Heyo,

I'm considering buying a new display to replace my 24" 1080p one. I am space limited, about 80cm is the maximum width for the display, so it's touch and go if a 34" curved ultrawide would fit, but I'd like the widest display I can fit.

Either way, after looking at ultrawides for a while I realised that instead of maximum horizontal FOV, I might want better vertical FOV too when it comes to flight sims. So in you people's experience, for flight sims, ultrawide or regular widescreen? I'll probably fly big airliners on VATSIM 95% of the time, hoping to get TrackIR.

I won't mind other tips on what I should look for in a display. I have a 1080ti so personally I think my sweet spot in resolution would be 1440p. Don't need high refresh rate either, 144Hz is more than enough. Budget cap is 700€.

Thank you,
Aleksi

It’s obviously a very personal thing but, for me, I just prefer the extra vertical screen space. I think that until you get into the really large ultrawides (49”), there’s just not enough vertical real estate. It always feels as though I’m looking through a letterbox! Like you, I also don’t have the space for a really large monitor but I’m very happy with my 32” 2560x1440 QHD model.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

It’s obviously a very personal thing but, for me, I just prefer the extra vertical screen space. I think that until you get into the really large ultrawides (49”), there’s just not enough vertical real estate. It always feels as though I’m looking through a letterbox! Like you, I also don’t have the space for a really large monitor but I’m very happy with my 32” 2560x1440 QHD model.

Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning towards those same specs too

@lellulillu, a 1080Ti is more than capable of running 4K/UHD. If you're going to stay with a 16:9 display then that card is more than capable of delivering good fps and the sharpness is wonderful.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@lellulillu, a 1080Ti is more than capable of running 4K/UHD. If you're going to stay with a 16:9 display then that card is more than capable of delivering good fps and the sharpness is wonderful.

Thanks 🙂 but I already went and ordered a 2560x1440 display. I might be wrong, but I have never seen a big difference between 2k and 4k. I have a 50" 4k display acting as a TV, and the games I've played on that, I've turned down to 2k because I haven't seen the difference in resolution and with 2k I could turn all settings to Ultra. Although I heard that some people with 2080ti don't have any difference in FPS between 2k and 4k. But I'll eventually be flying big airliners on big airports with big traffic so hopefully I saved money at the right place in thinking that I'd turn the res down anyway to get smoother frames.

2 hours ago, lellulillu said:

Thanks 🙂 but I already went and ordered a 2560x1440 display. I might be wrong, but I have never seen a big difference between 2k and 4k. I have a 50" 4k display acting as a TV, and the games I've played on that, I've turned down to 2k because I haven't seen the difference in resolution and with 2k I could turn all settings to Ultra.

2160 vertical pixels is 50% more than 1440 so there is a significant difference. Maybe it's the size of the display. I have a 32" and everything is extremely sharp. Your call of course and if you're happy that's all that matters.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather