Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

What is the install path of msfs?

As i already tried to explain weeks ago...

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

1 minute ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

This might not make a difference, the download client is the exact same as the Microsoft Store version, with the same problems and everything. This means that only the simulator base will reside in Steam's folders, with the WpSystem directory for the content once again.

What is the wpsystem folder? And cant I decide on what drive that folder goes?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

The launcher folder, including the .exe, is the one that happens during the initial small install. You say you've moved it to another drive but can't see it. Have you enabled the ability to see hidden folders in Windows? Otherwise the default OS based path is DriveName:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

You can always search out 'flightsimulator.exe' on your PC, see where it resides if you aren't sure. 

The main bulk of the files, all the actual content for the sim was chosen during installation. That is the folder with "Official" and "Community". If you check its size, you'll see it's 90GB+

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

The launcher folder, including the .exe, is the one that happens during the initial small install. You say you've moved it to another drive but can't see it. Have you enabled the ability to see hidden folders in Windows? Otherwise the default OS based path is DriveName:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

You can always search out 'flightsimulator.exe' on your PC, see where it resides if you aren't sure. 

The main bulk of the files, all the actual content for the sim was chosen during installation. That is the folder with "Official" and "Community". If you check its size, you'll see it's 90GB+

But what is in the Wpsystem folder? It is in my E drive which is not an SSD. 

Andreas Stangenes

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

That`s the install folder you will not get full access to the folder once installed MS or Steam.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I'm not sure if that folder serves any other use than the simulator's content, but I know for sure that I couldn't decide where the content goes after I launched the client. In fact, in the client it was said that the directory would be placed in my C:\ drive, but it ended up being downloaded in my D:\ drive that I had selected from the Microsoft Store. It's extremely weird. But what's for sure is that the Steam version is not going to be any different.

I have put everything on F: drive, and the launcher created its folders on F, E and D drive, didn't check the C though. But I am downloading content int the F:/MFSF folder. Alpha and beta version worked that way. We'll see how this goes

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

21 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

But what is in the Wpsystem folder? It is in my E drive which is not an SSD. 

Just a support folder for UWP. As mentioned, it can spit these out on multiple drives that you didn't select anywhere, for whatever reason. Usually happens once you select to install UWP applications somewhere other than the OS drive. The launcher, which I believe should be sitting in a WindowsApps folder, should be located in the root of you drive you picked. If you picked the OS drive, it'll be in the previously mentioned paths.

If you are unable to find the mentioned folders on the drive you picked, simply search out 'FlightSimulator.exe', that's located within the UWP launcher folder, then you can see where it's hiding. 

And the actual content of the simulator, the stuff you downloaded in the launcher, is sitting in the folder with the 'Official' and 'Community' folders.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Im probably just gonna buy it again from Steam since it is my preferred platform. I know how it works, but with ms store its all very archaic. 

Check the reviews on the steam first. They do not look great.

Well, I have already played the game till 2.30 in the morning, and then again from 08 🙂 So it's not that its not working for me, but I am not getting the performace I was hoping, and I dont know if it has anything to do with where the sim is installed. Seems a bit chaotic right now, but it might just be smokes and mirrors. I haven't purchased it of steam yet, gonna wait and see a bit. it doesnt make sense to buy it twice if it doesnt actually give me more control. 

Andreas Stangenes

3 minutes ago, IgorBR said:

Check the reviews on the steam first. They do not look great.

That has more to do with the main download being through Microsoft's launcher, which is struggling for a lot of people, more so than anything regarding Steam.

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

That has more to do with the main download being through Microsoft's launcher, which is struggling for a lot of people, more so than anything regarding Steam.

So all in all, do you think buying MSFS2020 from Steam is better choice? I am seriously asking because have not made my mind up yet.

1 hour ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

OMG, why not just allow to install it in whatever folder and be done with it? Different folders, different locations, taking permissions, moving stuff around,.. this just calls for issues.

Because it wants to install it on my puny HDD when I want it installed on my massive SSD? For starters...

Edited by mtr75

2 minutes ago, IgorBR said:

So all in all, do you think buying MSFS2020 from Steam is better choice? I am seriously asking because have not made my mind up yet.

Made a small summary in another post; 

Both have some advantages and seeing as you're only downloading the small launcher part through the respective store interfaces, they come fairly close to each other. Base you decision and what you're looking for in that summary, potentially saving some money or you want some of Steam's functionality. 

Man, im glad im not the only one thinking i had totally screwed the install up! Phew and thanks for the good explanations!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug