Sign in to follow this  
hangar

The Cirrus SR22: Any Thoughts/Opinions Yet?

Still haven't purchased. I'm wondering about the quality of the SR22 and the 787 as those are the only 2 planes I care much about in the premium package. Has anyone given much thought to the Sr22 yet? Does it stand out as being really worth having or is it bland as compared to all the single prop offerings? How well does it fly and do side slip approaches in wind?

Well, what can I say? I own the plane in reality and have all the available sim versions, i.e., Carenado SR22 ”GTSX” for P3D and XP, and the newly released TorqueSim SR22 G3 and TN model. The MSFS version isn't anything close to TorqueSim’s in all categories. It really is a ”default” aircraft. The flight dynamics are better than the P3D offering but nothing to write home about. However, it's still fun to fly and I don't regret getting it along with the extra airports of the ”deluxe” package. If you like the SR22, then I highly recommend TorqueSim’s, it still a little ”buggy” but the developers are working hard at ironing them out. 

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

I appreciate your input & time...especially considering that you own & fly one.

Systems and engine aside, could I ask you (only if you have the time, of course) to elaborate on the flight dynamics of where you feel the MSFS plane fails or weakens as compared to either reality or the Torquesim version?

Thanks again!

Edited by hangar
  • Like 1

Anytime, I’m glad to assist. In terms of ground characteristics, the SR22 does not have nose wheel steering, you taxi with differential braking. Although TorqueSim does model this feature, MSFS does not. Compared to Carenado, for both XP and P3D, MSFS does a marginally better job at flight dynamics. The turns ”feel” more realistic, but the flight dynamics are nowhere near the real bird. Stalls are not modeled accurately, and spins are nonexistent (wish it was the case in real life). The ”bump up” you get from extending flaps aren't modeled well either. However, everything I just mentioned, is depicted reasonably well by TorqueSim. Kind regards,

• Like 2

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

I'm not getting the right Garmin screen on the SR22. Anyone else have that issue? 

Eddie
KABQ

On 8/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, hangar said:

I see, it sounds like they did a pretty poor job modeling the behavior from the real aircraft in this case.

Much appreciated.

The mixture control does not seem to work properly. If you reduce it nothing happens at first until it is almost extended at which point the fuel flow drops suddenly. You cannot set fuel flow at some intermediate stage. Also the AP is faulty in many respects. I have given up on this aircraft. On the other hand something like the C172 works fine.

1 hour ago, mad axeman said:

The mixture control does not seem to work properly. If you reduce it nothing happens at first until it is almost extended at which point the fuel flow drops suddenly. You cannot set fuel flow at some intermediate stage. Also the AP is faulty in many respects. I have given up on this aircraft. On the other hand something like the C172 works fine.

The SR22 is fuel injected. So the mixture control should have no effect at all on the engine. 

Eddie
KABQ

I’ve done a few short hops and found it to be fun to fly overall...probably an aircraft I’ll come back to a lot.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The model is beautiful, although it is a mish-mosh between a G2 & G3 version...this probably doesn't matter to 85% of the users.  The sounds, like most of the other MFS planes I've taken up so far, are an incredible replication of the real thing.

As noted by @mad axeman, the mixture in the MFS SR22 only seems to function as an on/off control.  It acts like it has auto-mixture on full-time.  I think the devs may have been confused by the fact that the Cirrii have an altitude-compensating device in the fuel injection servo, but you still need to adjust the mixture for different phases of flight. 

Physics-wise, the drag from flaps is excessive.  In the real thing, you use about ~15% for a stable final approach, but the MFS model needs like 45%.

There is no trim indicator.  The stick should move fore and aft as you adjust the pitch trim, and the trim scale is a decal on the shaft of the stick where it goes into the panel.  However this animation is not modelled, so you have no way to set the trim properly for takeoff.

52 minutes ago, haskell said:

The SR22 is fuel injected. So the mixture control should have no effect at all on the engine. 

That's not true.  Although they work via different mechanisms, the mixture control in a fuel-injected engine works the same as carbureted.

Edited by C525B
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, C525B said:

That's not true.  Although they work via different mechanisms, the mixture control in a fuel-injected engine works the same as carbureted.

My bad. I was confused. It the PROP control that is automatic in the SR22 and, hence, missing the lever. The mixture control is alive and well. I stand corrected. 

• Like 1

Eddie
KABQ

13 hours ago, haskell said:

I fly my own SR22 (real not sim) and you need the mixture control in order to fly lean of peak EGT. That is how Cirrus owners fly their aircraft in order to maintain clean engines and conserve fuel.

. Max fuel flow should be closer to 27 gph, but it seems to be maxed at 22.   It looks to me that inclusion  of the SR22 is a rush job that should have been held back until properly tested. Then Torquesim SR22 on Xplane is much more realistic.

• Like 1