Sign in to follow this  
antonvs

My fears for the future

16 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I've seen a lot of people now run into UWP's insane workings, just as I predicted. Locked folders, problem moving content, it's placing random folders on multiple drives making it a confusing spectacle for some. However, this only goes for the core files and the launcher itself, which is a small part of the game. Once people have come to terms with UWP, have gotten over the slow and frozen downloads due to overloaded CDNs, plus worked out the various errors that you see in new games, it should be smooth(er) sailing.

The actual sim content, which is what you place and download in the launcher, is not UWP and it comes in a sensible package formatting, that separates official and third party content, plus all content have their own little ecosystem, so you don't have to deal with all the file overriding and dropping into a huge, convoluted main folder of a billion files. It actually looks to be a really pleasant approach in terms of modding and installing third party content, plus its own internal package manager for everything.

So regardless of the early teething issues, it looks like we're in for a much, much better user experience for the actual content itself. 

Your comments make sense and are comforting. I think the biggest issue is that in launching this great product (no doubt in my mind about that) is that no solid guidance has been given. A good example of this is that during installation, so many have stumbled over the “Blue line” of progress taking up maybe 1% of the screen real estate, great time to have placed more information about the process and what to do if/when hurdles appeared.

I have a feeling that so many folk aborted when all the had to do was wait. My install appeared to freeze but infact it was just stalling at certain points and eventually sped up again towards the end.

Edited by antonvs

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

MS STORE install was fast(under 1hr) and stable for me on an external Samsung T5 SSD.....Microsoft launch of Flight Simulator made 2020 great again😁 

Edited by Martin Byrde

27 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

The installation and the hidden files and folders is the reason not to buy it in the MS store.

Always prefer a Steam solution...

I wanted to buy from the Steam, but I got discouraged by many bad reviews that have emerged today on the steam and opted for Microsoft. Now I dont know what I should do.

9 minutes ago, Martin Byrde said:

MS STORE install was fast(under 1hr) and stable for me on an external Samsung T5 SSD.....Microsoft launch of Flight Simulator made 2020 great again😁 

And on that score, I want to agree with you. But I think there are lucky installers and unlucky ones, depending on one’s options. For me the install went straight forward (just lengthy after 12 hours download) but in my case the problem has been that I was not lucky enough to have controls covered in the install. Namely Saitek X-55 Rhino stick and throttles. And after four hours of experimenting I have been able to get all the main control functions set up but still many I have not. The set up process is cleaver but not too intuitive and would be so much easier if there were more instructions. It is a big let down that this support has been overlooked and for this I’m surprised as we are not dealing with a company that rhymes with karen r do. 

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

56 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

that is that

now to real business;  do anybody have a clue how to save a flight and load it at next sim start up ?

Go to your log book, find the flight, choose FLY AGAIN

Edited by joec63
  • Like 1

Semper Fi 

I have not yet installed MSFS2020:  First, I will wait a few weeks for any major or minor bugs to be discovered.  Secondly,  I'm going to purchase a new, almost "state of the art" PC.  I don't think my current rig will quite cut it.  So I'm checking-out everyone's setup right now to see which ones seem optimum to run this monster of the midway...

But here's my simple suggestion to locate all the installed 2020 files:  Do a search "BY THE DATE" of installation - it will indicate all files new or modified for that date... 

And, I think I'll go with a STEAM install - That's were I ran FSX from the very beginning - very few hassles...

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Had no issues at all installing it on the drive I wanted, works perfectly...

like wise, very easy.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Where are the cfg's if I want to tweak them? Here:

DRIVELETTERHERE:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2314696840-3529547494-3859088855-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Where do I put addons at?

DRIVELETTERHERE:\Wherever you put FS during the launcher setup portion of the install\Community

There, no more worries.

• Like 1

Yoda once said that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering.

Don't be scared. It's just a piece of software after all. 🙂

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

What should I tell you? That I was able to tell MSFS the drive and folder I wanted to install to when running the setup the first time?

Yeah I tried and failed.You're not giving any specifics. I aimed the install at my new drive and it failed to install. Sounds like you're a magician.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I purchased the Steam version and will have space on my SSD c:\ drive with about 90 GB to spare as I am running P3Dv5 on the Same drive as well. I never Have used the Steam version of FSX, so my concern now is, whether Steam will allow me to install Addons on another drive (d:\)  to save as I currently do with P3Dv5. Is the file structure in MSFS2020 traditionally the same as previous sims where there is a Scenery Library that allows us to do this.

Regards

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

This is the new world. You're not just supposed to head into your executable install folder and start jamming on config files in Notepad. People need to start thinking differently.

• The Windows Store install is very reasonable. The part of the sim that it installs is just the executable portion, not the actual game, aircraft, and scenery packages. There is zero reason to care where that goes, from a performance perspective. That data is not paged in and out during flight. Put it wherever the default Store install path is.
  • If you truly feel the need to change the drive it resides on, head to Apps & Features in Settings in Win 10, find Microsoft Flight Simulator, and click Move. There you can change the drive it resides on. The Store will still manage the specific folder.
  • When you actually launch the game for the first time, then you will be prompted to download the game packages. You can put those in any place on your machine with zero limitations. This part is no different whether you're on Steam or the Store. Put those on your best SSD or M.2 NVMe disk. The structure of those folder is somewhat similar to the old FSX folders, at least once you get into each package folder.

I have almost all my catalog on Steam, and Steam is a great platform, but the Store is plenty nice. Just slightly different, that's all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

This is the new world. You're not just supposed to head into your executable install folder and start jamming on config files in Notepad. People need to start thinking differently.

• The Windows Store install is very reasonable. The part of the sim that it installs is just the executable portion, not the actual game, aircraft, and scenery packages. There is zero reason to care where that goes, from a performance perspective. That data is not paged in and out during flight. Put it wherever the default Store install path is.
  • If you truly feel the need to change the drive it resides on, head to Apps & Features in Settings in Win 10, find Microsoft Flight Simulator, and click Move. There you can change the drive it resides on. The Store will still manage the specific folder.
  • When you actually launch the game for the first time, then you will be prompted to download the game packages. You can put those in any place on your machine with zero limitations. This part is no different whether you're on Steam or the Store. Put those on your best SSD or M.2 NVMe disk. The structure of those folder is somewhat similar to the old FSX folders, at least once you get into each package folder.

I have almost all my catalog on Steam, and Steam is a great platform, but the Store is plenty nice. Just slightly different, that's all.

Pretty much this...the days of editing CFG files are hopefully behind us and manually copy and pasting scenery files over too.

I hope all I need to ever do is open up a package manager to install things and that is it.

One can easily select the drive folder once you install the initial file and launch the sim.

At the bottom of the screen once the sims starts you can select the driver folder of your choice.

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

Sounds like you're a magician.

Not at all, just before the DL started, I had to click through four points of a pre-install menue. There, the installation path is visible and can be changed by clicking on it. The explorer opens and you can select whatever drive and folder you want. Only issue: the first time I clicked on it, the explorer opened in the background and I had to manually switch windows. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS