Sign in to follow this  
Guest contaegious

WSSS Singapore Airport third runway?.

hi alldoes anyone know whether Changi AP is planning on building a third runway? if so when is it scheduled to be built and also any links to this?thanks.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Quote:"The airport currently has two parallel runways, 02L/20R and 02C/20C. 02L/20R was completed and opened in 1981 as part of the airport's first phase. 02C/20C, built completely on reclaimed land, was opened together with phase 2.A new parallel runway 02R/20L was built 1.8 km to the east of 02C/20C, currently used only for Republic of Singapore Air Force aircraft as part of Changi Airbase (East). The new runway is expected to be extended and eventually be turned into a third runway for the airport in its future expansion plans"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport

thanksbut some of the diagrams state that the C runway as 02R?

Guest Andrew1981

>thanks>>but some of the diagrams state that the C runway as 02R?02C/20C was called "02R/20L" till early 2005 when it was renamed into it's current name : 02C/20C . Still many Airport charts haven't been updated to it's current naming. For the Charts go to :http://appserver2.caas.gov.sg/CAASApp/Aip/...p?ccode=AD-WSSS

Guest contaegious

Hey clayton.May I just say, I am happy to see that someone is interested in affairs in such a random country ;). I use to live in Singapore, and now live in Malaysia.What they are doing in Singapore is actually building a third terminal as well as a third runway. If you have google earth, make your way to the east coast of Singapore. You will see the airport.Now the funny thing is, the third terminal (being built on the left side of the main road) will share the already built runway for Terminal 2 along with the Cargo hangar. Terminal 1 is getting a second runway built parralel to the first one and that will be shared with Terminal 1 & 2; in order to ease traffic problems with the runway being shared between Terminal 2 & 3 and the cargo hangar.Hope I have helped. Below is a screen cap of what I am talking about.http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/571/untitled25da.jpgPS. The giant empty space next to the new runway is expected land to keep in case they want to build another cargo area, new parking apron for planes and/or an air-to-sea cargo station (thats what the small pier like things may develop into).Hope I have been of some help. I know this exactly didn't focus so much on the coding of the runway, but at least showed you the forming of the third runway :D.

wow amazingthanks for this information,you know last time i was in transit at WSSS to Mumbai in Nov of 2004 and i didnt see this so has this construction commenced since then?

I worked in Singapore in the 1990s and was always impressed by the long-term planning, for example the Marina South undergound MRT station that then accessed an area of reclaimed land that was still settling and consolidating.

Guest contaegious

yes, it has. and btw. this satelitte imgae is about 4 months old (i can tell by the surroundings...)So it might of changed a lot since then