Sign in to follow this  
mlmcasual

Stutter fix and getting stunning 120fps smooth display at 4K

Just got FS2020 running.  I am running an I9-9900K/2080TI on a 65" Samsung q7 (hdr  tv).  

Out of the box, I set everything to  4K,Ultra, and HDR.  Vsynch off.   and tried a few landing challenges. Seeing this on a modern HDR 4K TV  is photo-real.  

I was getting FPS ranging from 35 to 50.  However I noticed massive FRAME pacing stutter..  where frame to frame could change so drastically it would make it look jerky.

It would be smooth for a few seconds, hit a drop in FPS and that drop would cause a jarring stutter.

So, I set FS 2020 graphics to Vsynch on, and 30 FPS limit. I then turned on my Samsung TV (motion smoothing) which interpolates 30fps to 120fps. and  BEHOLD- now running a constant 30FPS that interpolates to 120FPS with no more jerkiness or drops.

I now see 120FPS looking hyper smooth flights. The TV does an amazing job of interpolating the motion and keeping everything sharp so it REALLY does look like a native 120hz even though it's being updated by FS at 30hz.

If you connect your HDR 4k TV to MS FS.. and do this trick.. even if you have to bump down the graphics settings, the advantage of getting a 120hz with no glitching/hickups is absoutely mindblowing ultra real and will take you to the next level- true REAL TIME looking motion.

I have flown in a small Cessna (centurion) many times and I noticed at this 120hz TV setting, the tiny micro motions from turbulence you see in real life get very accurately portrayed  in MSFS2020. 

Once you see this game at ultra being interpolated up to 120hz (with no stutters whatsoever) you can't unsee it you will be so amazed. If you have ever flown small prop planes in real-life, you know the one thing Flight sims have been missing is being able to portray the small fast changing motion of those fast small eddys that bounce you around. Seeing these small motions now.. and at 4k-ultra is true next level looking.

Worth a try if you can.

Edited by mlmcasual
optimizing
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Yeah I've noticed this when using a TV too. It's due to TV's motion blurring features.

Unfortunately not an option on a PC monitor but still worth a go if you're willing to go down the TV route. 

The stutters most of us are experiencing seem to be a bug and different from what you were experiencing. We are getting 100% or close to CPU usage with GPU usage all over the place, causing stutters. Even when getting 30-40 FPS, it looks like 20. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I installed the game on my SSD and yet all the loading is on my D drive (HHD) its unplayable!!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

The stutters most of us are experiencing seem to be a bug and different from what you were experiencing. We are getting 100% or close to CPU usage with GPU usage all over the place, causing stutters. Even when getting 30-40 FPS, it looks like 20. 

My fix was to set my Tv to 30hz (or 1/2 refresh for 60hz etc).....turn on Vsync and set MSFS limit to 60...not 30, but 60. Very smooth flight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, reignman40 said:

Well said I couldn't understand why I was getting FPS in the 50s and 60s but the game was a stuttering mess when panning around.  Then when I hopped into P3D with a 30FPS lock it was super smooth. Definitely a bug somewhere. 

6 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

My fix was to set my Tv to 30hz (or 1/2 refresh for 60hz etc).....turn on Vsync and set MSFS limit to 60...not 30, but 60. Very smooth flight. 

This was the magic fix for me also. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tangerine said:

Did you set your TV to 30hz on the "Adapter Properties"?? or using NIP for 1/2 refresh??

I set mine through the display properties in Windows 10 settings (Display...advanced)

This can also be done through the nvidia control panel, right click on desktop...although that option is not always available for me.

3 hours ago, PaulFWatts said:

This was the magic fix for me also. Thanks for posting.

Wow, another confirmation....so gad this worked for you and others.

10 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

Interesting, was that on a 4K monitor? I may have to try this!

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

1 minute ago, Peter Z KCLE_EDDN said:

Interesting, was that on a 4K monitor? I may have to try this!

Cheers,

Pete

1080p 60 inch TV

But I have had 4 confirmations from others that it works. Maybe worth a sticky if it works for you.

My bad, it clearly said TV not monitor (smacking my forehead), but I’ll give this a shot for sure later on me 4K monitor.

Cheers, 

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

19 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

1080p 60 inch TV

But I have had 4 confirmations from others that it works. Maybe worth a sticky if it works for you.

What resolution is your TV? I’m having issues with my 50IN TV as well and I am about to just buy a Monitor to solve this problem. But I am going to loose so much window space. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight