Sign in to follow this  
JerryT87

Which store?

So whats the consensus? Use the MS store, or Steam? Seems like people are having issues with both. I'll be getting mine later today.

Thanks

I bought through Microsoft shop, download without problems took 1 hour 23 minutes.  the installation and update to premium version also went smoothly.  First short flight and my impression is positive

• Like 1

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+ 

I'd suggest Just Flight.Problem with MS is that I had to install where they wanted to. Even moving the app didn't work. With Steam although you can install their apps on any drive I believe they have to stay together. So you may want FS on a separate drive and I believe Just Flight is the answer. I bought a brand new M.2 drive but  MS wouldn't let me install it there.Luckily Windows is on a 1 TB SSD so I have lots of room.When somebody comes up with a solution though I'd like to move it to the M.2.

Edited by Lenny777

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I would go with MS Store, Steam version has zero advantages and doesn't use any steam feature. All the download, installation and update are done through the game and the multiplayer uses Xbox Live. So basically steam is just eating RAM in the background. 

Reviews are also very bad on steam. 54% positive review.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410

Edited by Aaron555
  • Like 1

I also had almost smooth experience with the MS Store. Just be sure you have an updated Windows 10 installation not tinkered with.

Most problems with the MS Store install seems to be from not up to date or somehow customized Windows installs.

Then there is the "big download" that is managed from the game itself and the problems with it don't look to depend from the store...

From the MS Store app you will be able to choose where to install the core launcher (1 GB, I see no reason to move it outside the system disk). Then from the contents update screen you will be able to select a specific folder on any disk for the >90GB big download,

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

9 minutes ago, Jac_49 said:

I bought through Microsoft shop, download without problems took 1 hour 23 minutes.  the installation and update to premium version also went smoothly.  First short flight and my impression is positive

So it doesn't download the premium as part of the install? I see in the store it has all the versions under the premium.

I first had to install the Standard Edition, which is the installer, then the update to Deluxe and Premium will follow automatically, also updates, after start de Flightsim the first time.

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+ 

I pre-ordered from MS store then had to cancel ( 4 times).

Every time, I tried to install it got an error, saying my auto update is not on., it was on all the time.

I run all sort of Microsoft repair tools but no success. It was frustrating so I gave up.

I night go to Steam or just flight.

Steam and Just Flight will need an MS account to install for in app purchases.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I guess I'm just gonna wait until either MS gets its word not allowed together (not likely), or someone does a tutorial on how to install this nightmare, lol. Can't believe that in 2020 a game install behaves like something from the good ol' DOS days. 🙄

Edited by JerryT87

I'd stick with MS Store. Everything else was a bit of an afterthought by the devs, and given that installation isn't straightforward for some, it seems to be the safest option.

I downloaded from there in the first wave, no problems encountered (obviously this is not true for all).

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."