Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

What the heck was going on in Alpha/Beta?

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well.... Steam was reporting over 60,000 people on at once.......

That is a good number, but IMO that is just a tiny bit compared to what Steram can handle.
Today Early morning there were 876,044 players just using Conter-Strike (whatever that is)

Would love to ONE day see that number playing MSFS

Edited by RamonB

4 minutes ago, RamonB said:

That is a good number, but IMO that is just a tiny bit compared to what Steram can handle.
Today Early morning there were 876,044 players just using Conter-Strike (whatever that is)

Would love to ONE day see that number playing MSFS

Of course, it all goes through the MS servers, and who knows how many people were also flying via Gamepass.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, RamonB said:

It's not a question of what Steam can handle. All Steam does is act as an authorization gateway and game launcher. Then it it hands off any multiplayer or streamed content to each individual game company's remote servers. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

9 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

It's not a question of what Steam can handle. All Steam does is act as an authorization gateway and game launcher. Then it it hands off any multiplayer or streamed content to each individual game company's remote servers. 

I know what You are saying and fully agree.
I was thinking more about the number of MSFS steam users. My post was not clear on that!

Do we really want to go back 😏

• Like 4

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez,

Short answer is no.   I have been on FS since sublogic days and Bruce Artwick.   We have come a long way.  I am very happy with P3DV5 but the capability of the future of MSFS2020 is easy to see.  I am excited about the future.  Yes are there issues.  I was on the Alpha and Beta teams and most were identified but it is a business decision to release WIP.  I will be patient and not enter into the negative zone.   Great video by the way!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LHookins said:

There were 16,000 of us at the end reporting bugs and glitches.  Some were even getting fixed.  Our purpose wasn't to report bugs, but to stress test the servers. 

As for the bugs, we did our best.  Asobo had an internal team of testers that verified our bugs and passed them on to developers.  Many of us were worried about reactions just like yours. 🙂 

Hook

I luv to hear stuff like this.  Thing to remember though is that there is never nothing to do.

Thanks

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

10 hours ago, ShezA said:

Do we really want to go back 😏

OK,  but it’s a pretty pointless comparison. Unless you’re travelling back in time to 2006, there’s no reason to be flying default FSX. Or FSX at all, we’ve had P3D now for almost 10 years.

For me, it’s MSFS that is “going back”, as i’m trying to remember how you’re meant to fly on a tiny, flat screen after half a decade of VR flying (i can’t imagine flying FSX in 2020, but if I did I’d be doing it with FlyInside). Also I’ve been “going back” to remembering what default, limited-systems airliners and Microsoft ATC are like!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 8/19/2020 at 2:12 AM, Mark_A said:

Just fly the sim - it’s great.

Im sure nobody will be going back to P3D or X-Plane which says it all.

Eventually it will be great. Right now it looks great, but it's too buggy to make people throw away their crutches (P3d5 and xp11).  On my last flight from Point Roberts,WA to Tofino, BC I was realizing that MSFS doesn't really look all that different than P3d5 does at 4K. And the piloting experience isn't as good only because the default aircraft in MSFS can't compete with 3rd party versions in the other two sims. 

But I'm patient. Mostly what's wrong with MSFS will be fixed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

On my last flight from Point Roberts,WA to Tofino, BC I was realizing that MSFS doesn't really look all that different than P3d5 does at 4K.

With or without Orbx PNW ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

it's almost expected with any software.  

And that's the major trouble Dillon. For years unfinished software has been delivered with very little or no comeback so people have become used to accepting faulty software and the fans will defend it.

If you bought a washer/dryer with multiple programmed modes and when you got it home you found half the modes didn't work you'd demand a refund "unfit for purpose" yet because you've been conditioned that faulty software is the norm you accept it.

At least some of the replies inform Norman, and others, that usually unfixed bugs are not usually the fault of the alpha/beta testers.

Edited by Vulcan
"word not allowed" and it wasn't a swear word??
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Eventually it will be great. Right now it looks great, but it's too buggy to make people throw away their crutches (P3d5 and xp11).  On my last flight from Point Roberts,WA to Tofino, BC I was realizing that MSFS doesn't really look all that different than P3d5 does at 4K. And the piloting experience isn't as good only because the default aircraft in MSFS can't compete with 3rd party versions in the other two sims. 

But I'm patient. Mostly what's wrong with MSFS will be fixed.

Agree 100%.  Best statement yet; and I am in the same boat.

Simon

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

With or without Orbx PNW ?

Note, even though Point Roberts Airpark is in WA, it's not included in the ORBX WA photoreal pack, so the answer is ORBX PNW. The rest... EA active and 3D trees (with my texture color corrections for the broadleaf species). My point wasn't that MSFS doesn't look better. It does. It's just that the difference between it and P3d5 isn't all that great once you're off the ground and at even a modest cruising altitude.

One more point. Given that MSFS has a brand new rendering engine and P3d5 has an "same as FSX", "tired out", "10 year old" rendering engine, performance is also about the same. Of course, in reality, the P3d5 engine shares about as much in common with FSX as MSFS does with FSX, which is probably very little.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Note, even though Point Roberts Airpark is in WA, it's not included in the ORBX WA photoreal pack, so the answer is ORBX PNW. The rest... EA active and 3D trees (with my texture color corrections for the broadleaf species). My point wasn't that MSFS doesn't look better. It does. It's just that the difference between it and P3d5 isn't all that great once you're off the ground and at even a modest cruising altitude.

OK, I thought you meant the LC PNW, silly of me.I don’t like what I see in the TE pics and videos promos so I forgot about it. There should be two differences, FS20 is supposed to be ZL19 and TE ZL16 or 17 so the ground should be better at low altitude. Also there a reddish tint in the TE products that I don’t care for much that I don’t see in FS20.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 8/19/2020 at 9:56 AM, Paraffin said:

Helicopters, which will keep me flying XP for a while yet.

Among the several things that astonished me about the development of this sim, is that they had this amazing new way to generate a plausible world on the ground, and not a single default helicopter to enjoy it to the max.

Of course, having seen how basic the flight modeling is now -- just a single wing in the flight model to represent two separate wings for a biplane? -- I hope they take their time with rotary wing aircraft and do it right. Not necessarily a default helicopter from Asobo, but at least a specific rotary wing flight model extension that can be used by 3rd party helicopter devs. Needs more airfoils, guys.

At least the scenery pretty!

Whats more amazing I filed an airspeed indicator bug early in the beta and it was never fixed. DR400 does not cruise at 200KTS! Likewise the Cub does not cruise at 200KTS!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar