Sign in to follow this  
vMambaaa

Fighting with my VKB Gladiator MK.2, User Error?

I bought a VKB Gladiator MK.2 a week ago in preparation for MSFS which is basically my first joystick ever.  MSFS doesn't recognize it but I've slowly figured out how to assign all the buttons I need to it however when actually trying to fly it seems like the sensitivity curve/dead zone is all out of wack and I can't figure out if it's calibrated wrong or if MSFS is having trouble with it.  It seems as if I cannot make any small adjustments and there's seemingly a huge dead zone but maybe I'm going crazy.  I've attempted to try different sensitivity curves in game and tried re calibrating with VKB's tool but haven't quite found a solution.  I'm really new to this so it's possible I'm just messing this up.  Does anybody have any advice/wisdom here?

Just a guess, but you have to assign ailerons and elevator to an *AXIS* so that the movement is continuous.  Lots of people having problems figuring that out.  It is possible to get them assigned as if they were buttons.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I'm using an updated version of your joystick, the VKB Gladiator K and it's perfect. Yes, you do have to assign all the buttons but that's how it goes. 

Did you do the initial calibration in the VKB software? This is unlike other sticks, where the calibration lives in Windows or it self calibrates. The calibration lives in the 32bit ARM processor inside the stick but you have to calibrate it at least once.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

8 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Just a guess, but you have to assign ailerons and elevator to an *AXIS* so that the movement is continuous.  Lots of people having problems figuring that out.  It is possible to get them assigned as if they were buttons.

Hook

I actually did have it set to X axis + and - before and I kind of realized that right after I posted this. But I tried to do a joystick reset now it’s not working in game at all except the menu shows it recognized the input and my buttons+throttle still works.

I feel like an word not allowed, all the different Axis had me all turned around but I figured it out and flashed a new firmware to my stick in the process which in reality probably didn't do anything but didn't hurt either.  Regardless I was able to do my first real take-off and landing successfully and I can go to bed at peace.  Thanks guys.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vMambaaa said:

Regardless I was able to do my first real take-off and landing successfully

Yay!! \o/ 😄 

Congrats.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

24 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Yay!! \o/ 😄 

Congrats.

Hook

It was rough but I managed. Looking forward to hitting the trainings tomorrow now that I have my joystick issue sorted out. Thanks for the help, Hook!

• Like 1

Any way y'all could share your button assignments for the gladiator mkii? Would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance!

On 8/18/2020 at 8:11 AM, Slides said:

I'm using an updated version of your joystick, the VKB Gladiator K and it's perfect.

If it possible can you share your configuration profile? I have same joystick. Thanks!

Well, I continue to have problems with my Gladiator K.  I have tried EVERYTHING!  I have assigned +/- axes, and I have tried just generic axes.  I have re-calibrated using Wizzo and VKBdevconfig,  Testing checks out okay.  I have tried every sensitivity rating from +100% to -100%.  Nothing seems to work, so I am obviously missing something.

When I try to steer with yaw axis, the plane either veers violently to the left or to the right.  When I pull back to lift off on takeoff, the nose of the plane veers straight up.  If I try to correct with down elevator, the plane noses into the ground.  Throttle is either closed or full open, nothing in between .

Really frustrated here.  I haven't been able to make one flight yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Are you 100% positive you didn't map your axis to the inputs meant for buttons? It's easy to make this mistake in the UI. I would reset your profile in the sim and try again.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Thanks for following up. They are pointed in the right direction.  .  Here is an example of how I had the joystick (not buttons) set up:  AILERON LEFT (ROLL LEFT):  "Joystick L-Axis X".  I was not using the generic aileron choice.  I plugged in my old T16000M and looked at how MSFS had that set up and was able to figure it out from there.

Still quite a change in flight models from X-Plane, as is camera control.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by westcliffeco

14 minutes ago, westcliffeco said:

Thanks for following up. They are pointed in the right direction.  .  Here is an example of how I had the joystick (not buttons) set up:  AILERON LEFT (ROLL LEFT):  "Joystick L-Axis X".  I was not using the generic aileron choice.  I plugged in my old T16000M and looked at how MSFS had that set up and was able to figure it out from there.

Still quite a change in flight models from X-Plane, as is camera control.

Thanks again for your input.

When assigning joystick axes you should be doing so to commands ending in -AXIS. If you do not and assign instead to "Aileron left" for example,  it will be like flying with the keyboard with the same jerky responses.

As I said, I figured it out and everything is working okay now.  I was using "-Axis"  as you can see in my last post. 

Edited by westcliffeco