Sign in to follow this  
Hippo

RANT: It's my computer. I'll put things where I want them.

My preference is to specify a folder of my choice and have the game installed there.  Oh no - well at least I can specify the disk - my D drive.  Let's go - over 100GB I'll leave it downloading thru the night.  Was able to specify a folder for packages - ok good.

Morning:  oh no download failed at around 10%  some error code I forgot to note. 

Restarted.  Something not right as there's still loads to download, but it's going into a settings menu, which isn't quite right as all the menu options are code variables for what the actual text should be.  Still, download seems to continues but at some point ... CTD.  Eventually just get the TBM with a bar at the bottom, nothing seems to be happening.  Nothing is downloading.

Attempt to uninstall.  OK.  Hello, what new hell is this?  A number of folders on my D drive that I can't even access.  I take ownership, and delete them all.

New install attempt, by my D drive is not offered as an option.  Am now stuck, as it must go on D.

Does anyone know what other word not allowed I have to remove from my system so I can attempt another reinstall?

• Upvote 1

I have now recovered my system from backup images.  Will try to install again soon.  I can't even remember the last time I had to do this because a game install went wrong.

Recovered my system.  Went to the MS Store and selected install.

BTW Is there a good reason why I see three items on there?

MIcrosoft Flight Simulator: Standard

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Digital Ownership

This is just confusing.

These items appeared to install, but in the MS store they were showing an error, so I clicked on the refresh icon and the items then showed as installed after a putative reattempt.  I then ran FS, and I just get a window with a TBM and a slowly increasing blue progress bar on the bottom.  No information, nothing to give an indication as to what is happening.  There's also music that can't be silenced (arrrgh).  The blue bar is now at around 80% and is not moving.  There is no indication whatsoever as to whether I need to do anything.  I suppose I'll stop it and restart it and see how that goes.  I fear another system recovery is coming.

This is all very sub-par.

• Upvote 1

And this is why I purchased on Steam. All this behaviour from the MS Store was forewarned by several folks. Can you get a refund from MS Store and repurhcase through Steam?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Restarted, nice TBM pic again but now I'm prompted for the install packages path.  I have selected the folder

D:\FS2020\Packages (which I have created) from the popup.  I didn't have to click on update or anything.  No confirmation, nothing.  I'm back to watching a slowly increasing blue progress bar.  No message, no indication as to what the program is doing.

I can see that there is no network activity, so nothing is being downloaded.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Hippo

This is not hard at all. Install all 3 which has an install button next to it. I have mine installed on my d drive and it went smoothly. Left it and went to bed and when I woke up it was ready to go 

4 minutes ago, devgrp said:

This is not hard at all. Install all 3 which has an install button next to it. I have mine installed on my d drive and it went smoothly. Left it and went to bed and when I woke up it was ready to go 

They all appear to have installed, they all show "Launch" now.  Of course it's not "hard at all" if it all works.  If it doesn't work, then it all just adds to the confusion.  Why not just have one item?  Meanwhile, I sit watching the blue bar, no indication from the program as to what it's doing. I strongly suspect: sweet FA.

Edited by Hippo

It's really not that hard, create a folder on the drive where you want the core files to be. Download the app, let it install on the C drive and then use the Windows MOVE button to put it where you want it. Start the Game. When the game reaches the update screen, you can then choose, at the bottom of the screen, where you want the core files to go. Use the BROWSE button to direct them to the folder you created that can be anywhere you choose.

The other choice is to rush the whole thing in a blind panic to get it working and ignore each step. This will leave you with the whole thing on the C drive, if it's big enough. This leaves time to visit the Avsim forums and complain at length about how it will not let you do what you want to.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

My install is just stuck at 10gigs.  I had to restart this morning because it was installing files on my C:\.  Got it to point and install in my folder of choice but it can't complete the download, it's just stuck.  This is the worst idea in having people download this much data.  A good old install CD would have been better.  As I work from home I don't have the luxury of a clear pipe to download this much data.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Why should I let it install on the C drive when I want it on the D drive, and I'm offered the D drive as an option?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hippo said:

Why should I let it install on the C drive when I want it on the D drive, and I'm offered the D drive as an option?  

Some files will install on the c drive, it's windows man. The core content is what you can install to another drive

No, you can move the whole thing to wherever you want. It's Windows 10 man.

Stuck at 80% percent again.  Closed and restarted.  Press any key.  Checking for updates.  Blue bar.  No indication what could be going on.  I could now be stuck in a loop for ever.  This is utterly woeful.

But, no , ... Hello.  Stopped and restared (again).  On this attempt it is now downloading packages. just 91.36gb to go.  Here goes nothing.  Getting around 70 Mbps, which is where my connection tops out.

Edited by Hippo

Have to agree that I haven't had this much of an issue installing something in a long while. The installer really should have done prerequisite and permission checks in advance of the install, rather than having users fiddle around endlessly with Windows Store / Xbox apps, licensing and permissions on their own. The Content Manager CTDs should also never have gotten past testing.

Also followed others advice to change where windows installs apps in Win10, and pre-installed the launcher on my dedicated FS drive (F: in my case) a few weeks ago - that is likely what created a number of issues as well.

Uninstalled FS, and deleted the corrupted download on F. Then reinstalled the launcher on C, and targeted the FS install to a brand new empty directory on F. Finally progressing again...

Phew.  The download completed, and I now have the game installed.  Curiously, it hasn't created folders in drive D that it did on the previous attempt (even though I did request it).  The Packages are on D where they should be, but I'm guessing the WindowsApps and other installation folders have gone to C this time.  Inconsistent, and odd, behaviour,

Ah well, time to try it out...