Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Well, finally got to try it on my very modest pc

Well after finally getting to try the new sim after a long days work and a 2 hour download which went off without a hitch, I finally had a chance to give it a quick go. 

Seems to be quite a broad spectrum of opinions on it so figured I’d give mine. My pc is very modest, I’m running an I7 7700, 12gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb card. My impressions so far...WOW, I am extremely impressed, kudos to Microsoft on this one. my performance is great on high settings in clear skies, rain, overcast etc. In the a320, caravan or Cessna 172. Seems i get nothing below 40 FPS so far which is more than acceptable given my system. My resolution is lower, 1920x1080. But wow does this ever look awesome. The ground, the way it looks, being able to navigate by roads in my area. I am convinced this truly is the future of simming.

Sure there are some quirks, but as a simmer since fs95 and my initial experience with msfs(2020), I hate to say it as I truly enjoyed my p3d time and am thankful, but I truly don’t think I can go back to p3d, even without my PMDG’s and A2A’s. The clouds, the rain coming off the windscreen, the immersion when it’s raining and cloudy with a mix of sun. This has truly exceeded my expectations, And the best part, it can only get better.

I have a lot of settings to tinker with, and controls to set etc. But my experience so far has been jaw dropping. This is truly a great time for the flight simulation community.

I am extremely happy with my purchase, no regrets, and definitely feel like I got my money’s worth and then some. Hope the majority are enjoying it as much as I am! 

cheers!

• Like 16

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 minute ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Well after finally getting to try the new sim after a long days work and a 2 hour download which went off without a hitch, I finally had a chance to give it a quick go. 

Seems to be quite a broad spectrum of opinions on it so figured I’d give mine. My pc is very modest, I’m running an I7 7700, 12gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb card. My impressions so far...WOW, I am extremely impressed, kudos to Microsoft on this one. my performance is great on high settings in clear skies, rain, overcast etc. In the a320, caravan or Cessna 172. Seems i get nothing below 40 FPS so far which is more than acceptable given my system. My resolution is lower, 1920x1080. But wow does this ever look awesome. The ground, the way it looks, being able to navigate by roads in my area. I am convinced this truly is the future of simming.

Sure there are some quirks, but as a simmer since fs95 and my initial experience with msfs(2020), I hate to say it as I truly enjoyed my p3d time and am thankful, but I truly don’t think I can go back to p3d, even without my PMDG’s and A2A’s. The clouds, the rain coming off the windscreen, the immersion when it’s raining and cloudy with a mix of sun. This has truly exceeded my expectations, And the best part, it can only get better.

I have a lot of settings to tinker with, and controls to set etc. But my experience so far has been jaw dropping. This is truly a great time for the flight simulation community.

I am extremely happy with my purchase, no regrets, and definitely feel like I got my money’s worth and then some. Hope the majority are enjoying it as much as I am! 

cheers!

I can share the same opinion overall im extremely happy with my purchase. Like i mentioned before in other threads i was fully aware this was going to be exactly what i had experienced so far needs work but that has been the same with every other simulator that had been released..... 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

1 hour ago, rtodepart said:

I can share the same opinion overall im extremely happy with my purchase. Like i mentioned before in other threads i was fully aware this was going to be exactly what i had experienced so far needs work but that has been the same with every other simulator that had been released..... 

Same here.  I7 6700K OC'd to 4.5GHZ with 16GB RAM (16 more will be here tomorrow just in case) with a 1080TI.  I purposely started out at JFK to tune the sim during night time with inclement weather.  GPU utilized at around 98%, CPU AVG utilization around 75%.  AVG FPS running around 28, but again this is worse case scenario out of one of the most taxing airports in the sim.  Ran it at 4K on purpose as well with rendering down to 60.   After that torture test and tuning of the graphics setting (running most settings on high), took the cub out to one of the Caribbean islands and averaged around 55 FPS with overcast skies.  The props are definitely tuned better than the airliners.  Seems the glass cockpits of the airliners really take a toll on the sim.

Edited by DylanC

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

You have to stop with the FPS, its meaningless if the the controls are awful. FPS is not the problem, control is. It really reminds me of Y-Plane 2.1 because you cant compare or get booted. I would love to know how the trailers were recorded. I would love to be a developer on this and get paid for clearly checking out on Alpha and Beta...

• Like 1

Chris Chiozza

I thought this is why when FSX first came out, a lot of 3rd party developers shied away from glass cockpits due to the FPS hit. 

This is why I was surprised when I saw so many (most) of the default planes had glass. 

• Like 1

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

The installer defaulted me to 'low end' thanks to my GTX 965M 2GB GPU that doesn't meet the minimum requirements.  I also use JFK and the NY area as my test case.  In the default cessna I was able to get it to 20-25ish FPS and smooth enough to fly.

There is a GIANT caveat here.  I had to bump the resolution down to 1280x720 in order to use the 'High' graphics settings.  

I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the sim on low end.  Such a limited draw distance and blob like clouds many buildings missing super ugly textures.  

Running high with a low resolution gives me back the candy as long as i can live with the jaggies.  I'm gonna give it a fair shot and see if i can deal.  Most text is readable so it might just hold me off till I can one day get a new machine for this, most likely an Xbox Series X as i have game pass ultimate and am a diehard Forza fan. In fact my Xbox One X may one day run this better than my laptop. 

• Like 1

Mine's below minimum spec with an i5-3570K and it will run around 15-25 FPS @ 1920x1080. I have a GTX 1060 6GB card as well (plus 16 GB DDR3), setting the detail level down to low or medium doesn't make much difference so I leave it on high. I'm pretty sure the CPU is the bottleneck, it's pretty old but at least I can get a taste of the game with Game Pass Ultimate. Hoping it runs good on the Xbox Series X.

• Like 1

Redline65's post is excellent for those with low end systems to think about before investing in hardware.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

12 hours ago, SlowFlyer said:

I thought this is why when FSX first came out, a lot of 3rd party developers shied away from glass cockpits due to the FPS hit. 

This is why I was surprised when I saw so many (most) of the default planes had glass. 

All new (or used refurbished) planes now have glass. Rarely see steam gauges in cockpits these days.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Check out my post where I posted a screenshot of what I'm getting performance wise on a pc that's even weaker than yours. 

On 8/19/2020 at 3:42 AM, flyinpilot212121 said:

cheers!

I wonder why yours is so much better than so many others out there. My specs are i5 4670k, 16gb RAM, RTX2060, on high I get around 15-30, may in the 40's and beyond now and then but it's never smooth, even on low it doesn't make much difference. I've tried caching the terrain, turning of all AI, staying away from cities, makes no difference. Do you use Steam, maybe that's it?

Believe it or not I'm running it on my Gen 1 i7-920 O/C @ 4Ghz (BLCK 200Mhz)  with 12GB RAM and a GTX960 Strix O/C 120%. I do get the odd lockup but thats my fault with the O/C of the CPU/RAM happens with all apps. 

Anyway its very playable even with High Settings (or Ultra in low density areas) albeit not super smooth on average I would say around 20fps. on a Sydney to Melbourne flight. 

Probably could do wtih more RAM - 16GB would be comfortable - but I'm limited by the old tri-channel memory architecture with 6 x 2GB sticks all I can fit unless I upgrade so will probably wait till I replace the whole thing.

Either way quite impressed by the amount of rendering going on with reasonable frame rates on a 12 year old system ! 

On 8/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, flyinpilot212121 said:

cheers!

You need a new system right away.

Should donate your old hardware to some worthy avsimmer.

Dibs on FlyinPilots giveaway !!!

(Maybe I won't need to buy a new one after all).😝

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

12 hours ago, lifeofbrian said:

I wonder why yours is so much better than so many others out there. My specs are i5 4670k, 16gb RAM, RTX2060, on high I get around 15-30, may in the 40's and beyond now and then but it's never smooth, even on low it doesn't make much difference. I've tried caching the terrain, turning of all AI, staying away from cities, makes no difference. Do you use Steam, maybe that's it?

No I’m not using the steam version, I’ve tried it in a heavy area and it dipped to about 32fps. But nothing lower so far. 

maybe it’s the screen res? I don’t use 4K or 2K as my system wouldn’t handle it. Setting are on high which was the recommendation upon simulator start up(which I was surprised). Only have 12gb ram as well, Computer is ONLY used for flight simulator, nothing else, no other gaming etc. as I don’t game. Also a side note, I base it on the built in FPS counter, not an outside program however the sim runs great so not worried and the Accuracy of the built in FPS counter

I have yet to try AI also so maybe that’s why?

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.