Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Somewhat disappointed - Still a Beta game

Fantastic visuals, absolutely PLAGUED by stutters.

Removed it from my system. Just can't use it like that. Tried everything short of reinstalling Windows 10 (but did reset it), nothing works.

i7-7700K and 1080Ti.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

I'm not trying to compare MSFS to anything, I'm responding to other people who are (inaccurately) comparing MSFS to things! 

What they're really comparing is their feelings regarding one product over another. With one product most things they expect to work, work. With the other product those things don't. That's entirely understandable and thus will come down to what you value most. If you care most about how well MSFS will brown your pancakes then this would be a colossal waste of money for you. If, on the other hand, you've been going nuts creating ortho scenery for the world and having to deal with the eccentricities of Google Maps images and default Bing images along with learning the complexities of Ortho4XP, etc., MSFS is a mind-blower. It's all just there and it proves that this sort of scope is possible. That's insanely incredible. Google tried to prove that a project like Stadia could work and, so far, has failed. I am, however, glad they made the attempt and I've said many times that Austin over at XP should be doing his best Jessie Owens imitation in high-tailing it over to Google to work out a deal to get Google Earth data underneath X-Plane. I stopped flying because X-Plane just wore me out. It was so disheartening to fly over some of the amazing ortho I generated only to run into default scenery and then hear from the company that they don't see the point in aiming for this as a default. 

Again, that's comparing products, but it's really comparing feelings about the features that mean the most. VR? I've been chasing the VR bug since roughly 1987, and it's always the same story of lots of potential, but ultimately lots of poor user experience. I own an Oculus Quest now and it's pretty impressive, but still has most of the same concerns. However, it DOES hint at what might be possible (again) in a generation just ahead of us. 

• Upvote 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

8 minutes ago, DreamSkywards said:

Fantastic visuals, absolutely PLAGUED by stutters.

Removed it from my system. Just can't use it like that. Tried everything short of reinstalling Windows 10 (but did reset it), nothing works.

i7-7700K and 1080Ti.

You have better hardware than me it seems, in part (i7 8700K with a GTX1070 which seems far more important here) and using the settings the sim preset for me (High everywhere) I haven't seen a stutter yet other than one 10-second one. This is a situation I'd love to get to the bottom of. It's one of those "Hmm" moments QA people love to percolate on. 

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

It is beta, randomly crashes, autopilot is a joke and I was hyped their A320 is more or less 75% of FSLab (how dumb I was) which is I assume max 20%. Anyway, this game is giving us a great zero base, great for VFRs, weak for IFRs, but it'll improve.

i9-9900K@5.0Ghz, MSI RTX3090 Gaming X Trio, 32GB RAM G.Skill-4133-CL17, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme, (1+2+4)TB NVME M.2, 24TB NAS 10Gbit/s, VR HTC Vive Cosmos Elite, 1Gbit/s internet

P3Dv5, Xplane 11, MFS2020, DCS in 4K.

2 minutes ago, Huascar said:

I uninstalled P3D - no regrets.

Well, I hope you don’t like complex airliners, because if you do you’re going to have some regrets when you fire up the MSFS 747/A320!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

If you love VFR - you can uninstall P3D

If you love IFR - you can uninstall FS2020

• Like 1

i9-9900K@5.0Ghz, MSI RTX3090 Gaming X Trio, 32GB RAM G.Skill-4133-CL17, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme, (1+2+4)TB NVME M.2, 24TB NAS 10Gbit/s, VR HTC Vive Cosmos Elite, 1Gbit/s internet

P3Dv5, Xplane 11, MFS2020, DCS in 4K.

9 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

What they're really comparing is their feelings regarding one product over another. With one product most things they expect to work, work. With the other product those things don't. That's entirely understandable and thus will come down to what you value most. If you care most about how well MSFS will brown your pancakes then this would be a colossal waste of money for you. If, on the other hand, you've been going nuts creating ortho scenery for the world and having to deal with the eccentricities of Google Maps images and default Bing images along with learning the complexities of Ortho4XP, etc., MSFS is a mind-blower. It's all just there and it proves that this sort of scope is possible. That's insanely incredible. Google tried to prove that a project like Stadia could work and, so far, has failed. I am, however, glad they made the attempt and I've said many times that Austin over at XP should be doing his best Jessie Owens imitation in high-tailing it over to Google to work out a deal to get Google Earth data underneath X-Plane. I stopped flying because X-Plane just wore me out. It was so disheartening to fly over some of the amazing ortho I generated only to run into default scenery and then hear from the company that they don't see the point in aiming for this as a default. 

Again, that's comparing products, but it's really comparing feelings about the features that mean the most. VR? I've been chasing the VR bug since roughly 1987, and it's always the same story of lots of potential, but ultimately lots of poor user experience. I own an Oculus Quest now and it's pretty impressive, but still has most of the same concerns. However, it DOES hint at what might be possible (again) in a generation just ahead of us. 

- Austin’s attitude to scenery is dumb, but luckily Oscar made Ortho4XP.

- Ortho is easier in MSFS, but it’s often poor quality compared to home brew. The clever thing is what MSFS puts on top of the ortho.

- if you’ve been chasing vr since 1987, you need to get in the game properly, I suspect a rift s might suit you better (though i’ve never tried my quest with flightsim). vR really is a game changer for flight sim, the tech is good now if you set it up well, so you really shouldn’t need to wait for a generation to make it work.

cheers!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

A warning has been issued to one individual who seems to revel in winding people up. It’s been an extremely busy day for all AvSim staff and jokers like that don’t help.

They should now stop. If they don’t then more serious action will follow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hm, somehow it`s good to see there are many negative posts regarding the sim, especially the physics.

A game called Flight Simulator should have it`s highest priority in simulation. Looking forward to the future comments. :Thumbs up.

Edit: This posts about "they will improve it in the future are endless". Way to go.

Edited by BigDee

3 hours ago, sanh said:

You need to install the US English voice pack in Windows like it mentioned on the installation screen.

Just a final update on this in case anyone else has this problem.

It seems that I already had the English (US) language pack installed on my PC but that pack needs to be top of the list of languages you have installed for it to be read by the apps.  So I just moved in above the English (UK) language and problem solved.

Mike

• Upvote 1

What happens when satellite image is obscured by clouds:

XuRcL6S.jpg

• Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

17 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

- Austin’s attitude to scenery is dumb, but luckily Oscar made Ortho4XP.

- Ortho is easier in MSFS, but it’s often poor quality compared to home brew. The clever thing is what MSFS puts on top of the ortho.

- if you’ve been chasing vr since 1987, you need to get in the game properly, I suspect a rift s might suit you better (though i’ve never tried my quest with flightsim). vR really is a game changer for flight sim, the tech is good now if you set it up well, so you really shouldn’t need to wait for a generation to make it work.

The nice thing about Austin is he's approachable. A number of years back I wrote a long (I'm a writer so long is the norm) e-mail on why X-Plane needed a new UI on the front end. Previously when you started it the sim would take forever to load and you'd find yourself in the last plane you flew in at an airport closest to where you finished. In other words, if you finished by just quitting mid-flight you could find your jumbo at a grass field. Perhaps for this flight it's the wrong airplane and the wrong location. So you then had to change those causing another long load. It just was so not optimal. He didn't get it at first so I sent screen shots of how FS did it and WHY this was a better approach. I sent a mock-up of what it could look like in X-Plane. Finally he agreed and the next major version had that UI. Good luck doing that with any MS product. On th down side, he's your typical engineer type. He sees everything through those glasses and, being smarter than most people, he defaults to thinking his way is always best when a good portion of the time it isn't. That's engineers for you. Always a battle.

Agree 100% on MS magic is what's on top, though a major part is also that the ortho is just there for the world without any work on our part. No figuring out odd settings, waiting hours for a server to give you the data, find out it doesn't seem at all right, taking up massive space on your PC,  bogging down the load times of the sim, etc. X-Plane will be doing a major update to the graphics, but if the default tiles are still there, it isn't going to matter to the GA crowd or anyone that loves the ease in FS to get there.

The Quest cuts the cords which, for me is essential. JUST for FS it doesn't really matter, but I do more than FS and am not spending ~$1,000 (all in) just to fly in the sim. Plus there's still the issue of resolution (I still find it too low), everything outside the center view being blurry and, most of all, the challenge of mixing real world with VR world. By that I mean I have the headset on and need to take notes in the real world to jot down my clearance info, or needing to find the right switch on my Alpha yoke or the right control on the physical throttle quadrant. What I see in the Quest is that, finally, major goals are in reach to make it a viable mainstream product that everyone (not just simmers) will want to own. It's a good time for VR, but it hasn't reached the promised land yet.

6 minutes ago, tweekz said:

What happens when satellite image is obscured by clouds

What we really seriously need is an official reporting means to submit all these oddities and for Asobo to have a resource (or likely resources) focused solely on cleaning these up. Like the USS NJ having trees in the middle of its deck and so on. Having that official path would make a lot of people feel better. Now we just feel like we're shouting from the center of the forest to no one. 

• Upvote 3