Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

SOOO Hyperthreading or not Hyperthreading ?

Same: i7 4770K @ 4,5Ghz, no HT clogging up 100% a lot causing lots of stutter, low FPS.

After enabling HT with same OC freq, PC crashed while running FS2020. Removed HT again, no more crash but still the same high temps (80+) and CPU a lot of the time at 100%, game at extra low settings.

Lowered OC to 4,2Ghz and enabled HT, result: stutters reduced with 95%, with game capped at 30 FPS, CPU +/- at 40-50% (occasionally still hits 100%, mostly while loading the flight), temps around 55-60°C and with game at medium settings.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

I would say approx. 50% here is hyperventilating because its the "worst flight sim" we have ever seen.

The other 50% is enjoying what we have right now.

In my opinion, without hyperventilating is always the better way to go.

Or did i understand something wrong? 🧐

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

9 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

I would say approx. 50% here is hyperventilating because its the "worst flight sim" we have ever seen.

The other 50% is enjoying what we have right now.

In my opinion, without hyperventilating is always the better way to go.

Or did i understand something wrong? 🧐

I think you understood it wrong. 

• Like 1

I mean I've enjoyed what I can see (after enabling HT) but I also literally can't load a free flight at any airport near a city without the thing CTDing, so...

I'm not exactly hyperventilating, but am I a satisfied customer? What do you think?

James

I think you follow your little advice and keep calm and fly on...

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

NO Difference- No Improvement.  

I heard some folks saying enabling Hyper-threading boost their performance in MSF2020; so I decided to try it myself but saw no improvement.   The following are my Specs:  (Could it be just another one of our famous placebo effects ?? )

Intel 9900K @ 5.2 Ghz, 

32 Gb RAM @ 4000Mhz

Nvidia 2080 Super  (Super-dooper with extra OC )

The Developer Mode indicates: " Limited by GPU"  As predicted,  I guess I need an even more Super-doped  card like the 3090, huh?  Well. I'm definitely going for at least the  EVGA 3080

Edited by joemiller
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, joemiller said:

I heard some folks saying enabling Hyper-threading boost their performance in MSF2020; so I decided to try it myself but saw no improvement.   The following are my Specs:  (Could it be just another one of our famous placebo effects ?? )

Intel 9900K @ 5.2 Ghz, 

32 Gb RAM @ 4000Mhz

The Developer Mode indicates: " Limited by GPU"  As predicted,  I guess I need an even more Super-doped  card like the 3090, huh?  Well. I'm definitely going for at least the  EVGA 3080

Ditto and really wondering if this is begging for a 3090 unfortunately....

Are you good with the 32GB of RAM or think more would help?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

2 hours ago, Flyfaster said:

32 Gb is by far more-than-enough. Even at all sliders at  Ultra (testing only), 4K on a 70 inch monitor, on dense NY, RAM barely reach 60% usage. I've heard some folks have 64Gb of RAM (yikes.. or maybe they are doing video editing while simmering?)  Simming?  😄  But, then, you can't enjoy simming if you're doing other stuff on your computer.

• Like 1

I have an i7 7700.  I actually upgraded from an i5 7400 to get an i7 just for hyperthreading.  And what a difference it makes.  If you only have a 4 core processor, then hyperthreading I would say is a must.  

Edited by wthomas33065
repeated sentence removed.

3700k and I registered about 2% better performance with HT enabled - negligible, could have been anything.

On the AMD side, doesn't seem to make any difference.

12 hours ago, joemiller said:

Intel 9900K @ 5.2 Ghz, 

32 Gb RAM @ 4000Mhz

11 hours ago, Flyfaster said:

5 hours ago, AugustsEve said:

3700k and I registered about 2% better performance with HT enabled - negligible, could have been anything.

On the AMD side, doesn't seem to make any difference.

It’s going to make a difference on older CPU models with fewer cores. Because they’re using directx 11 still it apparently can’t effectively use more than about 4 cores from what I’ve seen people more familiar with directx talking about. I’m going to take that info myself and return to using CPU rendering in streaming. I’ve been using the NVENC2 encoder and tonight I learned the hard way it chokes above 80-85% GPU usage. Of course I’ll have to do testing to make sure it doesn’t eat into my sim FPS lol.

But anyway, yeah modern current gen high core/thread count CPUs it won’t matter. Depending on your use case though like streaming while flying or recording for later use then you may benefit from it overall. Really there’s no reason not to leave it on except possibly in the case of Intel and pushing overclocks. AMD it’s not worth it to even overclock unless you’re trying to push performance in a multithreaded scenario with 3000 series and above because they work like GPUs now and you’ll get higher automatic boosting on 1-2 cores than you could get stable on all cores 24/7. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Well, one thing for sure. This sim is hungry for a more powerful GPU than we currently have. I believe 3080 will be a great choice; however, I don't understand why Nvidia only added 10Gb of memory.  They could have at least added 12 Gb. 

Big Navi:  We don't know much about AMD Big Navi.  But, a few leaks seem indicate they will be at 16Gb or  Memory. But, not sure how good they will be for MSFS2020.  I have never owned an AMD card. 

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

Well, one thing for sure. This sim is hungry for a more powerful GPU than we currently have. I believe 3080 will be a great choice; however, I don't understand why Nvidia only added 10Gb of memory.  They could have at least added 12 Gb. 

Big Navi:  We don't know much about AMD Big Navi.  But, a few leaks seem indicate they will be at 16Gb or  Memory. But, not sure how good they will be for MSFS2020.  I have never owned an AMD card. 

Remember it is much faster RAM and if they keep the delta large enough from the highest end card, they can upsell you to it and make more profit $.  The delta is, as you say, rather stunning in the disparity between the 2...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

That 10GB is really surprising for sure.  I've heard rumors there's a 3070Ti/Super model coming that will have 16GB but we'll have to see if that actually happens.  If it does that would be a sweet spot in price/performance for sure if Nvidia's claims of the standard 3070 outperforming a 2080Ti are in fact true.

34 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Remember it is much faster RAM and if they keep the delta large enough from the highest end card, they can upsell you to it and make more profit $.  The delta is, as you say, rather stunning in the disparity between the 2...

Part of the big price difference is the 3090 is essentially a new Titan card, they just decided to name it 3090 instead of having yet another Titan model to confuse people.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro