Sign in to follow this  
767lover

SSD install question

I guess I should have asked this before the storm, but I need to know whether my motherboard still has a slot for a new SSD. I have a 10 year old ASUS P67 deluxe that already has a HDD and SSD installed on. Can I attached a picture to these posts, as I made some pics of my motherboard? Next to the slot where my other SSD is connected, there seem to be 2 more similar slots, one blue and one white.  Anyone know the difference and whether these are the right slots (it says SATA 6G next to them)? 

Second, there are still power plugs running from the power supply. Some of these plugs branch from cables that have already other devices hooked up to them, as in series. I presume it is thus not a problem to hook up more devices on 1 cable?

A member of this forum kindly suggested these 3 SSD drives for me:

• Western Digital Blue 3D
  • SanDisk Ultra 3D
  • Crucial MX500

An external SSD would be more convenient, but I suppose not as fast?

Thanks!

I'm downloading to a Samsung T5 external SSD which is connected via a USB 3.2 C cable. I tested it last week and it pretty consistently got about 550 MB/s transfer rates, which was about 4 times better than my internal HDD and I'm assuming equivalent to my internal SATA SSD.

Your motherboard has total of eight internal SATA ports. Four of those are SATA 3 (6Gbps) and four of those are SATA 2 (3Gbps). Two white/gray are connected to P67 chipset and are SATA3, while four light blue are SATA 2. Two navy blue/ dark blue are connected to Marvell PCIe 9128 controller and also support SATA 3. Both eSATA ports on I/O connect with JMB362 controller and are SATA 2 only.

In a nutshell, you should use grey and dark blue internal ports as these are SATA 3, and yes, you can expand your storage easily. Each connector stack has to plugs for a total of eight.

Daisy chaining SSD power poses no issues unless PSU or SATA power cables are not up to par.

Edited by Evros

18 minutes ago, Evros said:

Your motherboard has total of eight internal SATA ports. Four of those are SATA 3 (6Gbps) and four of those are SATA 2 (3Gbps). Two white/gray are connected to P67 chipset and are SATA3, while four light blue are SATA 2. Two navy blue/ dark blue are connected to Marvell PCIe 9128 controller and also support SATA 3. Both eSATA ports on I/O connect with JMB362 controller and are SATA 2 only.

In a nutshell, you should use grey and dark blue internal ports as these are SATA 3, and yes, you can expand your storage easily. Each connector stack has to plugs for a total of eight.

Daisy chaining SSD power poses no issues unless PSU or SATA power cables are not up to par.

Brilliant, thanks all for the tips!

I presume MSFS does not need to be installed on the same SSD windows is installed on?

Edited by 767lover

Installs on other drives fine, but things can be inconsistent if using Steam apparently. Seems like most issues people are having are with Steam. Maybe try the Xbox Gamepass for PC (only $1 right now), though you only get STD for now.

That is what I use, I'll buy the game later, for $1 for now great deal.

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 minute ago, 767lover said:

I presume MSFS does not need to be installed on the same SSD windows is installed on?

No, you can specify bulk installation path during initial setup.