Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

What the heck was going on in Alpha/Beta?

3 minutes ago, strider1 said:

I get bored of VFR simming in minutes unless it's real life. I need a mission or challenge. That where IFR kicks my word not allowed! With every new beta I would load up a VFR flight and hit Direct to the nearest airport and try and load up procedure with no success.

I started a flight in the Cessna 152 in Los Angeles and flew to Dallas, which took several legs and the scenery going down highway 40 was incredible.  I even saw several trains.  Then I flew back via highways 20, 10 and 8.  That was a mission and a challenge in itself. 🙂  No GPS, no Direct-To.  Follow the roads.  Real world weather.  Skyvector.com for real world charts.

Or flying to and from Barbados, same conditions.  Every flight is an adventure. Too busy doing manual navigation to ever get bored.  

I never used the in-sim flight planner;  everything was done in skyvector.com with some assistance from Little Navmap and an occasional glance at VFR Map.

I can't wait for a decent DC-3 to do an around the world flight.

Hook

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 minute ago, DarkSoulitude said:

There sure are a lot of ****hurt testers in here angry that they're being called out for not doing anything.

You'll understand when you're older.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

6 minutes ago, Mark_A said:

Just fly the sim - it’s great.

Im sure nobody will be going back to P3D or X-Plane which says it all.

Xplane still has fantastic 3 party GA addons with amazing default avionics and flight dynamics, on top of descent scenery with addons. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I am more than happy, $1:00 on game pass is great value.  If it isn't up to snuff, oh well, there is plenty of other stuff until it is.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, strider1 said:

Xplane still has fantastic 3 party GA addons with amazing default avionics and flight dynamics, on top of descent scenery with addons. 

Imagine going back to X-Plane. Yikers.

2 minutes ago, philphy42 said:

I am more than happy, $1:00 on game pass is great value.  If it isn't up to snuff, oh well, there is plenty of other stuff until it is.  

Thats what I paid too!

• Like 1

Eric Escobar

56 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Seems like this is how it happens on real aircraft, or you wouldn't be advancing the mixture beyond max power to get additional cooling.

Not something I've ever had to worry about in the real world though.

And we know for a fact that in the real world the engine might not start, even at sea level, with the mixture set to full rich.

Hook

Well set to full rich when cranking the starter yes, but a Cessna 172 in real life should achieve its maximum fuel flow at a fully rich mixture setting. You start it by getting a bit of fuel injected by going mixture and throttle full rich with the fuel pump on, then going throttle 1/4 in and mixture cut off and cranking the starter. 

Definitely shouldn’t have decreased performance with the mixture full rich at sea level than with the mixture leaned, and most definitely shouldn’t get a higher fuel flow rate by pulling the mixture out! (I mean the mixture literally controls the fuel flow rate!)

• Like 1

Could a tester mention whether the install issues were reported during the Alpha/Beta, or if it would have taken more testers with slower connections and systems to uncover them? I'm still so baffled how this client made it out of Beta.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

It's just the level of outrage here on the forum that's ridiculous.

Isn't this supposed to be AVSIM,

Yeah you are right, this is AVSIM, just go back and look at the reaction after the release of every single flight sim. You will see a level of outrage that would make a sane person believe the world is about to end ( touch wood )

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Could a tester mention whether the install issues were reported during the Alpha/Beta, or if it would have taken more testers with slower connections and systems to uncover them? I'm still so baffled how this client made it out of Beta.

Yes they were mentioned many times.

Edited by michaelray
spelling
  • Like 1

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

6 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I started a flight in the Cessna 152 in Los Angeles and flew to Dallas, which took several legs and the scenery going down highway 40 was incredible.  I even saw several trains.  Then I flew back via highways 20, 10 and 8.  That was a mission and a challenge in itself. 🙂  No GPS, no Direct-To.  Follow the roads.  Real world weather.  Skyvector.com for real world charts.

Or flying to and from Barbados, same conditions.  Every flight is an adventure. Too busy doing manual navigation to ever get bored.  

I never used the in-sim flight planner;  everything was done in skyvector.com with some assistance from Little Navmap and an occasional glance at VFR Map.

I can't wait for a decent DC-3 to do an around the world flight.

Hook

I need to re-read Rod Machado chapter 14: VFR flight planning! 

• Like 1

Eric Escobar

4 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Could a tester mention whether the install issues were reported during the Alpha/Beta

Once or twice. 😄  I think we still had testers who never did get the sim installed.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

6 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

There was always install issues with each new beta.

Eric Escobar

7 minutes ago, philphy42 said:

Yeah you are right, this is AVSIM, just go back and look at the reaction after the release of every single flight sim. You will see a level of outrage that would make a sane person believe the world is about to end ( touch wood )

Are you into photography? The Sony Alpha Forums make Avsim look like kindergarten!

Edited by strider1

Eric Escobar

7 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Are you into photography? The Sony Alpha Forums make Avsim look like kindergarten!

Yeah... there was a thread in Hanger Chat "New filters with std 40mm threads?" and I thought he was talking about cameras!  You remember those... the ones with actual film? 😄 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins