Sign in to follow this  
KeithHenry

TBM Hot Start

Can't get the TBM to start without the ITT going WAY over 1400.  Every red light and alarm flashing.

I make sure that the fuel is cutoff before engaging the starter (or loading the plane for that matter) but no amount of monkeying with fuel, blowing out the engine (leaving starter run extra) etc helps.

Anyone else having this issue?

Keith Henry

Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada

CYQU

25 minutes ago, KeithHenry said:

Can't get the TBM to start without the ITT going WAY over 1400.  Every red light and alarm flashing.

I make sure that the fuel is cutoff before engaging the starter (or loading the plane for that matter) but no amount of monkeying with fuel, blowing out the engine (leaving starter run extra) etc helps.

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm no expert, but are you waiting until 13 NG to add fuel (low setting)?  Waiting to see 30 NG within 30 seconds?  Once stabilized at around 53 NG (at least that is the mark in in the TBM 900), move to flight idle.  If you wait too long and leave it in the low setting, it is prone to overheating because the prop is not spinning fast enough.  Also, i'm not sure how much is simulated, but make sure you start the process with a cool engine and a good battery.

Edited by MarkSC
  • Like 1

I was waiting for the 13 to introduce fuel, yes, but was leaving it in Low Idle setting waiting for the ITT to settle down.   Which it never does.

Thank you for your help.  Moving the lever to High idle (And then taxi) once 53 NG stabilized solved the problem.  I can go flying, finally!

Keith Henry

CYQU

Yep... This thing is a hot mess.

Thanks for your help though.  At least I was able to get it in the air to discover it's issues. 🤣

Keith Henry

CYQU

While I find the TBM a lot of fun to fly  and it's my go-to airplane in MSFS, it has to be mentioned that it's far (no wait - F A R ) from being a representation of the real thing. And that begins - but not ends - with the flight model, that seems to be taken directly from FSX. And therefore the whole Turboprop simulation is highly unrealistic, showing already when starting the engine according to the built in checklist. And it continues with climbing to higher altitudes and the Torque rising - and so on, and so on....

So: take it as a game, have fun, and to avoid the ITT rising follow the great tutorial from @thecorporatepilotdad.

And if you want a better Turboprop representation, it's surely no mistake to vote here.

Edit.  Uuuh: just recognised it's a veeeeery old thread: sorry for bumping 😌

Edited by Tom_L

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Tom_L said:

While I find the TBM a lot of fun to fly  and it's my go-to airplane in MSFS, it has to be mentioned that it's far (no wait - F A R ) from being a representation of the real thing. And that begins - but not ends - with the flight model, that seems to be taken directly from FSX. And therefore the whole Turboprop simulation is highly unrealistic, showing already when starting the engine according to the built in checklist. And it continues with climbing to higher altitudes and the Torque rising - and so on, and so on....

So: take it as a game, have fun, and to avoid the ITT rising follow the great tutorial from @thecorporatepilotdad.

And if you want a better Turboprop representation, it's surely no mistake to vote here.

Thanks for calling it a great tutorial! Lots of effort went into that video.  I've done at least 35-40 tutorials and that one by far took the longest, but I enjoyed it the most.  And yes, it is a game. There are lots of things that happen in FS2020 that do not happen in real life flying.