Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Somewhat disappointed - Still a Beta game

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this is still a beta, and only just. Thankfully I used a gamepass to test it out so I have lost only $1 - I'll come back in 12 months or so and see how it has matured. Meanwhile I'll go back to my P3D and X-plane with ortho for when I need bing scenery

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

9 hours ago, tweekz said:

Who would have thought.

The default A320s takeoff performance is almost perfectly accurate compared to real world performance data:

Interesting. I think the reason some of the planes are overpowered it's because they configured the planes to have a realistic take off performance. But the problem is their ground friction model was wrong (requires too much power to accelerate on ground), so because of that, once airborne the planes are overpowered. 

11 minutes ago, cepact said:

Interesting. I think the reason some of the planes are overpowered it's because they configured the planes to have a realistic take off performance. But the problem is their ground friction model was wrong (requires too much power to accelerate on ground), so because of that, once airborne the planes are overpowered. 

Not necessarily. I just tested one of the available modified engines.cfg files that simply reduced thrust by 18%. I matched the takeoff performance times to 80 knots and to V1 (exactly not off by 1.5 knots like the video) with the modded file. Climbout performance was much better as well as climbing to altitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qnh said:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this is still a beta, and only just. Thankfully I used a gamepass to test it out so I have lost only $1 - I'll come back in 12 months or so and see how it has matured. Meanwhile I'll go back to my P3D and X-plane with ortho for when I need bing scenery

If you have had a short look in the forums the past week, you realize really quickly that you are not the only one - mildly put.

Nevertheless, it is weird. I'm not a casual simmer and I have a XP installation with surely more accurate flight models and ortho scenery. But since I fired up MSFS I don't feel like I wanna fly anything else for now. I thought I would get bored fast without decent jets. But I ain't missing them for now.

It turns out that visuals do actually play a MAJOR role in delivering a realistic flying experience! And you cannot compare ortho imagery to what MSFS does with scenery (lighting, clouds, trees, grass, texture masks, buildings, ...). The flight models (especially C152 + Robin) are good enough to not bother me too much. So except if you are an airline simmer or accurate flight models are the only thing you care about, I think MSFS does already deliver a lot in terms of realism.

I'm really excited by what this sim could beome and contribute by reporting bugs.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

My disappointment is with Bing Maps. In my neck of the world, it's a jigsaw puzzle of mixed seasons, quality, and time-of-day. The "puzzle pieces" that are high quality translate really nicely into scenery, but then all of the sudden I'm seeing snow on the ground in the middle of August, or pictures of clouds painted on the ground, or a serious drop in ground texture resolution, or the double-shadow effect because the aerial photos were taken at sunset... Bing Maps is laughably behind Google and Apple Maps in my area, and it just makes for a sad flying experience.

I'm hoping Microsoft will put some of their $$$ to catch up to the competition. In the meantime, I'm using BM on the web to plan my flight routes for the best visual experience. Sadly this means I'm not doing too much flying around my home county.

I’d contact Microsoft marketing department in particular hardware manipulation department ☺️

try to buy an Xbox controller see what happens,

Edited by iCann

23 hours ago, Donstim said:

Not necessarily. I just tested one of the available modified engines.cfg files that simply reduced thrust by 18%. I matched the takeoff performance times to 80 knots and to V1 (exactly not off by 1.5 knots like the video) with the modded file. Climbout performance was much better as well as climbing to altitude.

Tested again today and found that the takeoff times actually increased (as I had initially expected they would) by the amount of thrust reduction. Must have inadvertently done the first test with the unmodded engines.cfg file.  So, at this point, I guess you can choose a little longer takeoff roll than IRL and more realistic climbout performance, or more realistic takeoff roll and overdone after takeoff climb performance.🤔

On 8/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, bonchie said:

Stop being so sensible. This is the worst sim to ever launch, none of the planes work, it's an arcade game, and it also insulted my wife upon launching. 

Lol this is the first sim I've bought at the launch but have been pleasantly surprised with it.  It at least gives you some help with setting up a flight, took a bit of learning but if you don't want to use the flight computer you can set up an IFR flight right at the world map and it will sync right to the aircraft.

Learned how to use the FMC in the Airbus and besides the ATC bugging out sometimes, I have not had any trouble at all with IFR flights.  The most frequent bug I come across is the altitude clearance but I also don't fly 100% proper so it's not a big deal.  You can even get the SIDs and STARs on the world map.  I find the ILS charts on airnav and the frequencies all match up at least for where I've flown.  And like someone else has mentioned, I have a small notebook where I write down all the points, then input them into the computer and select the ILS.  Even planned a flight where the last point was the G/S without putting in an approach because it was all janky, once I passed the G/S I hit the APPR and caught it just fine, just had to select the right runway on the FMC.

The Cessna Longitude, Daher 900 and A320 Neo's AP all work perfectly fine with ILS approaches

I thought it was pretty cool to have a somewhat functional ATC where you can call for the jetway and baggage.  It also works pretty well with PACX

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 3:58 AM, DreamSkywards said:

Good for you, but I did say I tried almost everything short of reinstalling Windows. You can assume that playing with every settings was one of the most obvious first steps...

Couple things I've noticed about the skipping/chugging

What I noticed the most, and it didn't really increase the FPS more than a few, but turning off live weather and multiplayer caused the skipping to pretty much stop for me.  It'll chug when it's loading new scenery, large cities always take the longest.  Taking off the live stuff pretty much cleared up the skipping

I have also noticed that when you change the graphics settings it doesn't seem to actually change in game, at least for me.  I notice that when I start the sim the settings that load are still my previous settings.  So I get it back to where I want then re load the sim and it gets the graphics where I want.  Not fun waiting for 5 min for the game to load but that's the only work around I've seen.  I had things set on ultra then reduced them down to low during the game and it didn't change anything when I was testing this theory.

Another thing I've done, I have a NVDIA card and in the settings you can change the refresh rate and also lock the FPS for specific programs which has helped, since the VSYNC is broken in the game.

AMD Ryzen 2700X

RTX2080

32 G's DDR4 3000hz

2560x1440

Samsung SSD

Have my screen refresh locked at 100 and the FPS locked at 47 and see minimal stutters.  It drove me nuts looking out the cockpit and seeing the stutters but these things I've done have worked for my rig

I participated in the Alpha testing and noticed little improvement since that time.  Yep, I bit for the whole enchilada but have opted for my $130 refund.  Every problem I reported during testing is still present with the final release.  You'd think MS would have shared their expectations and learnings from FSX and Flight, but it looks as if ASOBA has to learn them all over again.  Like most I'm really impressed with the scenery and weather, but if I were building a flight simulator, the first order of business would be to accurately model the planes... the GAs look like my grandchild's playing Roblox... so disappointed... back to FSX and P3D for a year at least.

bye then, most GA planes fly pretty well. not sure what you are doing.

but ok for some ppl who cannot handle issues, its best to wait a looong time yes.