Sign in to follow this  
Nedo68

Just got my Premium Deluxe DVD Version

3 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

But what about the updates from the last betas to the release ? The discs were pressed weeks ago. Only 1 GB ?

Here https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/580293-fs2020-install-disks/ they say about 20 GB

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

Just now, Mirach said:

Thanks !

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ok, I'm really confused as to whether MSFS DVD disc needs to be inserted in the drive while playing or not.. I created a ticket on Aerosoft website for clarification and got this:

The DVD needs to be in the drive, sir. We had to do it that way because Microsoft insisted on that. 

With friendly greetings,

Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft Customer Support

Perhaps there editions other than from Aerosoft in other regions and they don't need the disc?

32 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

But what about the updates from the last betas to the release ? The discs were pressed weeks ago. Only 1 GB ?

You're right, I hadn't considered the time between pressing and release.

Still, 20GB seems a little excessive considering it's mostly been bug fixes the last few weeks. Perhaps the file structure isn't too great at handling smaller updates, and this amount will probably grow over time reducing the usefulness of the physical edition. Rather disappointing.

Also regarding this whole DVD check, I have the feeling that it might have been temporarily disabled because there are many who bought the digital editions and were asked for a DVD check, with the team supposedly working on that now. Let's see how this goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The DVDs include all the content from the 91,36GB download. The core simulator which is about 1GB has to be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. Until the content starts getting updated, this is the only download that has to be made now.

(Hi new to avsim but in a big of a pickle)

I brought the Physical Standard Edition from Amazon

I downloaded from the DVDs to my 240gb SSD, as it told you to do in the handbook. The size of all the files on my SSD came to just over 93gb. Then it loaded up the Microsoft Store, and prompted me to put my Activation code. I did and it was added my account. I then asked me to install what I thought was the final bit, but said It needed 127gb free space to install. I don't know whats gone wrong, and cannot try to install and hope it discovers the files already there as the Microsoft Store won't let me. Any ideas on what I should do? I don't want to reinstall the whole thing, but I am fine to do that over internet if I have to, I mainly brought for DVDs as a collectors item.

Edited by matttherat2003
It has installed 93gb of the DVDs not 120

14 minutes ago, matttherat2003 said:

Any ideas on what I should do? I don't want to reinstall the whole thing, but I am fine to do that over internet if I have to, I mainly brought for DVDs as a collectors item.

Sounds really strange indeed. Perhaps it just needs to go through the installation process to recognise that the files are already installed, but they forgot to remove the disk space check in this case. I've had this happen with other software in the past too. Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than letting the files be downloaded online, as going through the same process with the DVDs as noted in the manual might result in the same issue. It might be worth to try posting over at the official forums of Aerosoft, who produce the physical copy of the simulator. In this thread their administrator answers questions and support issues. Good luck!

20 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Sounds really strange indeed. Perhaps it just needs to go through the installation process to recognise that the files are already installed, but they forgot to remove the disk space check in this case. I've had this happen with other software in the past too. Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than letting the files be downloaded online, as going through the same process with the DVDs as noted in the manual might result in the same issue. It might be worth to try posting over at the official forums of Aerosoft, who produce the physical copy of the simulator. In this thread their administrator answers questions and support issues. Good luck!

I've pulled some of the folders (Scenery/Texture) out of the files, taking about 10gb out and putting them on an HDD for safe keeping. That has allowed me to start installing from the Store. This Install was 1gb, plus some c++ and DirectX things. I then put the folders back into the game where they were before. Booted up and it seemed fine, then got to the update screen and it wants to install the 90gbs. Won't let me select the file with the install in to to rediscover it. So guess I'm installing it again. May try to copy over files that it hasn't downloaded yet and see what happens.

4 hours ago, matttherat2003 said:

So guess I'm installing it again. May try to copy over files that it hasn't downloaded yet and see what happens.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Hopefully with the reinstall it will be fine in the end, but at least you're not alone, the client has been problematic for lots of people. If possible, please let us know if a DVD check is required to run the simulator afterwards.

9 hours ago, nugat said:

Thankfully it looks like they've kept the same keyboard layout as FSX? So if you have a keyboard layout for FSX it should work for FS2020 too 🙂

I understand from one of the interview videos that some of the key mappings have changed but you can probably change them to what your mapping software is looking for or visi-versa.  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The DVD version is only available in Europe from Aerosoft 

Hi guys.   I had a lot of trouble with my  DVD Installation.   Truth is   I was at a stand still   after activation,   it did the 1Gig download from the store,   but  in the update,   it never stopped I was so sick of waiting,   my Question is    Was this right   is this download so big  it takes a day or t wo ?  can anyone say    thank you.   Charles

Edited by Chas458682

19 minutes ago, Chas458682 said:

Hi guys.   I had a lot of trouble with my  DVD Installation.   Truth is   I was at a stand still   after activation,   it did the 1Gig download from the store,   but  in the update,   it never stopped I was so sick of waiting,   my Question is    Was this right   is this download so big  it takes a day or t wo ?  can anyone say    thank you.   Charles

What speed is your internet connection ?

Real...physical...documentation......Almost brings a tear to my eye....😢  Oh...the tome that was included in FS4.0.  Or the Jeppesens that were included in FS2.0.  

Those were the days.....  (grin)

1 hour ago, Chas458682 said:

There is a recent bug causing some downloads to keep going on indefinitely (beyond 100%). I think restarting the installation manager resolves this.

Otherwise the installation manager should tell you how much of a download is left. At launch a 20GB update was required to bring the simulator to date with the launch version, now it could be 30-40GB or even more. Unfortunately as the simulator keeps getting patched, the DVD install becomes more and more useless.