Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Why Landmarks

Hi,

what I don't understand is, why do we need additional landmarks addons? Wasn't that a special thing on the new sim, that all that is alread included through the new technology?

My guess, more detailed hand drawn rendering. Like some of the airports are more detailed than others. Some landmarks are the auto created scenery from the Bing mapping. Developers are now improving on that. No way Asobi could possibly hand draw and recreate every landmark in the world. Also my guess, expect a lot of scenery enhancements Such as this, just like you can expect a lot of 3rd party aircraft offerings. 

If you were led to believe that all landmarks of the world (however you define that) would be beautifully modeled, you were misled. Not sure who told you that though. This the most beautiful FS ever by a wide margin. If you want individual cities to be fully rendered with every major building looking as it does in the RW, you'll have to wait for scenery makers to deliver such niceties. And they deserve to be compensated for this fairly laborious task. In the meantime, enjoy what you have. Go to the Pyramids of Gaza, for example.

The Pyramids of Gaza? No wonder they look rough these days. All those mortars and rockets have taken their toll :laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

22 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Hi,

what I don't understand is, why do we need additional landmarks addons? Wasn't that a special thing on the new sim, that all that is alread included through the new technology?

No. The new technology can place buildings generally the right shape, color, and height based on ortho photos. But it can not see the Eiffel tower from a 2D top down image and model that correctly. That has to be hand done or via photogrammetry. 

There are 400 or so photogrammetry cities. These are different than the AI built cities and offer true to life detail. 

27 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Hi,

what I don't understand is, why do we need additional landmarks addons?

Simple answer - because only few dozens of cities are included as 3D scans in the sim. And even in this case they are not really HD when viewed from a closer distance - especially at night. They look amazing from some altitude though.

Edited by DrzewieckiDesign