Sign in to follow this  
Jester82

Legacy Aircraft in FS2020

Hi all

I have asked in a few places but dont seem to get any response so I thought I would start a new topic. In the interview with Asobo, they mentioned it is "possible" for some legacy FSX aircraft to work in the new sim and it will be simply drag and drop. 

I want to try out some of my FSX sailplanes to see how well FS2020 simulates thermals / rising air and ridge lift etc. But I cannot seem to find where they would be drag and dropped too. I found the Microsoft.FlightSimulator folder within the Program Files/WindowsApps folder but there are no folders that seem to be where you could do it. I was expecting a different layout, so not exactly Sim Object/Airplanes like in FSX, but something at least similar. 

Has anyone tried adding legacy aircraft or does anyone have any ideas. I'm loving the new sim so far but as I am predominately focused on sailplanes it would be nice to give it a try.

Thanks.

Brett

• Upvote 1

Good question. It could be though, that legacy mode just uses the old flight model on new planes (the old flight model files are still in use, which caused some confusion).

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

9 minutes ago, Jester82 said:

Hi all

I have asked in a few places but dont seem to get any response so I thought I would start a new topic. In the interview with Asobo, they mentioned it is "possible" for some legacy FSX aircraft to work in the new sim and it will be simply drag and drop. 

I want to try out some of my FSX sailplanes to see how well FS2020 simulates thermals / rising air and ridge lift etc. But I cannot seem to find where they would be drag and dropped too. I found the Microsoft.FlightSimulator folder within the Program Files/WindowsApps folder but there are no folders that seem to be where you could do it. I was expecting a different layout, so not exactly Sim Object/Airplanes like in FSX, but something at least similar. 

Has anyone tried adding legacy aircraft or does anyone have any ideas. I'm loving the new sim so far but as I am predominately focused on sailplanes it would be nice to give it a try.

Thanks.

Brett

Sadly there's some more to it now. FSX planes can AND will work in MSFS but there is a good bit of work to get them recognizable and functional in the sim.

And again, don't worry about the WindowsApps folder. Literally nothing in there to mess with. Addons go into the Community folder which is wherever you chose to install FS during the launcher portion of setup.

Edited by trainplane3
  • Like 1

Don't want to hijack this thread, but does this work for sceneries as well?

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Just now, d.tsakiris said:

Don't want to hijack this thread, but does this work for sceneries as well?

Sceneries will also go into the Community folder but I haven't messed with that.

Okay, thank you for your reply.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Thanks for the quick replies. I need to try work out where the Community folder is, took me an hour just to find the WindowsApp folder, lol.

It will be good if someone who has been able to do it can post some instructions. I was disappointed to hear there were no sailplanes for the launch so Im really keen to try get this working.

Thanks guys.

I hope someone will start dabbling with importing some addons.  The current planes' models are in xml.  Old FSX/P3D was .mdl.  I think if you can decompile the mdl and edit, recompile to xml it may work.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So apparently it wont be as easy as drag and drop, it will require some work in the SDK. Im going to give it a shot but I have no experience with the SDK so it may take some time. 

If anyone can contribute to the thread then please do. I think there are thousands of people out there hoping this will work. 

15 hours ago, Jester82 said:

I want to try out some of my FSX sailplanes to see how well FS2020 simulates thermals / rising air and ridge lift etc.

Brett

I heard sailplanes will not work yet since they have not worked out thermals.

So, are there any references one could recommend on the FS2020 SDK and what parts of custom FSX models would need to be used? 

I've got a copy of an FSX plane that I'd really like to be able to fly in 2020, but it also included a large amount of external scripting for some of the advanced features, too, so I'm not even, off the cuff, sure where to begin. I'd assume it would be by identifying the core FSX modules. 

yep heres the rundown on the usual location of the community folder 

C:\Users\your-name-here\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Do a google search for MSFS Legacy Importer, which comes with good documentation on the process.  You might have some success importing some aircraft, but it's not as good as we had hoped.

Good luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

Do a google search for MSFS Legacy Importer, which comes with good documentation on the process.  You might have some success importing some aircraft, but it's not as good as we had hoped.

Good luck.

Hook

Any idea if it works for the Embraer P100 and P300?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

With the news from PMDG, imports may become more popular...and in truth I only fly imports.

There is a showcase thread on the official forum https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910/506
and a discord channel for the serious(ly crazy)...

FSX native aircraft with 3D gauges work best and the simpler the better, you might get the Embraers to function but not well.

I'm flying Lancasters, Spitfires, C46s, Islanders and the like.

Cheers
keith

• Like 1