Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

POINTING LASERS AT AIRCRAFT

Guest beana51

In an effort to stop that lunacy,the House has passed a bill that may help to prevent this. A $250.000 fine,and up to 5yrs in prison can be imposed.These lasers can cause, temporally blinded pilots,and permanent eye damage.AOPA, reports over 400 laser incidents since 1990. I have seen some ,pointing lasers at cars,trucks,and busses.Often from the overpasses on our highway systems.As in the air,so too on the ground it is dangerous. The FAA,has established a reporting system for these incident's. Wondering if any one here has had that experience? VIN

"Wondering if any one here has had that experience?"Curious about that myself. I'd love to see the same punishment handed out to fools who drive with their high beams on all the time, and fools who drive with cell phones glued to their ears, and those who drive with 80 proof in their bloodstream :)Back on topic, I have found myself blinded by the supermarket scanners--so I can't even imagine what getting zapped by one of these newfangled lasers kids can pick up as toys is like.-John

Guest beana51

Sorry I do this John,BUT, "I REMEMBER" My left hand on the wheel,elbow out on the car door sill, smoking,a six pack at hand,twisting knobs,the radio of course,waving to friends,checking my looks,and combing my "DA" hair in the rear view mirror with the big red dice hanging off of it,and adjusting my "PEG PANTS"The wheel had a knob on it for power steering.My right hand/arm,was around a pretty girl.There were no seat belts,the only restraint was the girl her self What I don't remember was how the heck did I shift that thing. Then I remembered,I would ask the girl to shift,and my dumb foot would work the clutch. Teamwork!!The shift stick came from the floor,with an other big knob for a handle,usually a chrome skull.Oh yes, as usual, my motor mouth was going all the time. I guess some of us were extremely ambidextrous. Of course the knees helped steer also. That when the goings got , "Real Well!" All this while moving along at a good clip! An octopus had nothing on me.The dumb feet had other things to do,accelerator,clutch,and brake. However ,I did chew gum also! Trouble is I can still do it!!,chewing gum, that is. "CHRISTMAS CHEERS TO YA!":-beerchug VIN

The thing with cell phones is that most people, for what ever reason, stare at the microphones on them. I don't get it. I've driven while talking on my phone with no problem, but I look out the road and I don't let myself stare into that microphone like I see half of them doing, even walking in the mall. It'd be like me in the plane coming into land going cross-eyed trying to look at the mic muff while I repeated the landing clearance. Do I need to visually check that the mic is near my mouth even though I can feel it gently brushing the hair on my lip? :-lol----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Philip Olson

No, I have not had a laser pointed at me but a friend of mine has. He was driving down a highway at night, family in the car when a beam came from an overpass and blinded him temporarily. He said that he was barely able to bring the car to a safe stop, almost collided with another car. He says that beam pretty much took all of his sight away in an instant, thankfully he remained calm or things could have been much worse. To my knowledge they never caught the moron who did this. I think it is a wonderful thing to make this a more serious crime as the danger here is tremendous. If I ever see someone do this the fine and jail time is going to be the least of their problems. Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest beana51

Thanks for your comments Phil.Not unlike dropping stones ,or shooting BB guns from over passes,this is dangerous.Often done by the mindless. More so,when aimed at the cockpits of aircraft.This pointing tool,begs to be used in a negative way.Most modern shoot em up movies,or video games ,show the red beam of light,as precursors to a bullet between the eyes. I use that technology to sight in my hunting rifles.A great tool with many other applications. I question the intensity of the beam however.I wonder if the range of that beam of light can be curtailed for pointer use. Certainly this proves that its a potential weapon ,not only as an aimer,but in fact as a disabler.It could be effective. Nothing will happen,until something does happen,attributed to these actions. "MERRY CHRISTMAS" VIN

For a while I was hearing several airline pilots telling the controllers here in Phoenix that they had a laser pointed at them. I got the impression they were very bright, like those large green lasers, not the cheap little pointers you get at the drug store. One even did it to a police helicopter, as I heard the two police choppers talking about it on 123.025.Haven't really heard much lately though.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired