Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Somewhat disappointed - Still a Beta game

3 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

When FSX essentially died, I tried to like P3D, but found it cartoonish so I switched over to X-Plane around v9 and stayed through v10 and v11. In all honesty after experiencing all the good and bad of the last 12 hours, I cannot fathom going back to X-Plane now. It'd be like leaving a small, cramped apartment with no closets for a wind-torn tent in the middle of the desert. Just isn't going to happen. Things will improve. The question now is how long?

Dont forget to add the tent in the desert is on fire too . I agree is just a matter of how long will it take but im 10000% positive that it will get better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Image removed as image is no longer available.

4 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

Agile is very much a likely variable here. Ugh. I hated it when it came on the scene and have hated it ever since.

A year ago when this sim was introduced to the world and details of the initial planned feature set excluded VR, it took a matter of seconds before the weeping an gnashing of teeth started. Same with seasons. Yet here we are a year later and one of the first post-release updates planned is VR support. That’s Agile at work. 

• Upvote 2

Chris

8 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

The marketing has been top notch.

Have you not seen the YouTube reviews where the reviewer gets a Honeycomb yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals etc etc to "help them review"? (one was posted yesterday here, for example). At any rate, it's hardly a secret that major studios influence reviewers at times to assist with their marketing campaigns.

Secondly, the alpha test was very successful marketing. A group of people felt they had a special secret, and kept hinting all year that MSFS was going to be the One Sim to Rule Them All. It's made some of the Avsim forums incredibly annoying for the past 12 months, but it's good use of human psychology!

Two days ago, people here were becoming enraged when you mentioned that keeping more than one sim made sense, and that P3D and X-Plane were not dead. MSFS seemed to become a religion for some.

Now, we see the reality. What is this reality? Well, it's a really interesting new approach to scenery generation, and the graphics overall are top-notch. As a sightseeing sim, it's first class. I've been having a heap of fun with it in the past 24 hours+, but I'm taking it for what it is. I'm also not going to being deleting X-Plane or P3D v5 any time soon (which is, I think, a much less controversial suggestion than it was 2 days back!)

And im sure by the time FS2020 gets as much user input as Xplane and P3D v5 has today it will be at a complete new level . 

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

What ground services does P3Dv5 have that you don't have to shell out $30 for an add-on to get? None except FSX's original pushback? Yet you are mad that they made it easy to request ground services via the ATC interface? Come on. This is silly. 

Well it is not. 

They implemented it, but they used an odd method the way they did. Why not a normal menu for it and combined possibillties. Not more functionallity but better packaged and nicer combined. That is what I am laughing about. 

I don´t compare them because they are two different sims. But I am having my opinion of how some things have been implemented. That´s all and not silly at all. 

Everyone has his rights to make up his mind and share it here. Or? 

The window they used is a ATC window and ground handling has nothing to do with atc.....you now get my point? 

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, teenflon5 said:

After a day of playing FS2020 I, along with what looks like others, still feel this is very much a beta game. As someone who has been playing flight sim for 20 years I dont really see how so many fundamental things have been missed. A few key items from me;

• Autopilot simply doesnt work in any aircraft

I disagree, my first flight this morning was in the Cessna Citation Longitude from EGLC to LOWI, I had absolutely no autopilot issues, I was even able to select a proper STAR on approach, which the aircraft followed correctly, see my screenshots here:

• Like 3

I don't regret purchasing it as I expected it to be a work in progress but I wish I'd bought the basic package & not Premium Deluxe. I like to fly on Vatsim & the airliners are nowhere near flyable on that platform at the moment. I'll carry on with my preferred sim at the moment and come back to it in a few months when hopefully it will have improved significantly and PMDG etc. get involved. Potentially it's a great basis for an excellent product but needs a lot of work in the meantime. Just my opinion of course!

Same for saving a 787 flight from eddf to omdb and loading the saved flight. Your flight will load but the flightplan in your FMC is gone. FMC is empty. That should not be in this way. It is bad implemented. So for now I am having a sim and can´t even properly save flight to finish them later.......I don´t like such products which seem rushed out and core functions are not working proper.

I have LOTS of them........I saw and reported them as a Alplha, Beta and now as a customer......far beyond ready.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

15 minutes ago, wim123 said:

am i the only one who is really happy with it?? funny.

Nope. I'm happy with it. I think it is great in spite of the problems it has.

But then again this is precisely what I expected it to be, and I said so even before I got my hands on it too; the gist of which was: it'll be good and a step forward, but if anyone thinks if will be all things to all people and every other flight sim will be rendered redundant on the 18th, then they'd better reel in their expectations.

This is why I did not delete P3D V5, but did get a new SSD for the new sim. It's potentially the future, but the future by definition, is not right now.

If it gets an A2A DC-3, then I might be tempted to delete P3D. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

And im sure by the time FS2020 gets as much user input as Xplane and P3D v5 has today it will be at a complete new level . 

Well, by the time MSFS has as much input as X-plane - released in 1995 - we will be in the year 2045! 

It's more relevant to judge what we have today - three main civil sims, plus a couple of others on the edges. Whilst MSFS will undoubtedly improve with time 1. the other sims will also improve and 2. we can't fly any of those future sims now.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As someone already pointed out, this is an agile product. The days of complete or finished products are behind us. Release a Minimal Viable Product and then complete over time. This is day one of 3,650 days. Not even 1%. 

I would like to revisit all of this in about 2-5 years and see how everyone thinks. I would imagine that this platform will be a much better experience than it is now.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

16 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

but I'm taking it for what it is. I'm also not going to being deleting X-Plane or P3D v5 any time soon (which is, I think, a much less controversial suggestion than it was 2 days back!)

No need to do that Rob I will have P3Dv5 for some time to come installed 🙂 Will use several simulators it depends on the mood 🙂

• Like 1

André

Just now, awf said:

No need to do that Rob I will have P3Dv5 for some time to come installed 🙂 Will use several simulators it depends on the mood 🙂

Yes, that's common sense, but you would likely have been shot for admitting that around here a day or two ago!

• Like 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

11 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Well it is not. 

They implemented it, but they used an odd method the way they did. Why not a normal menu for it and combined possibillties. Not more functionallity but better packaged and nicer combined. That is what I am laughing about. 

I don´t compare them because they are two different sims. But I am having my opinion of how some things have been implemented. That´s all and not silly at all. 

Everyone has his rights to make up his mind and share it here. Or? 

The window they used is a ATC window and ground handling has nothing to do with atc.....you now get my point? 

Marcus

Because in real life, you don't "request" a catering truck or the jetway to be connected. These are things that are done by other people without input from the pilot in almost all cases. But in a sim, you have to do it all and having this stuff easily accessible as part of the beginning and ending of the ATC flow makes a lot of sense from a usability standpoint. Having yet another separate window doesn't really make it anymore realistic. It just adds another UI to deal with. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Well, by the time MSFS has as much input as X-plane - released in 1995 - we will be in the year 2045! 

It's more relevant to judge what we have today - three main civil sims, plus a couple of others on the edges. Whilst MSFS will undoubtedly improve with time 1. the other sims will also improve and 2. we can't fly any of those future sims now.

You knew exactly what i was trying to say . No need to go back to 1995 or wait till 2045 . I personally say give it a year from today and it will be another story.  And this is The opinion from someone who wants to see this being successful ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

If you think FSX's launch wasn't this bad, you have a bad memory. The game was essentially unplayable for the first several months due to performance issues and crashes. It took years before people could even turn basic settings to high. And the default planes were nowhere near the fidelity MSFS has. 

Not quite. I do remember getting 5 frames per second on FSX's first launch. And you are right, it had to wait until CPUs and graphics cards caught up. But it did have a replay, you could plan flights and see navaids, and the B737 wasn't too bad for its time. The smaller aircraft have exactly the same issues as now - absurdly unstable in pitch and not very good flight models, but there was a lot to very easily tweak and all of that was sorted quite quickly by freeware tweakers and 3rd parties.

The big problem with this sim is that marketing skills, and the use of largely word not allowed gamers as content admirers with almost no discernment or critical faculties, has driven the hype on this sim to ludicrous heights. And because everyone WANTS it to be wonderful (including me) we arrive at a seminal example of group think, where the slightest criticism is met with disdain or disapproval, as though Asobo was some charity bent on some altruistic intent.

NDA's which block honest assessments by some quite capable people are a bad idea. NDAs originated through the desire to protect genuine innovation or methodologies that needed to be protected. But the methodologies here have been fully publicised, except that some of them turned out to be not quite so revolutionary.

It will mostly be ironed out in time, but it is just another example of marketing overwhelming objective observation.

• Like 8

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page