Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

What is the install path of msfs?

I have an empty SSD, my M drive, to which I "moved" the original download that I got from the MS store to giving me three folders: Program Files, WindowsApps and WpSystem.  The downloader from the store wants to install to  the C drive AppData.  I want it on the new M drive. Should I put those three files in a folder called MSFS, say, that point the loader to M:\MSFS\WpSystem?

Bob Zolto

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 8/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, skysurfer said:

I changed where store apps should be installed to the drive I wanted and the installer added several files. Which one of those are MSFS2020 files and can I move them to my MSFS folder?

Also, where is the exe file to start the sim? Cannot find it. 

50241659202_a090cde9dd_n.jpg

My installation of the 990Gb went Ok to another drive but when I try to launch FS from the installed icon it tries to run FlightSimulator.exe from C:\Program Files\ WindowsApps and it cannot find it. Possibly because WindowsApps is locked by trustedInstaller and I cannot get access.
I do not think you could move anything as some folders are locked by TrustedInstaller.

Waiting and hoping MS will solve this....

So, I posted the OP, and I have a new question related to the topic of this thread:

In "my time" we learned certain good behaviours when installing and running a sim or any game. Some of these were:

1. Install outside of your program files on c drive because windows does strange things to that directory and subfolders.
  2. Install the entirety of the simulator on the same drive. If certain parts of the sim are located on another drive, you will get frameloss and stutters because of ineffective file location and transportation.
  3. Install the sim on an SSD for optimization.

So, I must say, even now I am not really sure where everything related to MSFS is located on my machine. I have 3 SSD and 1 MHD. My C drive is on an SSD and my custom location of MSFS is on my D drive - both of which are SSD. But still, I have this gnawing feeling that the sim is running processes that requires runtime of both SSDs. It might not be so, but if that is the case, then might it perhaps be better to install MSFS to the default location on C drive?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

This may or may not help you but it might, In what I have found to be a convulated file structure. 

DM  for link , Depending on where you bought MSFS , MS store / Steam, It will be different for each.

I think that people are getting several things confused here, re: MSFS possibly installing itself on drives where it shouldn't, and also (and in particular) about the Windowsapps folder on C:\

I got the Game Pass version and the game installed as I directed it on my gaming SSD, which is K:\

The game (the installer/launcher, as well as the content) are NOT on C:\Program Files\WindowsApps <---- which is the default folder for WindowsApps.

It only appears so. Instead, there are links/junctions in it which are pointing to the actual install, which in my case is K:\WindowsApps.

(Saying, MSFS made a copy of WindowsApps on the SSD, and the OS is pointing to it)

I don't see any parts of the game on drives where it shouldn't be, but I see links/junctions pointing to the game on SSD. The FlightSim folder in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is a junction that in reality is pointing to the SSD. With special tools (WizTree etc.) one can see where the game really is.

** Some people, here and elsewhere, are "recommending" taking ownership of the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder "to see files".

DON'T!

I once messed with permissions on this folder, and it will absolutely hose all your apps in the best case and your Windows install in the worst. (Getting original Windows permissions back is a nightmare, there are only two tools I know of which are capable to do this). It is also pointless to take ownership of the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder because as already mentioned, THE GAME IS NOT IN THERE if installed elsewhere, there is only links in there.

Whether changing permissions/ownership of the WindowsApps folder *copy* on the SSD (where the game has installed itself) would break the game, I do not know. But it's not just a permission issue to get "access to the FlightSimulator. exe", eg. for AV programs and similar.

The thing is that the sim is also using an encrypted file system/folder, with some saying that the files "don' t really physically exist as they appear" but that they are mounted on a virtual, non-accessible file system. This would mean one can play with permissions until blue in the face, it won't work.

For example I can change ownership/permission of this folder to see the files, but they still can't be read or modified.

HOWEVER, you don't need to as all actual content, the 90GB game data with "Official" and "Community" content are accessible like normal. There are only a few cases where one might need access to the actual *.exe, for whatever reasons.

Even if in theory it would be possible to somehow turn the game install into a normal game install with all files accessible, I'd bet it would break all kinds of things such as DRM.

TLDR: If you tell the game to install on your SSD drive, which say is K:\, and you also specify that your game packages should be on SSD, eg. K:\MSF Packages (like I did), the game should absolutely be on your SSD and not somewhere else, even if it may not appear so.Don't let filenames/hardlinks/junctions confuse you.

Edited by flexy123
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, flexy123 said:

I think that people are getting several things confused here, re: MSFS possibly installing itself on drives where it shouldn't, and also (and in particular) about the Windowsapps folder on C:\

I got the Game Pass version and the game installed as I directed it on my gaming SSD, which is K:\

To your point -- I went into Windows Settings, System, Storage, "Change Where New Content is Saved".

And I only see c:\ and d:\  -- yet I also have a nice big E: SSD.

What if I want the sim on E: ?

Will it download to d: which is where Apps are specified to be saved, but then allow me to actually install it to E: ?

Why can't I choose E: directly from the "Change Where New Content is Saved"?  Windows 10 only allows choosing the c or d drive for this?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Glad I am not the only one.

Seems like the only descent installer is the DVD version, that's only sold in Europe.

Wish we could download that instead of this type off install.

I opened a ticket with Zendesk last week, and no response so far.

Would like to have a full offline installer,  so It only downloads the updates etc.

I would be wary about purchasing through steam , I had FSX and DCS World through steam and some 3rd party add-ons are not compatible with steam version especially DCS world .I had to move my install from steam .Might not be the case with MSFS but I personally wouldn't buy it through steam ,just in case ...........

Just bought it in DVD version, after having asked for a refund … It saved my €10,00 for the Std version, and the Premium Deluxe DVD version costed "only" €103,00 ( that was on a promotional sale valid until August 31 )..,

Looking forward for the box to arrive. Good I still have an external DVD unit 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

15 hours ago, Mace said:

To your point -- I went into Windows Settings, System, Storage, "Change Where New Content is Saved".

And I only see c:\ and d:\  -- yet I also have a nice big E: SSD.

What if I want the sim on E: ?

Will it download to d: which is where Apps are specified to be saved, but then allow me to actually install it to E: ?

Why can't I choose E: directly from the "Change Where New Content is Saved"?  Windows 10 only allows choosing the c or d drive for this?

I never used this setting you are mentioning there. I just looked, even if I would for some reason need these settings, it does show my SSD K:\     <-- is it possible that your SSD has no Volume created on it yet? (Eg it is not formatted?)

Anyway, this is what I did, and the question of the sim installing somewhere I don't want to never even came up:

I have the Xbox PC Game pass (BETA) app for PC, which is required. I purchased the game pass. I logged out from that Xbox PC app and back in, and now Flight Sim in the app offered the option "Install".

I clicked on the install button, and I don't remember the exact wording, but it asked me where I wanted the sim installed.I specified my SSD, which (Volume name) is K:\  Make sure that the drive/SSD you install has 150GB (AFAIK) free space.

If your SSD is new and just installed (?), you need to format it first as this creates a Volume name. (Eg. C:, D, whatever). Otherwise a drive isn't visible in Windows.

>Will it download to d: which is where Apps are specified to be saved, but then allow me to actually install it to E: ?

Even if it would d/l to D:\  it would just download about 900MB (the installer and the exe) on D:\, plus it will ask you where you want to install the packages (the 90GB). Even if the installer app would have downloaded/installed on D:\ there should also be a way afterwards to move the app to another location.

Edited by flexy123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flexy123 said:

I never used this setting you are mentioning there. I just looked, even if I would for some reason need these settings, it does show my SSD K:\     <-- is it possible that your SSD has no Volume created on it yet? (Eg it is not formatted?)

>Will it download to d: which is where Apps are specified to be saved, but then allow me to actually install it to E: ?

Even if it would d/l to D:\  it would just download about 900MB (the installer and the exe) on D:\, plus it will ask you where you want to install the packages (the 90GB). Even if the installer app would have downloaded/installed on D:\ there should also be a way afterwards to move the app to another location.

my E: drive is not new (well it's a few months old) so yes it is formatted.  It already has some stuff on it and it shows in the Windows disk management console snap-in tool.  I guess their App settings only allow C and D drives.

I think you're right about that, it may download to the D drive but then allow me to INSTALL to the E drive.  Thanks for the info!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I installed selecting my D drive and I now have the following folders added / changed:

D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2341396985-2659671921-2183058994-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\<several_folders_here>

D:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ I'm unable to see the contents as I don't have the required FS permissions. (I assume the game executable is here).

C:\Program Files|WindowsApps\ was changed at the same time but I can't browse that either.

D:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps An empty folder

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\XBoxLive (from its name I doubt this relates specifically to FS2020)

%localappdata%\FlightSimulator

%localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ More FS2020 stuff in here

I have the MS Store (i.e. not Steam) version of Standard.  There are probably more locations I've missed.

It would be nice to have a locked thread where this type of info is collated.

Does anyone know if things will break if I take ownership and change the permissions of the WindowsApps folder?

Edited by Hippo

I spent several days restoring my apps and even a Windows repair install didn't get my apps back.

Only short before an entirely new Windows install I was able to restore my apps and MSFS, more or less by coincedence.

DO NOT, EVER mess with the WindowsApps folder.Trust me.

There is no "kosher" way to get to the "folder" of MSFS with the store version, and even if you can (with permission hacks) it's pointless as the filesystem is virtual/encrypted and you cannot edit, not even actually read the files. Saying the files "appear" in this folder but in reality they are on a hidden encrypted volume.

Start MSFS the recommended way, eg. with the Icon for the app.

The only folder where it's making sense that you want to access it is the package folder (where the content is), which is usually

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

However this can vary, ie. if you install somewhere else. Find your Package folder in MSFS ---> start up Developer mode ---> Tools -> "Virtual filesystem and then check the "Watched Bases", this shows you where you Package folder with the Community/Official etc. folders is.

Edited by flexy123