Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Which setting did you find is the biggest FPS killer?

Hi.  From your tinkering with the settings, which setting(s) is the biggest FPS killer in the game?  Some people mention that render scaling has a large impact on your FPS.  And people are also saying that AI traffic hurts the FPS.

What settings did you find have the biggest impact on the FPS?

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Having V Sync enabled killed my system off completely to the point where I dropped everything to medium and still wasn’t great. Disabled it and I was able to get back to high with some ultra settings.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Having V Sync enabled killed my system off completely to the point where I dropped everything to medium and still wasn’t great. Disabled it and I was able to get back to high with some ultra settings.

Nice.  I'll have to try the V Sync trick and see if it helps my FPS.

The render scaling setting...I posted a topic on it but it got buried. 

100 should be fine for 4k but anything less than 4k then you want to go between 100-150.

I have it set to 130 on my 1440p setup and I get decent frames out of it while still looking sharp.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

Resolution. Going to 2K from 4K doubles my FPS.

I've seen a lot of other responses that imply the game seems to be run well for 1080p but if you go up to 1440p resolution, the FPS takes a huge hit.  It seems at the moment that the game is not optimized for 1440p.

6 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

The render scaling setting...I posted a topic on it but it got buried. 

100 should be fine for 4k but anything less than 4k then you want to go between 100-150.

I have it set to 130 on my 1440p setup and I get decent frames out of it while still looking sharp.

Um, you don't seem to understand what resolution scaling is...

For better perf. (lower res) you need to go below 100. If you raise it above 100, say 120 at 1080p, it will internally render 1296p.

So if you want to gain perf. at 1440p, set it below 100, not above - unless you want a sharper image at the cost of FPS.

• Like 5

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Just now, abrams_tank said:

I've seen a lot of other responses that imply the game seems to be run well for 1080p but if you go up to 1440p resolution, the FPS takes a huge hit.  It seems at the moment that the game is not optimized for 1440p.

There is no optimization. More pixels, more GPU load, less FPS. It‘s a linear metric.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

7 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

For better perf. (lower res) you need to go below 100. If you raise it above 100, say 120 at 1080p, it will internally render 1296p.

So if you want to gain perf. at 1440p, set it below 100, not above - unless you want a sharper image at the cost of FPS.

thats true, for fluid (>60fps) Multiplayer experience i run at 4k with renderscaling between 50 - 70 (depends where we fly).

Going from high to ultra clouds I lose 10 fps

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

17 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

If you set it below 100  @ 1440p the images look horrible so you have to go a bit higher.

5 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Going from high to ultra clouds I lose 10 fps

Wow.  That's a new one. I didn't know incrementing the one setting for clouds will reduce FPS by 10!  I wonder if it's because going from high to ultra for clouds requires that much more rendering, whereas I wonder if going from medium to high for clouds will have the same impact.

Ok I noticed something really important for my own sake: Changing from fullscreen to windowed mode let me change the resolution down to 2k. I have a ultra wide screen that runs natively on 3440 x 1440 at 100mhz refresh. If I try to downscale that to 2k, that simply looks terrible in fullscreen. Everything gets warped. If I change to windowed I can have it fullscreen (windowed) at 2k, and get buttersmooth performance on ultra. 

However, I still get a problem with blurries, but as soon as things come closer, its ultra sharp. I have NCP set to vsync on at 50fps and the card set to quality (2080ti rog strix). 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

20 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

thats true, for fluid (>60fps) Multiplayer experience i run at 4k with renderscaling between 50 - 70 (depends where we fly).

Why don't you run it at a lower resolution and then scale it UP to 4K? That should give you a considerable amount of FPS without any noticeably drop in quality towards native 4K.