd done that, it was okay. Amazed I didn't crash the aeroplane on those initial default control sensitivity settings.

Not sure why they felt the need to depart from the old FS keyboard shortcuts so much. Bit of a learning curve there methinks to suss them out, or some heavy editing of the keyboard shortcuts. But it looks great and flies well so far.

Sim is currently updating to the Premium Deluxe version I bought after my early excursion to Kiribati via Gampass to download the Standard version for what I thought would be a quick look (not with that download speed it wasn't). Download on proper UK settings is coming a lot quicker now though for some reason, so the 787 and all that malarkey is now on the way down the pipe.

Graphically it's every bit as good as you'd hope and runs well too with good FPS, especially if you back the rendering settings settings off slightly.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Question Re: Sensitivity settings in sim

Are there profiles you can name/save so that you can set different sensitivities (and also different button commands) per aircraft?

I imagine it varies with each controller. With the Honeycomb Alpha I found a linear response and no null zone to suit me best. The stiff elevator control with that yoke allows good control with realistic pressure as compared to the Cessnas I fly in real life. Roll control, while not as stiff in feel, also responds to inputs in a very realistic fashion when set to linear. My old sloppy CH yoke, however would almost certainly require a different response curve setting. 

• Like 5

Chris

1 minute ago, snglecoil said:

I imagine it varies with each controller. With the Honeycomb Alpha I found a linear response and no null zone to suit me best. The stiff elevator control with that yoke allows good control with realistic pressure as compared to the Cessnas I fly in real life. Roll control, while not as stiff in feel, also responds to inputs in a very realistic fashion when set to linear. My old sloppy CH yoke, however would almost certainly require a different response curve setting. 

We'll have to compare notes. I have the same yoke (also have the saitek radio panel, but im assuming that wont be recognized.

7 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I've always noticed that a joystick was more sensitive than my yoke.  Could never get my TM TCA to feel right in xp11, so i sent it back lol i'll just stick with my honeycomb for now 

• Upvote 1

Make sure you assigned all your essentials controls (elevation/aileron/pitch/rudder etc.) to an axis input and not a button input, the controls UI is confusing on this particular point and it's very easy to be mistaken, when mapped to a button input it's overly sensitive as it acts as an on/off input rather than a progressive one.

Edited by Jonathan Berthier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

The adjustments are part of the sim's core programming, so yes they are "officially supported."

There is a video in the Tips and Tricks forum that runs through the proper setup of the response curves from linear to logarithmic.

So why not being really helpful and give us the link please.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

For anyone using the Logitech yoke, it was pretty much non-flyable for me during the testing. The Logitech just doesn't have the resolution causing the plane to jerk up and down when controlling the elevators. I ended up buying the honeycomb and it made all the difference. I kept the Logitech rudder pedals and added a curve to lessen sensitivity on initial movements. The honeycomb is has no curve and no null zone, for me it's perfect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, decker89 said:

For anyone using the Logitech yoke, it was pretty much non-flyable for me during the testing. The Logitech just doesn't have the resolution causing the plane to jerk up and down when controlling the elevators. I ended up buying the honeycomb and it made all the difference. I kept the Logitech rudder pedals and added a curve to lessen sensitivity on initial movements. The honeycomb is has no curve and no null zone, for me it's perfect.

That's how it feels for me with the logitech. Thanks for the clarification.

I have a CH Yoke but didn't want to try making room for it. Looks like I don't have much choice. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.