Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Somewhat disappointed - Still a Beta game

Just now, snglecoil said:

Well, if it is working for at least one customer, it's working better than live weather included with P3D. 

Lmao

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

I haven't had a P3D CTD in over a month

How very incredible that a mature product only gets a CTD every few months. 

• Like 2

When I flew over my house it was scattered clouds, and they were incorrectly in different locations. Then I realized I still had my pc clock set to Kiribati 😉

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

OMG. Comparing one's business to Microsoft. Seriously ?

Their aims are very different to a typical business. Having been an Accountant for over 25 years, I see it as the flagship for their newly branded Games Pass.

The ongoing costs of development and bandwidth for streaming 1GB per hour per user, will only just be covered by the commission they earn from the marketplaces.

It may well be a loss leader: unfortunately this implies that their main focus is on the Xbox console platform... which may explain the gaudy, arcadey presentation, together with the (arguably) obvious fact that - at least currently - it is more 'scenery simulator', than flight simulator.

No I didn't compare one with the other. I answered a specific question addressed to me.

• Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

6 minutes ago, Slides said:

How very incredible that a mature product only gets a CTD every few months. 

Nice sarcasm attempt, but I was responding to whoever (?you, i forget) was sledging P3D as though the sim crashes all the time. I'm happy enough with MSFS, but it's less stable than P3D v5 right now.

I haven't seen any reports of long e.g. across the pond type flights. I tried a 12-hour 747 mission, but only got an hour in before the sim quit. Also, if anyone tries this and decides to speed up the sim, prepare for fugoids!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

32 minutes ago, cepact said:

the sim is a million times better than default P3d/FSX/X-Plane, in literally every aspect

Massive "million times" hyperbole aside, there's a bunch of things P3D and X-Plane do better than MSFS, so it's not "literally every aspect".

How much better is MSFS than X-Plane and P3D at VR, for example? Answer: if you got "a million times", your math is wrong! And VR is not a minor issue, it' ranks as the most important feature of a flightsim for many in 2020, including me.

But default sim to default sim comparisons are not relevant anyway for the majority of Avsim users. In particular, P3D is designed as a base on which addons can be placed. It would be a very odd decision to fly default P3D, that's not how the product is designed (LM builds the core, whilst encouraging other devs to provide the extra pieces). 

• Like 3

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

From a price to price point of view you can compare the base. And MSFS wins out of the gate despite the bugs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, buzzbee said:

P3D V5 is build on FSX which came out in 2006, which was built on FS 2004 and on and on. 

Often-repeated statement on sim forums, which is technically correct but misleading. Both P3D and MSFS contain some FSX parts. Neither is closely related to FSX any more. MSFS is 64 bit DX 11. P3D is 64 bit DX 12. Both very different from 32 bit DX9 FSX from 14 years ago.

Oz

2 minutes ago, Slides said:

From a price to price point of view you can compare the base. And MSFS wins out of the gate despite the bugs.

If it makes you happy you can compare them. But I'm not sure that anyone is claiming that default P3D is better for non-VR gaming purposes than default MSFS, so it's a fairly pointless task. 

Oz

Well for me personally, it was clear that this would not be anywhere near of being a finished piece of software. why? well, by the time the release date was anounced ( which was only a couple of weeks ago btw ), FS was still in Alpha, and the Beta phase was only two weeks or so. How can anyone expect an alpha build to get rid of all errors, flaws and everything else that is not working in a matter of weeks? It should not surprise anyone that MSFS in in the state that it is currently in. It was released way to early, simple as that. For my part, I will keep my P3D 4.5 for the time being, but will not stop to tune in to MSFS regularly to see it evolve. I am sure that it will be just great once it's ready. But that is not now.

As for things like reuesting ground services via ATc and the likes, well those are design flaws that are clearly aimed towards casual gamers and not hardcore simmers. Trying to make something easier does not always make it better/good. 

Either way, there is no reason to ditch your well loved sims in which many of us invested way to much money into. And there is no reason to write off MSFS just yet - it has just been released guys. Give it time to mature. Just my 2 cents.

Have a good one everybody. Greetings from EDDS ( which annoyingly is not even in MSFS )

Mike

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I once asked what MSFS does when there are differing seasons (winter / summer) next to each other on the ortho base images.

Here's what it does. 🙂

20aROUB.jpg

iBa7GFF.jpg

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

19 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Nice sarcasm attempt, but I was responding to whoever (?you, i forget) was sledging P3D as though the sim crashes all the time. I'm happy enough with MSFS, but it's less stable than P3D v5 right now.

I haven't seen any reports of long e.g. across the pond type flights. I tried a 12-hour 747 mission, but only got an hour in before the sim quit. Also, if anyone tries this and decides to speed up the sim, prepare for fugoids!

Just completed a 12h 19m flight EGLL-WSSS in the 787. All worked flawlessly. You're comparing a product that has been out for one day against a platform that has been built on for ten years now. OK, I get it...I imagine MSFS would be less stable.

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

Just now, Shug said:

Just completed a 12h 19m flight EGLL-WSSS in the 787. All worked flawlessly. You're comparing a product that has been out for one day against a platform that has been built on for ten years now. OK, I get it...I imagine MSFS would be less stable.

I'm not trying to compare MSFS to anything, I'm responding to other people who are (inaccurately) comparing MSFS to things! 

Oz

Hmm. Don't take this as an attack but apart from the VOR frequency issue, this is a very weird post

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Yeah it'll change the game to 15FPS.

Cool it'll be more like P3D then! I am currently getting consistent 40 FPS on ultra. i'll take a dip in FPS to get PMDG. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1