Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Too Complicated For Old Men

I have bought every MS Flight Sim through the years starting with the Sub Logic one way back when up to and including FSX, then even P3D. So I am what would be called an old hand at this, maybe. But, I have no experience with any Game  and have never even held a game controller. This new MSFS is way too complicated for us old guys. It has been developed by the best Game devs in the world, and it shows. It installs and operates like a game.  After messing around with it all day, I have it flying, but have not been able to hook up with my friends on line, even though it says we are connected, etc. The scenery is very good, but getting there has been a chore and I am not done yet. I am sur  that my Great Grand Children could get it going in a snap because they have grown up with games, but I may not live long enough to master this one. It would have been nice if there were some instructions to guide us. I am sure that in time it will become second nature to most people, but MS sure left s old timers behind with this launch. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I think in the settings you can run the sim in the FSX legacy mode . Might we worth a try .

I'm 75 and doing ok with it, thank you. But I don't do airliners. Love the small GA aircraft. For me that it where it really shines.

• Like 18
  • Upvote 7

Its menus are  different than its predecessor and p3d and xplane.. its just going to take a bit to get used to .. for everyone.  Most of the people zipping around the menus had the alpha/beta

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

Start with the C152 flying lessons! It will help you with the new controls and getting used to the new sim 😀

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Air1 said:

I'm 75 and doing ok with it, thank you. But I don't do airliners. Love the small GA aircraft. For me that it where it really shines.

Love your attitude! 👍😎

• Like 3

i think this is about the easiest  sim,. right out of the box.

on youtube, Squirell has some good setting up vids, dont give up, you will get the hang of it.

when we get older, learning takes a lil bit longer, but so what, we also have more time.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

I have bought every MS Flight Sim through the years starting with the Sub Logic one way back when up to and including FSX, then even P3D. So I am what would be called an old hand at this, maybe. But, I have no experience with any Game  and have never even held a game controller. This new MSFS is way too complicated for us old guys. It has been developed by the best Game devs in the world, and it shows. It installs and operates like a game.  After messing around with it all day, I have it flying, but have not been able to hook up with my friends on line, even though it says we are connected, etc. The scenery is very good, but getting there has been a chore and I am not done yet. I am sur  that my Great Grand Children could get it going in a snap because they have grown up with games, but I may not live long enough to master this one. It would have been nice if there were some instructions to guide us. I am sure that in time it will become second nature to most people, but MS sure left s old timers behind with this launch. 

Speak for yourself! MSFS has to be "the" most user-friendly flight sim since the dawn of man. And, IT'S NOT A GAME!! Anyway, if you need help give this old codger a shout.

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

3 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Speak for yourself! MSFS has to be "the" most user-friendly flight sim since the dawn of man. And, IT'S NOT A GAME!! Anyway, if you need help give this old codger a shout.

I am speaking for myself. I didn't say it's a game, I said it operates like a game, I think. Gamers designed it, and MS is trying to attract the gaming market buyers. I understand this. Have you or do you use any games and/or a gaming controller? I think that people who are used to playing games will adapt much more quickly to this sim than others. Case in point to me is the camera/view usage. With FSX and P3D I can use the S and A keys to change cycle through my views and use the hat switch on my yoke to pan around in any of those views. In this sim, so far for me, I can't find a way to do this. You need to use both hands on the keyboard to get to some of the views with this sim, unless I am missing something. Anyhow, I am glad you have mastered it in such a short time. Maybe I will too down the line. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

I am speaking for myself. I didn't say it's a game, I said it operates like a game, I think. Gamers designed it, and MS is trying to attract the gaming market buyers. I understand this. Have you or do you use any games and/or a gaming controller? I think that people who are used to playing games will adapt much more quickly to this sim than others. Case in point to me is the camera/view usage. With FSX and P3D I can use the S and A keys to change cycle through my views and use the hat switch on my yoke to pan around in any of those views. In this sim, so far for me, I can't find a way to do this. You need to use both hands on the keyboard to get to some of the views with this sim, unless I am missing something. Anyhow, I am glad you have mastered it in such a short time. Maybe I will too down the line. 

You can do as I did and configured a hat switch on my joystick as free lock around and a button on the joystick to switch between inside and outside view.

Please check below video from Squirrel, it's very good and informative

6 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

and also, do as squirrel shows and set your controls slightly less sensitive, I've set mine (Saitek X52) at -20% with 5% dead zone, after that the controls feel great.

I am a 76 year old codger and would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know the size of the *installed* premium deluxe edition.  My install seems to be 96.1 GB, and I believe this to be the *basic* install. It is apparent that I am unable to "overstall" [is that a word :)] the deluxe or premium edition.  Thanks.

M.

• Upvote 1

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

I find it the opposite, much more user friendly when compared to past versions of FSX, Prepar3D and much more easier than X-Plane for sure.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'lll be 75 this year. I've been using PCs since the DOS days.

I think that the installation is more complicated than the sim.

I wonder what spyware comes with the sim.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

take a bit of chew at beginning as all sim

after few hours of chewing; have a sleep and start again; after a sleep for some reason what done before it all fall into place and become clearer