Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Installing from Steam - User Reports?

Download speed for the first 4GB was 50Mbps (basically my Wifi speed limit). Was looking forward to firing it up in around 6 hours. Download speed has now dropped to 0.5-2Mbps. Don't even want to contemplate how long this will take...

3 minutes ago, gunther said:

Download speed for the first 4GB was 50Mbps (basically my Wifi speed limit). Was looking forward to firing it up in around 6 hours. Download speed has now dropped to 0.5-2Mbps. Don't even want to contemplate how long this will take...

I have 300 MB’s coming down, and there are a few spots like that, then it goes full speed again..  but yea, you might want to settle in.

Edited by FrankR409
  • Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

almost there.  Downloaded 85GB.

12700K@5.1Ghz, ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4, Noctua NH-U12S, G.SKILL 32GB Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600MHz, SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 1TB, Gigabyte RTX 1080 Ti, Cooler Master V750 Gold 750W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell 24" 2408WFP 1920x1200 30 frames vSync to 60Hz, Fulcrum One Yoke,  MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedal, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Multi Panel, DIY Cessna 172 Radio stack (via Arduino/MobiFlight), Air manager V4 on 10" 1920x1080 monitor

I don't remember as I haven't used steam for a while. Can I only run FS without any steam process using resources?

Other than that anything that's better in the ms store? Thanks

Installed this morning with the usual Steam Button "Install", then i choose the drive, then it ran about 5 minutes.

Then the game startet and asked me where to download the content packages. I created a folder on the same drive and then the installation ran very fast.

I had to log on with my Windows Account.

Done.

Could not be easier.

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Note for Insider Preview build users: I mentioned this in another thread about issues with the MS Store and I will also mention it here in case it helps someone with an Insider Preview build. The installer from the MS Store WILL NOT WORK. To date there is no fix. 

Thankfully, I switched to the Steam version before release after I noticed that MS Store users ran into trouble with the Insider Preview build a few hours ago. The Steam version has installed perfectly so far - just waiting for the download to finish. 

Bottom line... For my scenario, Steam works, MS Store fails. Doesn't surprise me, really. 

This is the fasted download I've had out of maybe 6, about double the speed of others.  It's topped out my internet, which isn't all that fast, but that's a first.  So far so good.  Pretty excited to fly the 172 with a panel like I learned on.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have Steam installed on my pc and I'm never asked to "sign in" after I buy a game and install it. You 1) buy the game, 2) the game shows up in your steam library, 3) clicking the "install" button will install the game into the specified folder. 4) after installation, steam sometimes installs additional files. Done. 

For those who've been able to download the game, are you then asked to install additional apps like the xbox apps?

No - but it is an bit of an odd install from the normal Steam installs. The Steam download was something like 520Mb - so that is just the launcher. Then you start that and it asks you to login with your MS/Xbox account. After that a dialog pops up and asks you to install "additional content" (90.1 Gb). initially it had set the install path to "C\Program Files\yada yada" so I changed that to another drive and it started downloading. Download took about an hour so good speed (on 250 Mbit fibre).

So it is really not that "integrated" with Steam at all.

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

9 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

So you have to point the installer manually to your steam/common/apps folder?

Steam only gives you the installer provided by Microsoft. It's only around 500MB. When you run it for the first time it will download (I presume) from the MS servers. You can choose the installation location during the install.

The installer got stuck on the blue bar before even asking me where to install -- twice. Third time of restarting my computer and rerunning the installer was the charm, downloading now.

James

Going ok with me so far, but wife not happy 😕 because she needs the puter and last time I checked it was only at 23% 😞

I really don't want to interrupt the install...

The nice thing about the Steam install is that it was easier to set the folders and partitions used for the install using the usual Steam way.

The default executable, some MB long, I chose to install to disk/partition F:, and then when it pushed it in less then a minute and I started MFS, the big install was directed also to F: because of the default "C:\..."  suggested folder I changed it to "F:\MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR\PACKAGES".

All will go into F:, just as I wanted it to, because my system SSD is small.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For those "Steam" users, and you paid for Premium Deluxe, but only get the "Standard", the devs posted on Steam Discussion that they are working on a fix.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Flawless install, actually a lot better than my experience with the Alpha.

Took 2,5 hrs here in Portugal, with 100Mbps cable internet.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...